Book for Surgical Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good book to have for an elective in Surgical Pathology? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jayman said:
What is a good book to have for an elective in Surgical Pathology? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't buy any books for a rotation. Use this website:
http://medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/ORGAN.html
It will take you a few days to get through all of it, but it is very high yield learning for a surg path rotation. If you go through the whole site, I would say that you can really impress the pants off of the surg path attendings.

jayman said:

Thanks.
If you're doing surg path, Robbins isn't the best book. Robbins is a great general path book and everyone should read it, but it is naturally lacking in specific surg path details. It can give you good overviews though but you won't find a ton of information on a lot of the common things you will see.

Ackerman's surgical pathology (aka Rosai's surgical pathology) was originally written as a med student textbook but is now more for path residents. It's fantastic. But it is obviously too much for a surg path rotation.

I agree with the above - focus on the basics. Don't necessarily buy a book just for the rotation. You will find tons of books at the site you are at, and when you see something, read about it then. Another good website is http://pathologyoutlines.com

The best thing I would recommend is to get an atlas of histology or histopathology and review that, because it will be relevant. It's one thing to read about fibrosarcoma and know the features and characteristics, but if you actually see one you probably still won't have a clue. So learn basic histology and basic pathologic changes so you will be familiar with the terminology.