Books for Board review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bauber

Pathology yo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 3rd year of residency and would like to begin reviewing for boards. At this point in time I have just been doing 10 or so practice questions a day from sternbergs surgpath review or Lefkowitch board review. Are there question banks or review books with better images?

Is there a book similar to the full Rosai or Sternberg texts with a layout and pictures like the ones in this book - Amazon product

Does a good b0ard review question book exist for CP?

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd encourage all residents to take a board review course (Osler or equivalent) in third year (if possible).
My board preparation consisted of:
- CP: I used the Mais book (http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Compendium-Clinical-Pathology-Edition/dp/0891895671). This also comes with a companion question book (http://www.ascp.org/Store/Books/6166.html). Also study the Osler notes (in particular, the blood bank and chemistry notes are very helpful).
- AP: I used the Osler notes, the Lefkovitch book and some lecture notes on Breast and Gyn from my residency program. To prepare for the glass slide questions review slides from the California Tumor Tissue Residency (CTTR), if possible, or go through as many study sets as you can.

No one in my residency program actually went to the Osler courses and we all passed both on the first round, but our PD did buy us the online courses, which I think were pretty helpful. Went through all of them. Blood bank guy is really helpful for CP. I actually drove down to boards, and listened to his lectures on the way. We had a really generous education fund so in addition to the Lefkowitch, that I went through for a while, I picked up the Anatomic Pathology McGraw Hill book for questions. They aren't perfect and have a lot of negative questions that aren't featured on the boards anymore, but there are a ton of questions so it can highlight areas of weakness.

I also picked up the Clinical Pathology Board Review book 1e, with the caveat that some of the questions are so impossible, PhD focused and nitpicky that you'll feel stupid and despondent, but it prepares you for certain areas and the board questions look less esoteric and terrifying in comparison, toxicology in particular. One thing we did that also helped if you're of the type: my class made a lot of flashcards on software (we used StudyBlue), generally making cards as we went along our Osler lectures and then swapped them with each other. It was great if you wanted to kill time on an iPhone or iPad when you were out and about. Waiting in line? Do some flash cards. I bought the AP flashcards, but honestly, they're a bit pricy and far too easy, ditto the cytopathology book, though if you're weak on cyto, it's a nice cheap pick up and cyto really helps you on the AP portion. Best measure is just being well prepared in residency, though. It's still a monster of an exam, but if you've been performing solidly on the RISE and maintaining your class status, you'll likely do well, though you probably won't feel like you did well.

Members don't see this ad :)
This horse has been beaten to death.

I'd highly recommend Osler, and do it before your 4th year. If residency programs had a brain they'd make you be active since day 1.

This horse has been beaten to death.

I'd highly recommend Osler, and do it before your 4th year. If residency programs had a brain they'd make you be active since day 1.

Can you be a bit more specific in what you mean by "be active"? Is that regarding the Osler course specifically, or boards preparation in general?