Bolc 2 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanedor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else will be there in a couple weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there. Does anyone have any idea of specifics that we'll be doing? It would be nice if we had an itinerary or something. I'm guessing the death by powerpoint will be mostly eliminated since we did the CD training. What about 3 weeks at Camp Bullis, that still a go? And what can we expect there? I haven't heard/read much of anything we'll be doing at BOLC, so if someone could chime in I'd be appreciative. I feel like I'm going in blind and would feel better prepared if I knew what to expect.

Also, someone mentioned they had brought an Xbox last year. What time does our day usually end, i.e. do we have nights free? Do we have rooms with individual TVs or is there some kind of shared entertainment room? Might be nice to bring a small DVD player and movies or something.

I'll be there. Does anyone have any idea of specifics that we'll be doing? It would be nice if we had an itinerary or something. I'm guessing the death by powerpoint will be mostly eliminated since we did the CD training. What about 3 weeks at Camp Bullis, that still a go? And what can we expect there? I haven't heard/read much of anything we'll be doing at BOLC, so if someone could chime in I'd be appreciative. I feel like I'm going in blind and would feel better prepared if I knew what to expect.

Also, someone mentioned they had brought an Xbox last year. What time does our day usually end, i.e. do we have nights free? Do we have rooms with individual TVs or is there some kind of shared entertainment room? Might be nice to bring a small DVD player and movies or something.

I'm at BOLC right now actually. the initial couple of days were here at fort sam. and yes it was dbp mixed with some videos and a play about sexual harassment. Someone was shot on Monday and they locked down the base until the guy was arrested.
We just completed our first week at bullis (land navigation, shooting M16, learning about MEDEVAC etc) and next week we will be there also. The tents hold 30 people and everyone is sleeping on a cot. We've been having formation between 0430 and 5 since Monday. We have hot food for breakfast and dinner, luckily have only been eating MREs for lunch. The third week is here on base training/learning. We're staying in a hotel; most people have 1 roommate but there are a few by themselves. The days have been ending maybe like 7 or so but there are almost always nighttime meetings with the leaders to discuss the next day.
Also if you are HPSP more than likely you will not have to take the APFT unless you are going AD after the class. Of all of us here only 2 people (myself and another girl) had to take the test for "unknown reasons" when the rest of the students did not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the details. :thumbup: to your avatar by the way... love that show. So you guys are spending more like 2 weeks at Bullis then it sounds like? Crazy deal about that shooting. I saw it was at the Medical Dept Center & School... were you guys nearby?

Question: do we have to do pull-ups? I'm great at the situps, pushups, and running, but I'm terrible at pull-ups.

What are the parameters like during training? How Many sets and reps do they have you do? Miles ran at what pace? I'm just trying to have a goal to shoot for. Thx

If you have a smart phone check out APFT score calculator (both iPhone and android). Its free and tells you your score and minimum requirements to pass. Otherwise you can just Google APFT calculator.

Just throwing this out there; but, do you guys know that situps are not a great movement for anyone, especially dentists, to be doing? Even crunches over activate the hip flexers, put stress on a the low back, and can lead to lower cross syndrome. Planks are a much healthier way to activate the abdominal muscles. Core strength can be achieved by doing exercises like planks, side-planks, and front squats.

Why does the military still have people doing situps? Are they aware of the research showing it's not effective and not as safe as other methods?

How much of that CD do we have to remember to get through BOLC? Because I've gotta be honest, I don't think I remember a thing that I learned from that thing.

Yes we spent 2 weeks at bullis and the rest of the time here at base.

During that shooting I was inside that building: another platoon was outside and actually had to hide behind the steps bc the shooter was that close

there are no pull ups...the APFT consists of 2mile run, push and sit ups. the minimum to pass depends on your age/gender...im 23F I think my minimun was 19:46 run, 52 sit ups and 17 push ups. the test is at 0430..however most of you wont be taking this test. out of all the hpsp students here im the ONLY one who had to take it. and when I asked why I was told "for unknown reasons" ..lol go figure

I do not remember much from that CD..actually almost nothing. you will be fine, the most important thing is the info about the weapons and the land navigation.

Can you give us a heads up regarding what items you wish you had brought? The BOLC item list is helpful but I've heard there are items we should think of that aren't on the list. i.e. bug repellant
Also what items/clothing do you wish you had brought more of?

Can you give us a heads up regarding what items you wish you had brought? The BOLC item list is helpful but I've heard there are items we should think of that aren't on the list. i.e. bug repellant
Also what items/clothing do you wish you had brought more of?

-bug spray
-sun screen
-shower shoes
-bathing suit (there is a pool here, seaworld (free) and 6 flags (discounted) are close by)
-small pillow
-about 5 or more pairs of civilian clothes, you can go out on the weekends and after training during the week (I had to buy clothes here :(..don't be like that haha)
-sport bras
-mechanical pencils and black pens

MOST IMPORTANT: if you wear contacts you must get a pair of prescription glasses to wear on the field (camp bullis); the glasses cannot have logos and must be a conservative color (I suggest get black or a very dark blue or brown). Also try your damn hardest to get a military ID before coming here. You need the original or a certified copy of your birth certificate, photo id and orders to get one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why does everyone always give the minimum passing standards for the AFPTest? I want to know what the minimum is to ace the darn thing. Is there no incentive to do well during BOLC or afterward?

You still have to pass the APFT every 6 months once you go on AD.
You can get a perfect for each category (100pts). My understanding from the distance modules was that you receive a score based on how well you do which factors into your review file.

Why does everyone always give the minimum passing standards for the AFPTest? I want to know what the minimum is to ace the darn thing. Is there no incentive to do well during BOLC or afterward?

because it Is more important to pass than it is to ace the PT.
minimum is 60% so take the values from your age/gender group and figure out what 100% would be...that is what you need to ace

You still have to pass the APFT every 6 months once you go on AD.
You can get a perfect for each category (100pts). My understanding from the distance modules was that you receive a score based on how well you do which factors into your review file.

it is possible to do better than perfect.. a girl here scored a 394

Question on the packing list. I received my orders today and will not be able to get uniforms before going there. I was going to order them on the exchange however they said shipping probably wouldn't get it there in time. Was there anyone down there for your course who had to buy their stuff down there? I know you need your IPFU for processing and I don't want to be the only one out of place. Would I have time to get all this stuff before processing?

Question on the packing list. I received my orders today and will not be able to get uniforms before going there. I was going to order them on the exchange however they said shipping probably wouldn't get it there in time. Was there anyone down there for your course who had to buy their stuff down there? I know you need your IPFU for processing and I don't want to be the only one out of place. Would I have time to get all this stuff before processing?

there were some ppl who purchased items here at the military clothing and sales store.
it depends on what time your flight arrives. you could go to the store before signing in at blesse

How much physical training do you do at BOLC? Is the PFT the only thing? Or are there daily runs and conditioning stuff?

And are there people yelling and screaming at you, or is it more laid back than that? Did you ever feel like you couldn't do it and were going to break?

Thanks for the info user101.
When did you see your advance pay? MODS says 1-2 weeks prior but I am still not seeing this reflected.
How much can we expect BAH to be while we are there and is this separate from the O1 salary?

How much physical training do you do at BOLC? Is the PFT the only thing? Or are there daily runs and conditioning stuff?

And are there people yelling and screaming at you, or is it more laid back than that? Did you ever feel like you couldn't do it and were going to break?

there is no PT. the test was taken 4 days after we arrived and a large amount of people failed. they are the only ones who had to do PT everyday after our daily training. not sure if you've seen my other post but none of the hpsp students took the APFT, except for me [idk why].
i haven't been yelled at, but that's bc i haven't done anything wrong. so just come down here and don't screw up and you should be fine. our course is VERY laxed compared to what the enlisted soldiers go through. basically just show up on time and wear the uniform correctly and you wont have any problems

Thanks for the info user101.
When did you see your advance pay? MODS says 1-2 weeks prior but I am still not seeing this reflected.
How much can we expect BAH to be while we are there and is this separate from the O1 salary?

i got my advanced pay 8 days prior to arriving. but i haven't received the $400 clothing allowance. idk how that works bc my roommate got both but she only submitted the pay inquiry to get $1000 and they gave her the $400 also
idk how much BAH will be. I've never asked about the amount but im pretty sure this is in addition to your 2LT pay

We have to submit pay inquiry in order to get paid?? That would have been useful information on the MODS site :/
Do you mind if I ask how you found this out and where you obtained the form?

there is no PT. the test was taken 4 days after we arrived and a large amount of people failed. they are the only ones who had to do PT everyday after our daily training. not sure if you've seen my other post but none of the hpsp students took the APFT, except for me [idk why].
i haven't been yelled at, but that's bc i haven't done anything wrong. so just come down here and don't screw up and you should be fine. our course is VERY laxed compared to what the enlisted soldiers go through. basically just show up on time and wear the uniform correctly and you wont have any problems

NO PT!? WHAT THE ****!?

So it seems kind of funny then that I'm going to BOLC and will probably come home in worse shape than what I'll be in when I get there. Is there like a weight room or a gym facility anywhere that you can use at the end of the day?

We have to submit pay inquiry in order to get paid?? That would have been useful information on the MODS site :/
Do you mind if I ask how you found this out and where you obtained the form?

Yeah this has got me confused too. I didn't even know I was supposed to get money. I want the money too darnit! I went broke after buying the uniform and boots (boots especially). What do I have to to do to make sure I get every cent that is available to me? Since I already bought my uniform I don't need it right now, but before I finish BOLC would be nice.

Third question, sorry that I have seemingly been ignorant of common information, but I am just paranoid and nervous at this point, but I made my arrangements with Carlson and received an invoice and itinerary. Those things are NOT the tickets right? They will be sending an e-ticket to my email sometime soon, right? Or is the itinerary basically the ticket?

We'll be fine, no need to stress out :)

My understanding is that you'll get your ticket when you check in. Just save your itinerary email and pull it up on your smart phone at the airport if you end up needing it.

I emailed Mr Simmons at MODS and we were suppose to submit an advance pay request if we wanted one. He also stated we can submit this request when we in process down there otherwise our active pay will start 7/1 and we will be paid 7/15. Hope this helps :)

We'll be fine, no need to stress out :)

My understanding is that you'll get your ticket when you check in. Just save your itinerary email and pull it up on your smart phone at the airport if you end up needing it.

I emailed Mr Simmons at MODS and we were suppose to submit an advance pay request if we wanted one. He also stated we can submit this request when we in process down there otherwise our active pay will start 7/1 and we will be paid 7/15. Hope this helps :)

Sanedor you're the friggon man, man.

What is each day like at BOLC? What time do you get up and what time do you finish and have some free time?

What is each day like at BOLC? What time do you get up and what time do you finish and have some free time?

I'll answer my own question because I'm here now.

The days generally start at 4:30 AM, which means you get up no later than 4AM. Some days start even earlier depending on what's scheduled. We just had night land navigation that went 3am-8am and was awesome.

Most days end round dinner time, 5 or 6pm. The rumor is that this short BOLC will not be continued after this session because much of the program is being skipped or shortened.

Things that I'm glad I brought: multitool with locking knife, red beam flashlight, camelback.

The camelback is indispensable: you will be required to carry full canteens at all times, but they are much harder to access than a tube on your chest and I only used them to fill the camel. If you bring a backpack, it must be black or proper camo.

Don't worry about your sunglasses meeting the standards, they'll issue you a pair for the weapons range that is fine to wear outside of formation (gathering of soldiers).

I brought 2 sets of camo ACUs, and I think that's the right number. One to wear for the 5 days of training at a time, and a backup pair in case you spill chili all over yourself. Bring at least 5 pairs of army undershirts and socks, but more is better.

Break in your boots before coming. Seriously, there's nothing worse than tearing up your feet on stiff new boots. Some suggestions I've had while here: wear shin-length pantyhose to cut the friction, wet the leather thoroughly and wear them (repeat several times), wear two pairs of socks, bring duct tape and/or moleskin for blisters.

Get in shape before BOLC. Those who fail the first PT test will have to do mandatory PT at the end of those long days and only have a short dinner break.

If you're interested, there are many student leadership positions, and some of them rotate throughout the course so most everyone gets a chance. The company positions (commander, first sergeant, S1, S4) are a big deal and will take a lot of your time, so be ready to volunteer or sit very quietly to avoid being "volun-told."

Bring a small notebook, pens and pencils. Cell phones and computers are almost always stowed away until after the duty day.

Bring every document you can think of needing, because they'll think of things you couldn't imagine they'll want. They aren't kidding when they say 20 copies of your orders. Bring a small waterproof document folder to keep everything straight and dry in your bag.

I'll answer my own question because I'm here now.

The days generally start at 4:30 AM, which means you get up no later than 4AM. Some days start even earlier depending on what's scheduled. We just had night land navigation that went 3am-8am and was awesome.

Most days end round dinner time, 5 or 6pm. The rumor is that this short BOLC will not be continued after this session because much of the program is being skipped or shortened.

Things that I'm glad I brought: multitool with locking knife, red beam flashlight, camelback.

The camelback is indispensable: you will be required to carry full canteens at all times, but they are much harder to access than a tube on your chest and I only used them to fill the camel. If you bring a backpack, it must be black or proper camo.

Don't worry about your sunglasses meeting the standards, they'll issue you a pair for the weapons range that is fine to wear outside of formation (gathering of soldiers).

I brought 2 sets of camo ACUs, and I think that's the right number. One to wear for the 5 days of training at a time, and a backup pair in case you spill chili all over yourself. Bring at least 5 pairs of army undershirts and socks, but more is better.

Break in your boots before coming. Seriously, there's nothing worse than tearing up your feet on stiff new boots. Some suggestions I've had while here: wear shin-length pantyhose to cut the friction, wet the leather thoroughly and wear them (repeat several times), wear two pairs of socks, bring duct tape and/or moleskin for blisters.

Get in shape before BOLC. Those who fail the first PT test will have to do mandatory PT at the end of those long days and only have a short dinner break.

If you're interested, there are many student leadership positions, and some of them rotate throughout the course so most everyone gets a chance. The company positions (commander, first sergeant, S1, S4) are a big deal and will take a lot of your time, so be ready to volunteer or sit very quietly to avoid being "volun-told."

Bring a small notebook, pens and pencils. Cell phones and computers are almost always stowed away until after the duty day.

Bring every document you can think of needing, because they'll think of things you couldn't imagine they'll want. They aren't kidding when they say 20 copies of your orders. Bring a small waterproof document folder to keep everything straight and dry in your bag.

I see what you did there.

"So about the alcohol..."

@lophodont Which platoon were you in?

Attachments

• IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 27