Hospital book cart as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

colloquialgoth

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to classify my time volunteering at a hospital library. Most of my time is spent taking the bookcart to patients but I've also had an opportunity to help the librarian with some journal searches the medical staff request.

Taking around the cart is obviously not the same as providing direct care like an MA, for example, would but I've gotten an opportunity to talk to patients while they're in the hospital and hopefully do something good for them. It's also given me a good chance to interact with a lot of the nurses and other providers working the floors.

I've struggled to find other experiences working or volunteering with patients and I know I want to supplement it with more direct care, ideally using my phlebotomy certification. But I'm wondering if this could grow into an experience that showcases care for patients or if it may be viewed more like community service with a clinical paint job.

Thank you!
 
This kind of work is why I came up with the sig line I have had for 20+ years. You are face-to-face with patients. You are getting a feel for the environment. You have received training in hospital policies and procedures to protect patient safety, respond to situations such as fires, and to work as a member of a team. That's all legit clinical experience without the need to draw blood.
 
This kind of work is why I came up with the sig line I have had for 20+ years. You are face-to-face with patients. You are getting a feel for the environment. You have received training in hospital policies and procedures to protect patient safety, respond to situations such as fires, and to work as a member of a team. That's all legit clinical experience without the need to draw blood.
Would you say that adcoms might look less favorably at this as my only clinical experience (besides shadowing and maybe some benefit I'd get from clinically oriented research)? I only ask because It'll probably determine whether or not I push back my application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you say that adcoms might look less favorably at this as my only clinical experience (besides shadowing and maybe some benefit I'd get from clinically oriented research)? I only ask because It'll probably determine whether or not I push back my application.
Didn't we discuss this before?

I would ask why you aren't taking advantage of your own phlebotomy certification to add to your clinical experience.
 
Didn't we discuss this before?

I would ask why you aren't taking advantage of your own phlebotomy certification to add to your clinical experience.
We did, and it was really helpful. I only asked about this again because I didn't expect the volunteering I've started doing to be as potentially clinical as it is and that changes my calculus a bit.

I've wanted to and tried to use my certification but I've had trouble finding any employment that works with a student schedule in the rural area my school is in. I want to and fully intend to take advantage of it. But I know that even having a job lined up right after graduation would not lead to many actual hours on an application that cycle.

I have a strong preference for applying this upcoming cycle over the following one, so if I can get the experiences I want/need without having to delay a year (especially if the only reason is finding employment) that would be my preference.
 
Last edited:
Even granting that you can categorize it as clinical volunteering experience on the application as a designation, I would play the tape to the end.

The operative question you're being asked on the application implicitly (and sometimes explicitly) is how you have tested your motivation to become a physician specifically. You'll write a lot of essays trying to demonstrate to schools that you know what being a physician is really like beyond medical dramas on TV and what it means on a philosophical/epistemological level. You'll reflect on the frailties of life and wax poetic about the people in white coats openly defying death with their pills and potions and whatnot.

I don't want to come across like I am undervaluing the work that you do or its impact on patients and staff. That said, I think this experience sits uneasily alongside that question because presumably you are not in an environment where that class of reflections seems facially plausible.

I don't doubt that you do know, and that you can physically write the right words to answer the question most effectively. But the application is not a writing assignment in isolation and just having the correct answer is not enough... the experience actually has to reasonably support what you're claiming about it.

It's understandable that you don't want to spend unnecessary time outside of training, the path is already long enough as is. From the evaluator's perspective, though, these experiences are not decorative, they serve a purpose. They are supposed to represent your professional formation and the choices you made in support of your candidacy.

They are likely not to appreciate any delay as delay, they are much more likely to present it as a preference for baseline standards (even if they are not formal requirements). Standards you are eluding by preferring that they open the door to you over others who have met them, and even amongst those, there are degrees... today I read about a genetics PhD applying, and we have no shortage of nurses, NPs and PAs who apply to medical school, too. I'm not saying you have to go out and have a whole career, but you should appreciate the competitive landscape for what it is. Maybe that can help you see that being an MA for a year is small potatoes, because it is, in the grand scheme.

It's true that given the level of involvement schools want, employment seems like the most likely avenue to getting that kind of experience, and the opportunities may not be available now that you need them.

I think it would still be a mistake not to have it, but your risk tolerance may be different, and that's perfectly OK. Good luck either way!
 
Last edited:
Even granting that you can categorize it as clinical volunteering experience on the application as a designation, I would play the tape to the end.

The operative question you're being asked on the application implicitly (and sometimes explicitly) is how you have tested your motivation to become a physician specifically. You'll write a lot of essays trying to demonstrate to schools that you know what being a physician is really like beyond medical dramas on TV and what it means on a philosophical/epistemological level. You'll reflect on the frailties of life and wax poetic about the people in white coats openly defying death with their pills and potions and whatnot.

I don't want to come across like I am undervaluing the work that you do or its impact on patients and staff. That said, I think this experience sits uneasily alongside that question because presumably you are not in an environment where that class of reflections seems facially plausible.

I don't doubt that you do know, and that you can physically write the right words to answer the question most effectively. But the application is not a writing assignment in isolation and just having the correct answer is not enough... the experience actually has to reasonably support what you're claiming about it.

It's understandable that you don't want to spend unnecessary time outside of training, the path is already long enough as is. From the evaluator's perspective, though, these experiences are not decorative, they serve a purpose. They are supposed to represent your professional formation and the choices you made in support of your candidacy.

They are likely not to appreciate any delay as delay, they are much more likely to present it as a preference for baseline standards (even if they are not formal requirements). Standards you are eluding by preferring that they open the door to you over others who have met them, and even amongst those, there are degrees... today I read about a genetics PhD applying, and we have no shortage of nurses, NPs and PAs who apply to medical school, too. I'm not saying you have to go out and have a whole career, but you should appreciate the competitive landscape for what it is. Maybe that can help you see that being an MA for a year is small potatoes, because it is, in the grand scheme.

It's true that given the level of involvement schools want, employment seems like the most likely avenue to getting that kind of experience, and the opportunities may not be available now that you need them.

I think it would still be a mistake not to have it, but your risk tolerance may be different, and that's perfectly OK. Good luck either way!

Even granting that you can categorize it as clinical volunteering experience on the application as a designation, I would play the tape to the end.

The operative question you're being asked on the application implicitly (and sometimes explicitly) is how you have tested your motivation to become a physician specifically. You'll write a lot of essays trying to demonstrate to schools that you know what being a physician is really like beyond medical dramas on TV and what it means on a philosophical/epistemological level. You'll reflect on the frailties of life and wax poetic about the people in white coats openly defying death with their pills and potions and whatnot.

I don't want to come across like I am undervaluing the work that you do or its impact on patients and staff. That said, I think this experience sits uneasily alongside that question because presumably you are not in an environment where that class of reflections seems facially plausible.

I don't doubt that you do know, and that you can physically write the right words to answer the question most effectively. But the application is not a writing assignment in isolation and just having the correct answer is not enough... the experience actually has to reasonably support what you're claiming about it.

It's understandable that you don't want to spend unnecessary time outside of training, the path is already long enough as is. From the evaluator's perspective, though, these experiences are not decorative, they serve a purpose. They are supposed to represent your professional formation and the choices you made in support of your candidacy.

They are likely not to appreciate any delay as delay, they are much more likely to present it as a preference for baseline standards (even if they are not formal requirements). Standards you are eluding by preferring that they open the door to you over others who have met them, and even amongst those, there are degrees... today I read about a genetics PhD applying, and we have no shortage of nurses, NPs and PAs who apply to medical school, too. I'm not saying you have to go out and have a whole career, but you should appreciate the competitive landscape for what it is. Maybe that can help you see that being an MA for a year is small potatoes, because it is, in the grand scheme.

It's true that given the level of involvement schools want, employment seems like the most likely avenue to getting that kind of experience, and the opportunities may not be available now that you need them.

I think it would still be a mistake not to have it, but your risk tolerance may be different, and that's perfectly OK. Good luck either way!
I really appreciate all of this, it's very thoughtful. Thank you.

Regardless of whether or not I apply this upcoming cycle I don't think that changes what I do leading up to it. I really do want the direct experience, I was really crushed when I wasn't hired for a phlebotomy position this summer just because of what the day to day sounded like.

I'll see how this role evolves, if I can end up getting a position here or end up needing to move after graduation to find work, and also do some more introspection about what the consequences of a failed cycle would be for me, vs the benefit of one less year.
 
I really appreciate all of this, it's very thoughtful. Thank you.

Regardless of whether or not I apply this upcoming cycle I don't think that changes what I do leading up to it. I really do want the direct experience, I was really crushed when I wasn't hired for a phlebotomy position this summer just because of what the day to day sounded like.

I'll see how this role evolves, if I can end up getting a position here or end up needing to move after graduation to find work, and also do some more introspection about what the consequences of a failed cycle would be for me, vs the benefit of one less year.

For what it's worth, I feel for you. I know what it's like to commute 2 hours into a neighboring city just to get the right kind of experience, and what a sacrifice that actually represents. I remember doing the math and realizing I was making less than minimum wage when I considered my gas costs alone. It's depressing to drive to work before the sun rises and back home past dark even as you work a very ordinary 9-5.

Still, though, again play the tape to the end. Even if you choose to apply, you're going to be expected to be doing something during your cycle (most schools have a secondary that asks you explicitly what you are doing during your application year). Keeping the status quo might come across like doubling down. So, theoretically, you would still benefit from identifying alternative opportunities sooner rather than later.

I think the nightmare would be not getting in and not having changed anything over the course of the year only to find yourself a reapplicant at the end of one cycle and at the start of another, left with an application that has not materially changed. That would delay you even longer than the one year you're applying, because you would presumably want to fix the problem rather than reapply immediately and run into the same brick wall.
 
For what it's worth, I feel for you. I know what it's like to commute 2 hours into a neighboring city just to get the right kind of experience, and what a sacrifice that actually represents. I remember doing the math and realizing I was making less than minimum wage when I considered my gas costs alone. It's depressing to drive to work before the sun rises and back home past dark even as you work a very ordinary 9-5.

Still, though, again play the tape to the end. Even if you choose to apply, you're going to be expected to be doing something during your cycle (most schools have a secondary that asks you explicitly what you are doing during your application year). Keeping the status quo might come across like doubling down. So, theoretically, you would still benefit from identifying alternative opportunities sooner rather than later.

I think the nightmare would be not getting in and not having changed anything over the course of the year only to find yourself a reapplicant at the end of one cycle and at the start of another, left with an application that has not materially changed. That would delay you even longer than the one year you're applying, because you would presumably want to fix the problem rather than reapply immediately and run into the same brick wall.
I think I was maybe unclear. My goal is 100% to get direct patient experience (ideally in phlebotomy, but the shift to MA or similar would not be a big deal). So I'll be working towards getting this additional experience regardless. By continuing what I'm doing I meant my volunteering because I really enjoy it and trying to find direct patient care.
It's just about how much of this work I can accrue (or have lined up) before the applications open, and whether or not I need to delay to get more. Apologies if I was unclear! and again thank you.
 
I think I was maybe unclear. My goal is 100% to get direct patient experience (ideally in phlebotomy, but the shift to MA or similar would not be a big deal). So I'll be working towards getting this additional experience regardless. By continuing what I'm doing I meant my volunteering because I really enjoy it and trying to find direct patient care.
It's just about how much of this work I can accrue (or have lined up) before the applications open, and whether or not I need to delay to get more. Apologies if I was unclear! and again thank you.

Yeah, I hear you. MA is actually preferable, I would do phlebotomy daily as an MA and still had all of the benefits of existing in a larger clinical environment outside of the phlebotomy room itself. Depending on where you live, you may not even need to be licensed and your existing phlebotomy license would be a plus, because MAs usually have to be trained to do that.

The goal would be to occupy a position where you can work closely with a physician and see how the sausage is made: morning chart review, the patient is brought back into the room, interviewed, examined, and treatment is decided and disseminated to the patient. You want to pay special focus to the things the physician does that nobody else in the office can do.

These experiences are going to form the basis for secondary responses and eventual interview questions that ask you to go further into your "why medicine" and ask you to identify why not x, y, z related healthcare profession. So you really want to have an unusual understanding of the physician's role within the broader healthcare system, team dynamics, insurance challenges, social problems, and the administrative structure that encapsulates all of it.

You are very unlikely to experience the practical consequences of the above on a patient from the library or even the phlebotomy suite. You have to watch poor Jane Doe in room 4 develop severe pyelonephritis from ignoring a festering UTI she could not afford to treat and watch her circle the drain as she accrues $85k in hospital bills to avoid having had to pay a $200 urgent care visit + $20 in antibiotics the week prior. Then later, the physician asks you to document that she is lost to follow-up and we all have to pretend like we couldn't imagine why.

That kind of stuff is exactly the intersection of clinical care and social determinants that medical schools are constantly asking about, and ultimately what you have to show you understand.

Because the claims you want to make are front-loaded, i.e., you would need to claim them in your secondary, I would delay. Making claims on the back of an experience you've had for a month is not compelling and will come across like post-hoc box-checking. But again, I understand that you might shoot your shot anyway, in which case, it just is what it is and hopefully the stars align.
 
Yeah, I hear you. MA is actually preferable, I would do phlebotomy daily as an MA and still had all of the benefits of existing in a larger clinical environment outside of the phlebotomy room itself. Depending on where you live, you may not even need to be licensed and your existing phlebotomy license would be a plus, because MAs usually have to be trained to do that.

The goal would be to occupy a position where you can work closely with a physician and see how the sausage is made: morning chart review, the patient is brought back into the room, interviewed, examined, and treatment is decided and disseminated to the patient. You want to pay special focus to the things the physician does that nobody else in the office can do.

These experiences are going to form the basis for secondary responses and eventual interview questions that ask you to go further into your "why medicine" and ask you to identify why not x, y, z related healthcare profession. So you really want to have an unusual understanding of the physician's role within the broader healthcare system, team dynamics, insurance challenges, social problems, and the administrative structure that encapsulates all of it.

You are very unlikely to experience the practical consequences of the above on a patient from the library or even the phlebotomy suite. You have to watch poor Jane Doe in room 4 develop severe pyelonephritis from ignoring a festering UTI she could not afford to treat and watch her circle the drain as she accrues $85k in hospital bills to avoid having had to pay a $200 urgent care visit + $20 in antibiotics the week prior. Then later, the physician asks you to document that she is lost to follow-up and we all have to pretend like we couldn't imagine why.

That kind of stuff is exactly the intersection of clinical care and social determinants that medical schools are constantly asking about, and ultimately what you have to show you understand.

Because the claims you want to make are front-loaded, i.e., you would need to claim them in your secondary, I would delay. Making claims on the back of an experience you've had for a month is not compelling and will come across like post-hoc box-checking. But again, I understand that you might shoot your shot anyway, in which case, it just is what it is and hopefully the stars align.
Yeah, I understand. That intersection that you talk about is what I've been looking for. The phlebotomy job I interviewed for was inpatient and I was told it was a lot of work in patient rooms, ED, and then some work in the lab. So I think closer to what you talk about, getting to see the actual process of care, and why I applied. I've avoided any sort of plasma clinic work, for example, because it obviously isn't care like that. I would prefer the role of the do-everything MA but I've only seen places that require the 2 year certification, so why I went with phlebotomy.

I think we're aligned on what the best experience is to have. I'm just trying to see, i guess, what is also really good experience if finding these ideal experiences is not feasible, and if there's other ways I can supplement my experience so I do see first hand what this is all about. Of all the other students I know at my school I can't think of anybody, even the most accomplished people, who have clinical experience that's 1) performing direct care and 2) interacting with doctors.

I really appreciate the time you've spent talking with me about this. Ultimately I know it's on me to figure out why I'm bothered about turning 30 during MS1 over turning 29.
 
Yeah, I understand. That intersection that you talk about is what I've been looking for. The phlebotomy job I interviewed for was inpatient and I was told it was a lot of work in patient rooms, ED, and then some work in the lab. So I think closer to what you talk about, getting to see the actual process of care, and why I applied. I've avoided any sort of plasma clinic work, for example, because it obviously isn't care like that. I would prefer the role of the do-everything MA but I've only seen places that require the 2 year certification, so why I went with phlebotomy.

I think we're aligned on what the best experience is to have. I'm just trying to see, i guess, what is also really good experience if finding these ideal experiences is not feasible, and if there's other ways I can supplement my experience so I do see first hand what this is all about. Of all the other students I know at my school I can't think of anybody, even the most accomplished people, who have clinical experience that's 1) performing direct care and 2) interacting with doctors.

I really appreciate the time you've spent talking with me about this. Ultimately I know it's on me to figure out why I'm bothered about turning 30 during MS1 over turning 29.

They are all more or less the same role, the differences are mainly in licensure. Medical assistants, certified nursing assistants, emergency medical technicians, and patient care technicians are all entry-level. MA is the most flexible for no certification, but you could have luck searching for PCT roles. They might be paid a little less, in my experience.

I would apply even if roles ask you to be certified. Sometimes it is just boilerplate from the application template and you are never asked for the certification. Obviously it helps if you majored in something somewhat scientific or can emphasize those credentials on your resume to catch the attention of the office manager.

You can also present your phlebotomy certification since sometimes the primary concern is not that you're not certified per se, but just uninitiated to medical culture. It's harder to get that first opportunity, but once you've worked in the role for some time, a job search gets less difficult because employers don't feel like they are taking a risk on someone who is going to slow down the clinic.

Speaking of your undergrad institution, you can ask your pre-health advising office for help. Assume they won't offer you any leads, but you want to put your name out there, introduce yourself, and check in periodically. It's about trying to find goodwill wherever you can get it and allow time and coincidence do the rest of the work. Same with your biology department, pre-med clubs, and so on.

Don't be bothered. I am in my thirties and I start medical school next Monday. To be fair, the passage of time is real; I am not the person I was at 28, 21, or 17 when I was entering college. There is a grief in that, feeling like you missed out on a traditional timeline. But you've got to get in to be wistful about the past... Don't get hung up about turning 30 if you are just going to agonize about 31. It takes as long as it takes.

Place your value on how prepared you are, not age. It is more productive and orients your attention on something you can actually change.
 
They are all more or less the same role, the differences are mainly in licensure. Medical assistants, certified nursing assistants, emergency medical technicians, and patient care technicians are all entry-level. MA is the most flexible for no certification, but you could have luck searching for PCT roles. They might be paid a little less, in my experience.

I would apply even if roles ask you to be certified. Sometimes it is just boilerplate from the application template and you are never asked for the certification. Obviously it helps if you majored in something somewhat scientific or can emphasize those credentials on your resume to catch the attention of the office manager.

You can also present your phlebotomy certification since sometimes the primary concern is not that you're not certified per se, but just uninitiated to medical culture. It's harder to get that first opportunity, but once you've worked in the role for some time, a job search gets less difficult because employers don't feel like they are taking a risk on someone who is going to slow down the clinic.

Speaking of your undergrad institution, you can ask your pre-health advising office for help. Assume they won't offer you any leads, but you want to put your name out there, introduce yourself, and check in periodically. It's about trying to find goodwill wherever you can get it and allow time and coincidence do the rest of the work. Same with your biology department, pre-med clubs, and so on.

Don't be bothered. I am in my thirties and I start medical school next Monday. To be fair, the passage of time is real; I am not the person I was at 28, 21, or 17 when I was entering college. There is a grief in that, feeling like you missed out on a traditional timeline. But you've got to get in to be wistful about the past... Don't get hung up about turning 30 if you are just going to agonize about 31. It takes as long as it takes.

Place your value on how prepared you are, not age. It is more productive and orients your attention on something you can actually change.
Hi Polymer,

I know this post is a bit old now, but I've been thinking about what you've said. It's definitely informed what I'm looking for and my plans. I guess I have two things I've been thinking about that I'm not sure how I can square with your advice and I'm wondering what your input is.

firstly, when I've looked at MSAR, the amount of accepted students who have paid clinical experience at all kinds of schools across the board is always around or under half. For some schools I've seen even lower. Do you think students who have paid experience are probably in the upper half of the school's view of these students?

Secondly, and this is admittedly more anecdotal, but I know that EMS work is very popular for clinical experience and it seems like most schools like it or at least don't have a problem with it. I definitely see the value in this type of work, but it also doesn't necessarily have much physician interactions, or longitudinal interactions, etc etc. Do you think students who go this route and get accepted probably have some kind of other qualifier (hundred+ hour(s) of shadowing, some other physician interaction)

Again, your thoughts were very much appreciated. I'm just not sure how to square these two things and I see how thoughtful you are about all of this. And congratulations on starting MS1!
 
firstly, when I've looked at MSAR, the amount of accepted students who have paid clinical experience at all kinds of schools across the board is always around or under half. For some schools I've seen even lower. Do you think students who have paid experience are probably in the upper half of the school's view of these students?

Secondly, and this is admittedly more anecdotal, but I know that EMS work is very popular for clinical experience and it seems like most schools like it or at least don't have a problem with it. I definitely see the value in this type of work, but it also doesn't necessarily have much physician interactions, or longitudinal interactions, etc etc. Do you think students who go this route and get accepted probably have some kind of other qualifier (hundred+ hour(s) of shadowing, some other physician interaction)
Paid clinical experience is not looked upon more highly than volunteer clinical experience at my school. What matters is the type/quality of your clinical experience: what patient population did you interact with, what was the extent of your responsibilities, was your involvement active or passive, what did you learn from this experience, etc.

EMS, scribing, ED volunteering, are all common clinical experiences because there are typically more openings and their schedules fit well with that of a student's. Most applicants will have shadowing hours regardless of their main clinical experience (though scribing can often 'double dip' into both clinical experience and shadowing). 50 hours of shadowing is often what's recommended, and most applicants fall into the double digit range. I have yet to see anyone at my school be impressed by higher (100+) shadowing hours, i.e., its return on time invested plateaus quickly. So your time is better spent doing other things to boost your application. Just my thoughts as a non-polymer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Polymer,

I know this post is a bit old now, but I've been thinking about what you've said. It's definitely informed what I'm looking for and my plans. I guess I have two things I've been thinking about that I'm not sure how I can square with your advice and I'm wondering what your input is.

firstly, when I've looked at MSAR, the amount of accepted students who have paid clinical experience at all kinds of schools across the board is always around or under half. For some schools I've seen even lower. Do you think students who have paid experience are probably in the upper half of the school's view of these students?

Secondly, and this is admittedly more anecdotal, but I know that EMS work is very popular for clinical experience and it seems like most schools like it or at least don't have a problem with it. I definitely see the value in this type of work, but it also doesn't necessarily have much physician interactions, or longitudinal interactions, etc etc. Do you think students who go this route and get accepted probably have some kind of other qualifier (hundred+ hour(s) of shadowing, some other physician interaction)

Again, your thoughts were very much appreciated. I'm just not sure how to square these two things and I see how thoughtful you are about all of this. And congratulations on starting MS1!

I should preface by saying this is my opinion and from my perspective as an applicant. There are also professionals here who have been in charge/are in charge of selecting students who could offer more information about what they see from their perspective.

I didn't think MSAR data was particularly helpful in applying to medical school beyond cross-checking requirements and seeing what schools choose to publish about their programs.

You have to understand first that, because selection beyond some arbitrary objective threshold must inherently be subjective, any applicant data that is scraped from AMCAS has pretty limited utility to you.

We can't drill down on any specific population-level number to an individual matriculant and say definitively why someone was accepted, and we cannot know the specific details across all of the rejected profiles that specific school had to choose from in selecting this one applicant over all the others. We really don't know what happens in the room, how applicants are narrowed and compared. And even if we did, we would run into the same problem for every comparison case.

So, when you say less than half of the matriculants across many schools have clinical employment, I'm skeptical. The uniformity of that number across many schools would almost seem to imply that schools would have some stake in building classes on that singular basis, which doesn't make sense on any level.

My explanation of the statistic you're presenting is that you're probably looking at a highly underestimated number. It doesn't tell us how many of those matriculants had unpaid clinical experiences, and how many had special circumstances that blended categories (say, a CRC with highly clinical duties who listed the experience as research but compelled that particular school to accept that experience as meeting clinical competency). I would not approach this under the impression that having clinical employment will carry your application.

As an aside, part of the reason I suggest clinical employment is because it is very difficult to convince some healthcare institution to allow you to put your hands on a patient and perform any medical task of consequence without being fully credentialed to work there and licensed (to the degree that your state requires licensure) to perform that specific task. An extreme example, but can you imagine someone volunteering as a "doctor" with zero relevant experience or education? I understand that MA work is not physician work, but a court of law will see it as similar in kind.

I agree with Moko that EMTs typically enjoy scheduling flexibility you might not get as a clinic MA, for example. I generally don't recommend it (for now) because MAs don't need to be licensed in many states, and time is money and money is money—and EMT licensure costs you both, only to get to medical school and have that license become immediately redundant after BLS training. Of course that is only the case for me and my situation, others might have different life circumstances with different considerations, which is totally OK.

To add nuance to your estimation of EMTs, what you're saying is mostly true—however, pre-hospital work tends to be more procedural and acute than the cases you see as a clinic MA. So, you might not be making the claim that you enjoy seeing sweet ol' Jane Doe every other Friday for her infusion as an EMT, but you might talk about keeping her calm during recurrent episodes of altered mental status on transport calls from her nursing home to the hospital, and how much you wish you could see what happens once you drop her there and deliver a careful report to a nurse who thanks you and whisks her away.

To give you an idea of the "other qualifiers" you are referring to, it wouldn't be coming out of shadowing. To give you an idea of the crowd at the doctoring small group I was in yesterday, here's a little profile on them, with some minor changes for privacy:

- Person 1 is a Fulbright scholar and had an excessive amount of research experience, even in my eyes
- Person 2 was a US Air Force officer for many years and trained at West Point
- Person 3 was an inpatient hospital dietitian of many years at a famous hospital system
- Person 4 transported nukes in the Navy
- Person 5 was a recurring beauty pageant winner throughout their teens and twenties and held just about every prestigious scholastic/research fellowship their state offered
- Person 6 was a staff bioinformatician for a major public university
- Person 7 just went to the best school you can think of and was successful there

...and I'm Person 8.

To be clear, this isn't a list to make you feel bad. This is just a short list of their most characteristic role. Everyone did research, everyone had extensive clinical experience, everyone did the volunteering, and advocacy, and leadership, and so on. Bear in mind that we are a combined group of almost 200... I don't think I just happened to get all the superstars. From what I can tell, virtually all of my classmates have something really interesting about them that is just not easy to accomplish casually.

So... do not read ~60% of matriculants have paid clinical employment and think that the other 40% must be a group of slackers. It's fair to say that there are less selective schools out there with shorter barriers to entry... but I would prefer, in a game theory sense, to overshoot rather than undershoot. That's just me and my risk tolerance. Many people would be satisfied going to a community program in their backyard with a very average application and moving forward by the skin of their teeth.

However, at a certain level of competitiveness, in this process, everyone "checks all the boxes." The game becomes more about what unique skills you bring to the table. We are all working together to become physicians, but we are all bringing our own flavor and approach to it.

Once you're in, you can see it. It's a very rewarding and humbling experience to work with these people. Each of them bring their own specific knowledge to a situation and talking cases out with them have led to very interesting conversations.

...it's almost like they selected us on purpose! :laugh: Hope this helps. Apologies for another long ramble. (And thank you! Having a blast.)
 
Last edited:
Just to give another perspective from someone once in similar shoes…

I respect the above person’s view, but their school actually does seem like an unusually accomplished group of people lol, certainly not reflective of my med school. Then again I didn’t go to a top med school and I’m in residency now, so maybe I’m out of touch. But I think you can be a perfectly serviceable med school applicant and future doctor with clinical volunteering and some shadowing to know what a physician’s role is (that is after all the point of shadowing). Clinical volunteering is to know if you want to work with patients and be around sick people and care for them, IMO. Physicians are not MAs or phlebotomists or any other healthcare role, and I think we do an odd disservice to insist or imply that people need these experiences for medical school, it was not my experience that paid clinical experience was held above volunteer at any schools I applied to.

Also, to say that many people would be happy with “A community program in their backyard” and an average application seems kind of demeaning (not to mention a closer med school is actually a plus). ANY medical school was very competitive in my day and I can’t imagine it’s gotten much easier (or maybe it has?). Any medical school will make you a doctor, even a neurosurgeon or dermatologist. Regardless, I think there’s a point of diminishing returns at which you have to say you checked the boxes, and hundreds of similar students matriculate every year, there’s no reason you can’t be one of them without being in the Air Force or winner of every scholarship ever lol. Paid clinical experience or no, make sure you have gotten the experiences to show to yourself and schools that you want to be a doctor and work with patients. Best of luck, future colleague!
 
Just to give another perspective from someone once in similar shoes…

I respect the above person’s view, but their school actually does seem like an unusually accomplished group of people lol, certainly not reflective of my med school. Then again I didn’t go to a top med school and I’m in residency now, so maybe I’m out of touch. But I think you can be a perfectly serviceable med school applicant and future doctor with clinical volunteering and some shadowing to know what a physician’s role is (that is after all the point of shadowing). Clinical volunteering is to know if you want to work with patients and be around sick people and care for them, IMO. Physicians are not MAs or phlebotomists or any other healthcare role, and I think we do an odd disservice to insist or imply that people need these experiences for medical school, it was not my experience that paid clinical experience was held above volunteer at any schools I applied to.

Also, to say that many people would be happy with “A community program in their backyard” and an average application seems kind of demeaning (not to mention a closer med school is actually a plus). ANY medical school was very competitive in my day and I can’t imagine it’s gotten much easier (or maybe it has?). Any medical school will make you a doctor, even a neurosurgeon or dermatologist. Regardless, I think there’s a point of diminishing returns at which you have to say you checked the boxes, and hundreds of similar students matriculate every year, there’s no reason you can’t be one of them without being in the Air Force or winner of every scholarship ever lol. Paid clinical experience or no, make sure you have gotten the experiences to show to yourself and schools that you want to be a doctor and work with patients. Best of luck, future colleague!

You mean to tell me you are not a Highest Ranked Medical School alum?! Ne'er an Esteemed Resident at Most Prestigious Residency Hospital?! What is the world coming to these days! :laugh:

In all seriousness that is a valid way to look at it, and I did not intend to condescend. I do think the competition has become way less predictable and at times absurd. It's similar to what has been happening with climbing average Step scores in competitive residencies. Where a more modest, average or slightly above-average score once satisfied PDs, now you need to be firmly at the right tail of the score distribution to get that academic derm, plastics, ortho, vascular, NSGY spot. Of course the research arms race applies after that, but I digress.

I agree that not all of the requirements spoken and unspoken are somehow inherently essential to physician work, but because admissions is comparative by nature, it's hard for me to suggest undershooting and assuming the risk of someone's reapplication when it is relatively straightforward to cover the deficit (speaking in general and not necessarily in reference to OP).

I think students benefit from a well-considered, complete first application vs what they are most predisposed to doing naturally (deciding that they must apply by X arbitrary date, regardless of what their application looks like). I'm stern because I think doing so carries hidden costs. It's theoretically possible they could matriculate, but the odds are not 50/50 with a glaring deficit, and if they have to reapply, they have to figure out how to improve their application, take more time away, show adequate progress... basically all the things they were avoiding doing the first time around.

I wish the process were not as competitive to give more people the opportunity, but I don't see demand for medical education decreasing. It's morbid, but if Harvard decided tomorrow that they wanted applicants to mail them their severed pinky toe to get in, I really do think more than a few people would be willing. I think medicine becomes entangled with identity in such a powerful way, what people are willing to do to make it is actually pretty galling.

Against that backdrop, a few months of working in a clinic seems small potatoes. Maybe I am just particularly relentless and neurotic.
 
Last edited: