Book for Imm + Micro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of using BRS micro and imm but I've enjoyed the kaplan series so far so I am thinking of switching and using kaplan imm and micro.

It seems from the USMLE experience thread, a lot of you prefer the Lange series. Has anyone used the Kaplan imm and micro?

Members don't see this ad.

I used MMRS, but people who have used kaplan have scored very high. I would say MMRS is favored by most people though. Kaplan might have a little more than you actually need for both micro and immuno. I am using the Lange book for its immuno section and it is a pretty good, quick read. Use them both along with FA and a qbank and should be fine either way you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
For micro, there's almost no book that can rival with Microbiology Made Ridiculous Simple (MMRS). I've read 80% of it and will finish in the next few days. Don't be scared by its size. You will be AMAZED by how fast you can read through it, and most importantly, it's sometimes even fun to read it. Can you image reading a board review book and be ENTERTAINED? Well, this book made it possible. And its coverage of microbiology for Step 1 is very complete.

The downside of MMRS is that it has no practice questions. Also, the tables after each chapter are mostly reiteration of what's in the text. I just skip it because I don't learn a lot from tables.

As for immunology, it's pretty much been concluded that a good Immunology book does not exist. The thing with immuno is that it's very hard to study immunology as an isolated subject. It's always integrated into other topics, like lung disease (asthma), autoimmune diseases, and infection. The immunology section in FA is totally worth pure memorization. If you can take nothing home, make sure you know the hypersensitivities as second nature.

I was thinking of using BRS micro and imm but I've enjoyed the kaplan series so far so I am thinking of switching and using kaplan imm and micro.

It seems from the USMLE experience thread, a lot of you prefer the Lange series. Has anyone used the Kaplan imm and micro?

Personally, I love Medical micro and immuno (lange) by levinson, I used it for class as well as boards; and he just came out with the 10th ed this year! The micro is thorough and the immuno review is 100pgs long. If you're weak on immuno pick up "how the immune system works" samparyac, its a good knife and fork intro to immuno so you'll feel better when you actually look at immuno review material.