Bohr model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much detail do we have to know about Bohr model? I was reading Kaplan review book (first chapter of gen chem) and most of the detail on Bohr model is so dense and boring. I hardly understand the details. I mean I understand the basics of it (like what Bohr determined) but it started talking about wavelength, atomic absorption spectra etc etc. I don't understand the details of it. Do we have to know this? Should I spend alot of time on this?

Interested in hearing from those who took the MCAT already (especially). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should know that when electrons absorb energy, they jump energy levels and when they drop energy levels, they give off electromagnetic radiation (typically light). You should have a solid understanding of all the concepts.

You should know that when electrons absorb energy, they jump energy levels and when they drop energy levels, they give off electromagnetic radiation (typically light). You should have a solid understanding of all the concepts.

dang! does MCAT really test on this sort of stuff? I mean yeah I knew when electrons absorb energy, they jump energy levels etc. But then i was reading about Quantum numbers...I got totally lost.. LOL. I guess I should re-re-re read until it makes sense :)

Yes i just took the mcat and there was one specific question involving quantum numbers, including electron location.

The part about electrons jumping levels mainly comes into play with physics and light phenomena such as why light reflects on metallic substances and why light changes color when passing through dense substances.