Book Reviews on Social Media as Hobby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

celestia0313

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm an avid book reader, and a friend and I started an Instagram account dedicated to reviewing books, providing recommendations, etc. It sort of died down but I did it for about 2 years, had around 2k followers, and we had some small partnership deals with various bookish brands over the years. Could I put this as a hobby on my application and just kinda describe what I did as above (and would I need to include the instagram handle)? Or would social media/influencer related activities like this be looked down upon by some adcoms? I could just steer clear and stick with baking as my hobby but I feel like that's so common/boring.
 
There's nothing wrong with this as a hobby.
Please don't put the instagram handle in your application! A screener might feel compelled to review it in the interest of due diligence. This could be a deterrent to passing it on to the larger committee.
If you get an interview and someone asks for it, that would be fine, though.
I trust there is nothing that committee members would find objectionable. If there is, don't include it as a hobby.
 
Last edited: