books for a plastics month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a preceptorship in plastics for a month come 4th year. I'll be applying in gen surg, not in PRS, and was wondering what quick n'dirty books y'all recommend for the wards. Secrets? Blueprints? Michigan Manual? Our bookstore doesn't carry these, nor does the library, so I can't just thumb through. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan Manual is pretty good but the UTSW book is better. Only problem is that the UTSW book costs like a hundred bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dre, do you think Michigan Manual is good enough for a month on the 4th yr sub-i level?

by far the best book to get is the UTSW Guide to Plastic Surgery written by Jeffrey Janis. Nothing, not the Michigan Manual, nott secrets, even comes close (I have read all 3)....I think you can only get the book from the publisher...I would call UTSW plastics department and find out where to get it...they were handing them out like candy at the interviews...

if you get this book you will be prepared for every possible case, and you will know more than any other rotator...and no, i am not from UTSW

Michigan Manual is pretty good but the UTSW book is better. Only problem is that the UTSW book costs like a hundred bucks.

OP doesn't want to do integrated PRS...I think Michigan Manual is appropriate and cost-effective for her purposes (for-her-own-education subI).

I Amazon'd it out of curiosity. There are 6 people selling it independently on the website, and the cheapest is for $169. It also mentions that it's 941 pages long, which would be a bit ambitious for a month's reading.

yeah my bad that books for people goin into PRS...michigan manuals alright...and plastic surgery secrets will prolly just confuse u without a solid PRS foundation cause its so random...good luck

I Amazon'd it out of curiosity. There are 6 people selling it independently on the website, and the cheapest is for $169. It also mentions that it's 941 pages long, which would be a bit ambitious for a month's reading.

If you change your mind you can get it from the publisher's website (I think it's "Quality Medical Publishing" or something similar) for $95. I have no idea why it's so much more expensive on Amazon.