BOLC/ DCC Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamecockfan12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got an email from my recruiter today talking about a new training course called DCC. He said that if I did not complete BOLC this summer, that I would then be required to go to both BOLC and DCC after I graduate (this summer is my only summer off from school). He mentioned that if I waited until after I graduate that I might be delayed getting into a AEGD residency. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this transition and could help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I got an email from my recruiter today talking about a new training course called DCC. He said that if I did not complete BOLC this summer, that I would then be required to go to both BOLC and DCC after I graduate (this summer is my only summer off from school). He mentioned that if I waited until after I graduate that I might be delayed getting into a AEGD residency. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this transition and could help. Thanks!
Here is a great thread for this topic. Also search SDN for keyword DCC for other relevant threads.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...quisite-4-week-program.1170674/#post-17877701

Here are the upcoming dates DCC and BOLC dates.
The class dates are on the atrrs.army.mil website which is fully accessible (no CAC or logon required) - with key words in the search Direct Commission. Here are the Active AMEDD DCC reporting and end dates
12 Feb 2017 ... 13 Mar
11 Jun 2017 ... 10 Jul
5 July 2017 ... 2 Aug
10 Sep 2017 ... 7 Oct
Edit: Here is the 3 week version of the DCC
19 Mar ... 9 Apr
21 May ... 11 June
6 Aug ... 27 Aug

Here are the AMEDD BOLC dates
HPSP BOLC 10 June ... 22 July
AMEDD BOLC
8 Jan ... 3 Mar
14 Mar ... 5 May
11 Jul ... 1 Sep
27 Aug ... 20 Oct

so by that link seems like someone can do DCC and BOLC after graduating AND begin residency/AEGD in late october/november

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been very hesitant to chime in on anything having to do with the DCC/BOLC. The reason being, the guidance that was expected from Department of the Army has been delayed. Without the implementation guidance (i.e. DCC being a pre-requisite to BOLC) there is no real answer as to if this is going to be mandatory this summer or not.

If you signed an oath of office prior to 1 October 2016, it is anticipated that you will NOT have to attend DCC. If your scholarship is to begin this next summer, it would be optimal to attend DCC prior to the start of dental school. Again, less Army guidance, nobody can say if the DCC will be mandatory this summer or not. But what other summer job is going to pay 5K+ for four weeks?

Any updates on the DCC requirement? is this something we should attend this summer if we got the scholarship this year?

Still waiting for Big Army to hand down a decision... I will post as soon as we hear.

@USArmyHPSP question: so as a graduating dental student, if i cannot make the June 10 BOLC, would i be attending the 5 July 2017 ... 2 Aug or 11 July 2017...1 Sep 2017 ??

Not a question that I am qualified to answer. The Army Dental Corps will contact you shortly after the AEGD results are released. They send out a and ask for your grad date. The capacity of each of those BOLC classes at the time along with your grad date will determine which you will go to. But again, I have no visibility of this.

@USArmyHPSP question: so as a graduating dental student, if i cannot make the June 10 BOLC, would i be attending the 5 July 2017 ... 2 Aug or 11 July 2017...1 Sep 2017 ??
Hi, if you think for any reason that you cannot make it to the HPSP BOLC date, you need to let your recruiter know ASAP so they can contact HRC. You should be planning for that June BOLC date.

Still waiting for Big Army to hand down a decision... I will post as soon as we hear.

I received notice today that the DCC (the email called it pre-commissioning) course is back on for June 11, 2017 at Ft. Sill.

I'm currently HPSP, commissioned in April 2016, and will be brought to active duty for the first time this summer prior to my first PCS in September. It seems odd to me that I would go to a pre-commissioning course after being commissioned. I also recall seeing posted in a few places that if you commissioned prior to October 2016, you would be exempt from a course such as this.

I would appreciate any info or insight you might provide! Thank you for all your posts helping us HPSPers out.

The decision was made late last week that there would be a June course. Currently there about 20 seats available on a first come basis. The Director Medical Education put out that anyone who signed a oath after last Sep will have got attend prior to BOLC. All others don't have to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be a 63-A reporting for DCC sept 10 and I've "chosen" my first duty assignment (Ft stewart). It doesn't seem like the BOLC dates for the 2018 fiscal year are posted yet. Any idea when I might start BOLC? If I have an awkward few weeks between DCC and BOLC can I report to my first duty assignment? Do I need to be saving money or would I get paid during that time (I'm working in private practice until 1 sept).

You need to speak with MAJ Martin at 502-613-6554

Reactions: 1 user
I received notice today that the DCC (the email called it pre-commissioning) course is back on for June 11, 2017 at Ft. Sill.

I'm currently HPSP, commissioned in April 2016, and will be brought to active duty for the first time this summer prior to my first PCS in September. It seems odd to me that I would go to a pre-commissioning course after being commissioned. I also recall seeing posted in a few places that if you commissioned prior to October 2016, you would be exempt from a course such as this.

I would appreciate any info or insight you might provide! Thank you for all your posts helping us HPSPers out.

Any update as to those who commissioned BEFORE Oct 2016 and if they are exempt from attending DCC