1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Bookbags on test day

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by RisingSun, Aug 7, 2006.

1. RisingSun

RisingSun Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can we keep bookbags with us in the testing room? I would like to pack a E-drink to slam between PS and verbal so that I am juiced up for the verbal section. Could I put it in my bookbag and access it during the break?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hopster

hopster Member
    7+ Year Member

when i took the test they let us put our bookbags on the sides of the room and were accessible during all breaks.

4. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Same here

5. njmd55

njmd55 Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are we allowed to eat in the classroom during the 10 minute breaks or do we have to go outside to eat a snack or something?

6. ChymeChancellor

ChymeChancellor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    They made us go outside of the room to eat... but they weren't too strict. By the last break we could have snacks at our desk. And they let us keep our backpack or purse (I guess if you're a girl) right next to us. It really depends on the proctor you get and not on the test center.

7. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The let me put my bookbag and lunch right beside the desk I was sitting at during the April administration.

8. go lakers

go lakers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    in April they made us put all our bookbags at the front of the room.

and we could only eat/drink during the breaks, outside of the room.

9. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im thinking of taking one of those tiny "5 hour energy" type drinks before each section to keep zoned... that way i'll get the caffeine w/o the water, and hopefully wont have to pee 10 minutes later.

10. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be sure to try that out during a practice test if you haven't already.

11. ctgxant

ctgxant Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what are these drinks you speak of? never heard of em... maybe ill try them out during a practice test, see how it goes

12. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not sure on the bookbag, but I'm trying to figure out the strategy of not havin' to take a leak right in the middle of a section.... :)

13. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did it today while taking 4R. It went really well. I took the PS, VR, and PS back to back w/ about 10 minute breaks and only started to wear down toward the end of BS when my phone was blowin up (i use it as a timer so i notice whenever someone calls), and one some girl came and sat at the table next to me and started to use a kid's calculator that BEEPS EVERY TIME SHE PRESSES A BUTTON. so i moved, messaged a friend back, and still finished on time!

and i only had to pee in the middle of PS.

ctgxant - the drinks im talking about are real small, maybe the size of a small precription bottle. theres one called 5 hour energy that you can get at 7-11 for like three dollars but you can get a similar one at walmart for about a buck. find them over in the sports supplements near the pharmacy - theyre by the protein bars.

14. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    that seems like a good deal, but maybe an energy bar is just as good or better with no liquid, but doesn't caffeine in any form make you have to pee?

15. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im really particular about what and when i eat. id be geeky enough to call it an 'eating strategy.' not for the mcat, just in general. energy bars are usually just sugar, im not big on eating sugar for energy.

yeah caffeine makes you have to pee. i typically drink a lot of water, and a lot of caffeinated beverages. so i pee a lot. the idea for test day is to not drown myself in water the morning of the test (like i usually do). so if i drink the more concentrated caffeine, there'll be less water to move into my bladder, and less likely that i'll expereince "oh crap i have to go now"

16. Dr. Shot

Dr. Shot Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Caffeine blocks ADH, so it doesn't matter on the size of your caffeinated beverage (to some extent). You will drain your own h20. (sorry don't mean to be an a$$)

17. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm looking for some supplement ADH...

:)