1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Bone Loss/Gum Disease (quick question)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 321Marie, Oct 12, 2002.

1. 321Marie

321Marie Junior Member

Hi. Quick question.

Can you tell me if bone loss causes gum disease, or if gum disease causes bone loss.

(I hope that question makes sense. I am PRE-menopause and am trying to determine if the cause of a couple areas where my gums are starting to recede is the result of osteopenia/porisis, or the beginnings of gum disease. I know someone with wicked gum disease (where her gums were receding and her teeth were literally falling out) that does not have low bone density (osteoporosis). As for me, I have a couple areas where my gums are receding, but I don't have inflamed, swollen gums, or loose teeth, etc. hmmmm The more I try to figure this all out, the more confused I am getting. {sigh}

I would really appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thank you!

(This link has further info, if the above isn't sufficient. Thanks.)
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47275

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer

Heya,

In most cases it's gum disease that causes bone loss in the jaws. Most common is chronic periodontitis. Plaque and calculus accumulating on tooth surfaces, acting as a constant source of bacteria and toxins, causes inflammation and breakdown of the gums and eventually the teeth-supporting bone underneath. This can be exacerbated by smoking by the way.

There is ongoing research that is trying to determine whether or not osteoporosis can actually be a risk factor for gum disease (i.e. the other way around), but I think it is not conclusive yet.