Books for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vie221

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing my CA-1 starting in July 2009 and wanted to know what books would help during my prelim medicine year. Specifically, I want books that will help with the general medicine aspects of anesthesiology. I am thinking along the lines of Anesthesia and Coexisting Disease. I'll wait until later to worry about the general anesthesiology texts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you will have neither the time or the energy to read about anesthesia during your internship. i suggest taking your graduate medical education one bite at a time..

for the prelim medicine intern get the blue hardcover pocket guide - it's a ring binder that fits into your white coat - it has everything you need to know as an intern.

if you're super motivated i would read the intro chapters on drugs, etc of baby miller or Lange.

I'll be doing my CA-1 starting in July 2009 and wanted to know what books would help during my prelim medicine year. Specifically, I want books that will help with the general medicine aspects of anesthesiology. I am thinking along the lines of Anesthesia and Coexisting Disease. I'll wait until later to worry about the general anesthesiology texts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

as a soon to be CA-1 this july, i can tell you that you will not have time to read anesthesia texts this year no matter how motivated you may be. besides, now is really the last time you'll have to really read and understand internal medicine--esp. cardiology and pulm. i'm glad that whatever little reading i've had time to do until this point has largely been IM or Neuro related. I do think that will help for next year.

Now that CA-1 year is rapidly approaching, I have started to read Lange. I think that's working pretty well. I read a little bit earlier in January, and honestly, I don't remember anything from it anyway.

Bottom line, wait until this time year until starting anesthesia specific reading and really try to get a good grasp of internal medicine. At least IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really going to focus on medicine this year but I'm trying to "kill two birds with one stone". For example, I figured that if I'm following someone with CHF, I could read a little bit in coexisting disease in addition to reading general IM CHF stuff. Is this doable? I'm hoping it is but am not holding my breath. If it is, I would like suggestions for books that would help with the IM aspects of anesthesiology.

The only book I've been reading this year is ICU Book. Otherwise I just read pertinent things online (uptodate, MDconsult, etc) about my patients. I don't know of any 1 or 2 books you can grab that would be useful.

you will have neither the time or the energy to read about anesthesia during your internship. i suggest taking your graduate medical education one bite at a time..

for the prelim medicine intern get the blue hardcover pocket guide - it's a ring binder that fits into your white coat - it has everything you need to know as an intern.

if you're super motivated i would read the intro chapters on drugs, etc of baby miller or Lange.

If you're referring to Pocket Medicine, it's red now.

The only book I've been reading this year is ICU Book. Otherwise I just read pertinent things online (uptodate, MDconsult, etc) about my patients. I don't know of any 1 or 2 books you can grab that would be useful.

Totally agree, the only book ive read this year. Really good for pulmonology, cardiology, and ICU. UptoDate will keep your patients alive all of intern year. Starting to browse baby miller when I can, realizing im having a hard time remembering what anesthesia or an OR looks like. @#$%@#%$ intern year:thumbdown:

So actually, I absolutely think you might have time to read about anesthesia during your internship. Maybe not in the first four or five months, but definitely in the latter part of your year you may find yourself needing something to look forward to. Read about anesthesia. It'll give you some hope for the future. =)