Book Clubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do your various residencies split up Harrison's/Cecil's for the book club? Do you do about 40 pages a week?, do you do it bi-weekly? What do you like and dislike about how your book club is set up? Pros? Cons?

I'm currently revamping the schedule for my programs since a New Cecil's and Harrison's are due out soon and I'm curious to see what people think about different ways of splitting it up.

Members don't see this ad.

Our institution treats Harrisons as a bible : ) Cecil is basically nonexistent for the most part. When is the next Harrisons gonna be out?

Our institution treats Harrisons as a bible : ) Cecil is basically nonexistent for the most part. When is the next Harrisons gonna be out?

As someone who's used both, I prefer Harrison's, but it's not due to content of anything substantial. They're pretty equivalent in my eyes. The current set up at my program is we alternate yearly between Harrison's and Cecil's

Harrison's new edition is suppose to come out in February.

Members don't see this ad :)
The newest Cecil's just came out. So far I think it's pretty good. Illustrations are great.

I haven't found a huge difference between the two, other than it's much easier to print a whole chapter at a time from my library's online Harrison's, whereas to print a chapter out of Cecil's is a little more of a challenge. I prefer to read chapters printed out so I can cram it in my coat pocket or spill my lunch on it.

My program has a "Harrisons Club" with Q&A's from the Harrisons board prep book, IIRC. Strange that we don't pull questions from our institutions own board prep book. Other than that I don't think we really have a single standard textbook.

I also really like ACP Medicine. I really like how easy the chapters are to print out - they're whole PDF's.

Yup...Harrisons baby all the way...
I have the 14th, and got the 16th as a computer file. I'll buy the 17th book. I still enjoy the subtle pleasure of "coloring" my books...heehee...
Is Washington Manual also big here? Alternatives?
Thanks

The newest Cecil's just came out. So far I think it's pretty good. Illustrations are great.

I haven't found a huge difference between the two, other than it's much easier to print a whole chapter at a time from my library's online Harrison's, whereas to print a chapter out of Cecil's is a little more of a challenge. I prefer to read chapters printed out so I can cram it in my coat pocket or spill my lunch on it.

My program has both Harrison's and Cecil's with online access, so that's not too much of an issue for us.

Is Washington Manual also big here? Alternatives?
Thanks

No, I don't reccomend the Washington manual for anyone other than medical students personally.

yeah, i didn't use WM too even as a med student. I'm just wondering what would be a good book to carry around...

Cecil's 23rd has been online for us for about a week here. And it seems to be a massive upgrade from the 22nd edition. So far I'm liking it.

Does anyone have the table of contents for the New Cecil's? I'm putting together the years book reading list yet it's difficult without knowing how many pages are in each section. I've got the MD Consult online, but it doesn't have the page numbers.