Books for MS2 - specifically PATH!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright, so I'm looking at these books and I can't figure out whether to get both Robbins : the 7th ed textbook ( R&C Basis of Disease) AND the 2nd ed question book (R&C Review of Pathology)

...or if I should just get one of the Robbins (textbook maybe?) and the Goljan Rapid Review.

I'm a slow reader, and I haven't found the time to read most textbooks I buy, but I really really want to do well on boards. Like 240+. Thanks!

What other books should I be getting for USMLE1 prep?

So far, this is what I have:

MS2 books

Robbins Pathology - Kumar (7th ed) - $98

Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology- (2nd ed, contains questions) - 39.85

Levinson Review of Micro/Immuno (Is this my best bet for micro/immuno???)

Goljan Rapid Review of Path - 34.95

Lange Pharmacology book by Katzung and Trevor - 42.09

General Review Books

High-Yield Histology

High-Yield Anatomy

High-Yield Neuroanatomy (High-Yield)

Blueprints Q&A Step 1 - 33.20 (not that great--just use Kaplan?)

USMLE Step 1 Qbook (Kaplan USMLE Qbook) - 28.32

Is there anyting on the list that shouldn't be there?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks a bunch!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get rid of HY Histo and Blueprints Q&A

Add First Aid

Consider adding BRS Physiology

Consider dropping HY Anatomy

If you're a really slow reader, you could probably get away with not using the Path textbook and just learning the Goljan review book really well. Keep the Robbins question book for sure.

Lange Pharmacology may be good for class but is excessive for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh thanks!! I already have first aid and BRS Phys, so I completely forgot about putting them on the list, but yes, they are very good books. But about getting rid of Histo...how else am I to get a rapid review of the subject? I've heard they are adopting a more cell bio emphasis on the Boards, but this is just hearsay.

How does one go about getting hold of Goljan's audio CDs? I assume you use them when you're working out or doing something else, correct? thanks :)

oh thanks!! I already have first aid and BRS Phys, so I completely forgot about putting them on the list, but yes, they are very good books. But about getting rid of Histo...how else am I to get a rapid review of the subject? I've heard they are adopting a more cell bio emphasis on the Boards, but this is just hearsay.

How does one go about getting hold of Goljan's audio CDs? I assume you use them when you're working out or doing something else, correct? thanks :)

Everything I have heard (which is also hearsay) is that histo is very very low-yield for the boards. I am going to assume that First Aid & Step Up have everything I need to know, and since that worked out well for my upperclassmen, I'm hoping it works for me too.

Goljan's audio CD's are illegal; there is no way to purchase them. That said, they are very easy to find all over the internet if one looks for them.

I have Goljan's Rapid Review, BRS Path and the Robbins Q Book. Together, I find that they are more than enough for Path-- even though I am a fast reader, if I had an extra book it would gather dust on my shelf; there's simply not enough time for another source. I find that Goljan and BRS path complement each other very well-- Goljan is almost too thorough for a review book (think BRS Gross Anatomy), while BRS Path is very very concise (would NOT work if that was all you had for class, but it's fantastic for reading the night before the exam, and will be ridiculously high yield for the boards).

I'm using Pharm Road Map and the Lippincott PharmCards rather than Lange; I used PharmCards in class and I'm using Road Map + First Aid + Step Up for the boards. It's a matter of preference what you use in class, but you really might consider something shorter for board review.

I've never even seen the Micro book you're using; I've really enjoyed Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. It's got lots of really funny (and some really corny) mnemonics and illustrations to help you remember bugs and drugs; with that book alone, micro was an easy A for me.

I have purchased (but haven't yet read through) USMLE Step 1 Secrets; from the flipping through it that I've done it also appears to be pretty high yield. Since it's in Q & A format, I'm hoping it will be a good book to read during my last few weeks of studying to see what things I need to go over one last time.

HY Histo is anything but a rapid review of histology.

Take a look at HY Cell and Molecular (Molecular and Cell?) Biology

I have purchased (but haven't yet read through) USMLE Step 1 Secrets; from the flipping through it that I've done it also appears to be pretty high yield. Since it's in Q & A format, I'm hoping it will be a good book to read during my last few weeks of studying to see what things I need to go over one last time.

Now that I've actually started reading Secrets, I have to put in a plug for it-- I actually think it's a great book. It's definitely not comprehensive, but it does a really good job of engaging you (especially if you read it with a 3 x 5 index card covering the answer and try to answer it yourself first) and covers most of the really high yield questions. It's integrative and in vignette form, so they'll give you a vignette, ask you the diagnosis, the etiology, associated syndromes, treatment of choice, side effect of treatment of choice, etc. etc. I'm really liking it, and wishing I'd have used it along with course work.

does anyone know where one could find them? Not that I personally would download them, they are for a friend ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know where one could find them? Not that I personally would download them, they are for a friend ;)

Some guy recorded his lectures in class. You can hear the students in the background. Does that constitute "copyrighted work"? Might as well throw all those kids in jail for taking a tape recorder to class. :rolleyes:

it seems like the consensus on sdn is to use RR Path + robbins qbook + USMLEworld.

Then use the required text for your path class, or whatever works best for you as your primary source.

Some guy recorded his lectures in class. You can hear the students in the background. Does that constitute "copyrighted work"? Might as well throw all those kids in jail for taking a tape recorder to class. :rolleyes:

It actually is a copyright violation. That's why professors have the right to not let you record their lectures. With this, who knows if Goljan knew he was recording the lecture. Recording it and sharing it online is an especially big no no.

Oh, he knows and isn't happy about it. Our school contacted him a couple years back. He then wrote a book to try and get some money back out of the deal. I can't tell you where to get them, but ask the upper class, you'll eventually get them.

I just finished my 1st year of med school also as I assume you have oompa loompa, but I also really like Robbins & Cotran Atlas of Pathology. It's compact (when I don't want to lug around Big Robbins) and has great pictures w/ good explanations that actually explain what you're looking at. It's divided into organ systems which I also find helpful, but then again I go to a school w/ an organ-based curriculum.

If you're a really slow reader, you could probably get away with not using the Path textbook and just learning the Goljan review book really well. Keep the Robbins question book for sure.

Agreed. I'm a slow reader too and I have a bad memory, so even if I did read a whole text book I wouldn't have retained it anyways. I need massive amounts of repetition to make things stick. Review books worked fine for me, I didn't use one text book threw out med school.

But I well be reading the text book for my specialty, just really slowly and many times over. I might have to even read it out loud into my voice recorder so I can listen to it while working out.

I personally like Janeway for immunology. It's a bright pink book - you can't miss it.

Can anyone send me info about how to get the goljan audio cd?

Also if possible the kaplan audio cd?

I would love to use them while walking, since I live almost half hour walking distance from my school and I walk it every day. Ity is a good exercise and relax me.

So our school gave us the option of getting Robbins Basic Pathology (8th ed) or Robbins & Cotran Pathological Basis of Disease (7th). Which one of these does everyone mean when they say "big" robbins. Does anyone feel strongly about one or the other? Also I think I'm going to get the Lange path flashcards, the robbins review book (seems to be highly recommended here) and maybe the robbins atlas? Thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm so afraid of 2nd year! :scared:

Big Robbins is "Pathologic Basis of Disease, 7th ed." It's amazing. :love:

If you read the big Robbins and do the Robbins QBook, you will have everything you need for pathology on the boards and most medical schools classes. I'd recommend BRS as well for sort of an overall outline and add your own notes to this from reading Robbins. I'd also recommend the atlas to accompany Robbins if $ isn't an issue.

So our school gave us the option of getting Robbins Basic Pathology (8th ed) or Robbins & Cotran Pathological Basis of Disease (7th). Which one of these does everyone mean when they say "big" robbins. Does anyone feel strongly about one or the other? Also I think I'm going to get the Lange path flashcards, the robbins review book (seems to be highly recommended here) and maybe the robbins atlas? Thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm so afraid of 2nd year! :scared:

I accidentally purchased the cotran and realized it was probably the better purchase. Through first year I would compare it to the big robbins and it wasn't missing much.

I am assuming you'll be using a lot of other sources to study, so the cotran is perfect b/c it is somehow condensed and you can actually finish the whole chapter + keep up with boards stuff while in class.

alright, so I'm looking at these books and I can't figure out whether to get both Robbins : the 7th ed textbook ( R&C Basis of Disease) AND the 2nd ed question book (R&C Review of Pathology)

...or if I should just get one of the Robbins (textbook maybe?) and the Goljan Rapid Review.

I'm a slow reader, and I haven't found the time to read most textbooks I buy, but I really really want to do well on boards. Like 240+. Thanks!

What other books should I be getting for USMLE1 prep?

So far, this is what I have:

MS2 books

Robbins Pathology - Kumar (7th ed) - $98

Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology- (2nd ed, contains questions) - 39.85

Levinson Review of Micro/Immuno (Is this my best bet for micro/immuno???)

Goljan Rapid Review of Path - 34.95

Lange Pharmacology book by Katzung and Trevor - 42.09

General Review Books

High-Yield Histology

High-Yield Anatomy

High-Yield Neuroanatomy (High-Yield)

Blueprints Q&A Step 1 - 33.20 (not that great--just use Kaplan?)

USMLE Step 1 Qbook (Kaplan USMLE Qbook) - 28.32

Is there anyting on the list that shouldn't be there?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks a bunch!!

For boards, I would recommend the BRS series books, First Aid, Kaplan QBook, and Goljan Rapid Review.

Can anyone send me info about how to get the goljan audio cd?

Also if possible the kaplan audio cd?

I would love to use them while walking, since I live almost half hour walking distance from my school and I walk it every day. Ity is a good exercise and relax me.

I would get the Goljan Rapid Review. A new edition came out recently.