Books for a pre-vet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScootThehorse1775

Reaction score
Ok first time here heard some buddies who are off to pre med talk about SDN and said I should join for the vet part. The reason I’m asking is I’m enlisted and won’t be in pre-vet for at least 4 years and want a head start.

Thanks in advance,
Scoot.

Members don't see this ad.

won’t be in pre-vet for at least 4 years and want a head start.
By this, I’m assuming you’re a freshman in high school, yes?

I’m a second year vet student, just read. Anything.

Read for fun. Find a new book and read, whether that’s young adult, fantasy, mystery. Actually read the books they make you in high school (Great Gatsby & Fahrenheit 451 continue to be two of my favorite books). The more you read, the better your vocabulary will become to be and that’ll help for the GRE. But please please please don’t stress about what to read to be a good pre-vet student so you can be a good vet student. I don’t think I read any vet books before vet school).

Just fall in love with it. Fall in love with science. Math too (if you can.) Take as many science courses you can. Challenge yourself, but still really enjoy your time in high school.

Take time now to fall in love with the basics of it all so that when you get to vet school and you’re overwhelmed and exhausted, you remember why you wanted to do this.

Reactions: 2 users
9 3/4 out of ten recommend the Harry Potter series.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By this, I’m assuming you’re a freshman in high school, yes?
He said he's enlisted, so I would assume older, in the military and just won't be able to work on pre-reqs/shadowing for a while.

But I agree there aren't really any books I'd recommend as far as giving you a leg up on preparing for vet school/pre-vet classes, reading veterinary textbooks would probably just be overwhelming. The most general primer on veterinary topics is the Merck Veterinary Manual, but it's better for a quick refresher when you're in vet school or out in practice, I briefly attempted to start reading the whole thing back when I was a pre-vet, but it's way too much. :laugh: (Also all the information is on their website anyway)

James Herriot's books are classic, or Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick Trout is great. Just keep in mind if you haven't shadowed a veterinarian yet, books like this tend to focus on the most exciting and unusual cases, and don't really reflect the average day in the life of a vet (and obviously vet med has progressed a lot since James Herriot's day). An anatomy coloring book might be fun, DON'T try to actually learn the structures at this point, but just having seen the names before could be helpful, and coloring in general is a good de-stressor.
Here's an old thread on this topic with some more suggestions: Books to read before applying/interviewing for vet school?
There's also the bookworms thread if you want more suggestions not related to vet med: OT: Pre-Vet Bookworms

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve shadowed vets and love it thinking of going large animal but don’t know yet but got anywhere from 4-8 years to decide lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I reply in bold type? ;)

If you have some extra time for reading, read things that you enjoy! I had so little time to read while I was in undergrad. I really missed being able to pick up a novel just for fun. Science fiction, fantasy, non-fiction . . . fun reading is so great. Enjoy it while you can.

I'm not sure how much of a 'head start' this would give you, but you could always look up case studies and research papers to read. Hang out on sites like Science Daily for news and more easily accessible info, or explore google scholar and find things you're interested in. If you're looking up papers, I'd say read for the basic ideas and don't get hung up on learning everything about the science and protocols, especially if you don't have a science background yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually, I would suggest reading this forum. There are tons of threads on how to enter stuff in your application, what to put in your application...how different situations are handled at different schools...all good basic information.

Reactions: 1 users
I would refresh your math and science if you arent taking courses while enlisted. My airman took classes while enlisted. See if you can get a jump start on an AA if you aren't deployed. Odds are you can as embry riddle has campuses on bases. Airman took courses at a local cc and was doing pretty well. Get a jump start on your basic courses .

A few of my students are veterans and I know its hard to be 4yrs behind. Im 4yrs behind due to working after undergrad so I understand .