Books and PDA programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magnus67

Lord of Sleepytime
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just remembered that my Barnes and Noble membership ends this weekend so if I'm gonna save my 10% I better buy my gas books. I wanna wait to buy a Baby Miller until the new edition comes out, so I may just look through the library for my home month of anesthesia. My externship lends you a miller. What are other good anesthesia texts(including pocket books) for a 4th year that is going into anesthesia? (Yes, I did do a search and the results were pretty limited to Baby Miler is good)

Also, what Pocket PC programs are good, I have seen that Unbound medicine and Skyscape both have anesthesia bundles that look pretty good, any ideas on them?

Thanks,
Right now I'm studying Psych for Step II and would really like to read something INTERESTING. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DreamMachine said:
NMS Clinical Manuals Anesthesiology

I got this too, and as something to keep in your pocket for your first (not your second or third) anesthesia rotation, this little book is cheap and gets you through the introductory stuff quickly. It's not the most exciting, but it costs less and is less overwhelming than the other "pocket" manuals.

Other pocket books:

I'm fond of the MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures handbook. Contrary to its name, it's not about how to do procedures but is a general handbook that goes into good detail about the science and clinical management.

Some people also like Anesthesia Secrets which is in Q/A format.

DreamMachine said:
A good, cheap handbook is the "Handbook of Anesthesiology."

This book is awesome as far as its size and weight, esp the amount of information contained in it. The Mass book is too heavy to carry around on a daily basis while this one is perfect. The only downside is that after a year of usage, the cheap binding broke down and I had to reorder another one. Oh well, there goes another couple bucks for an excellent book.

Thanks for the info, I'm definately going into gas so I don't view buying any books besides Baby Miller, as a waste of money.

How bout any of the PDA programs, I think the Handbook of Anesthesiology is available on PDA. Any drug references, or calculators usful.

Thanks Again.

Magnus67 said:
How bout any of the PDA programs, I think the Handbook of Anesthesiology is available on PDA. Any drug references, or calculators usful.

As far as PDA programs, AnesthesiaConstellation by Skyscape is great. The AC is a bundle purchase, but the single most useful program in the bundle is anesthesiadrugs. If you could purchase this separately and not pay the some $200, then that'd be the way to go.

Honestly I would rather have the book version of Handbook of Anesthesiology moreso than the PDA. By the time you get the palm out and start clicking icons, you could have already looked it up in the book. It fits perfectly in the rear of your scrubs. The content in this book is amazing. Alot of the pharmacology is in table format for quick reference after the specific drug chapters. Dogear the tables and you've got about a .2 second reference.

Excuse me, JHACO says that I cannot write leading or trailing decimals.

a 0.2 second reference....

More book suggestions? Starting my fourth year anesthesia elective soon and wanted to get a jump start on reading.

Also, I have a SICU sub-I coming up in November and wanted to know if there are any books that are good for review. I know The ICU book might be a good start but any other suggestions?

DreamMachine said:
Are you going into anesthesia?

I have the Critical Care Handbook of Mass General Hospital, I liked that during my SICU sub-I in med school.

Yes - I am hoping to go into anesthesia. I have an anesthesia elective coming up then a SICU month in November.

SO, I went with the ICU book (got a used for really cheap) and the baby miller. I think I'm going to wait for the Mass General Procedure book since a new edition is coming out soon.

I just breezed through the ICU book and I have to say I'm very impressed - it really explains things simply and it includes everything!

Magnus67 said:
Thanks for the info, I'm definately going into gas so I don't view buying any books besides Baby Miller, as a waste of money.

Thanks Again.

the PDA version is not user friendly. it is the book viewed via adobe acrobat.

I've been using Anesthesia Secrets which has been very helpful for both OR and ICU so far. A new edition came out this year, too.

I started my Anesthesia elective this week and having a great time. Using:
1. Baby Miller
2. Anesthesia Secrets
3. Handbook of Anesthesiology

I'm taking Step-II this weekend so I'm a little behind on my reading but I'll be diving in soon.