Books for Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaLee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have boards & wards that I used to study for step 2, and it says that the book is designed for steps 2 and 3. Anyone used B&W for step 3? I would rather not buy Crush if I don't have to. thanks

Also, any thoughts on First Aid step 3?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told by multiple residents to use Crush for the first day, First Aid for the second day (clinical cases).

I finally received my permit after waiting 6 weeks.

Blade28 said:
I've been told by multiple residents to use Crush for the first day, First Aid for the second day (clinical cases).

I finally received my permit after waiting 6 weeks.

is there any difference between the crush book for step 2 vs step 3. i've heard both are very similar books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Crush Step 3 and First Aid for Step 3. Both are good in their own way and do not cover the exact same material. First Aid is a little more in depth. I also recommend Kaplan Qbank questions. I have Boards and Wards and I used it for Step 2 but did not use it for Step 3.

Don't use strong medicine....I have found so many mistakes in it that whenever I run across something I don't already know I have to look it up in another source to make sure it is true. I suppose that is helping me to study...but I am supposed to trust my board review book!

I used crush the boards step 3, first aid step 3, and the kaplan qbank question book. Possibly the easiest step exam out of the 3 in my opinion.

Like someone else mentioned, First Aid for Step 3 was the most useful for the clinical scenarios they have included. Plus, download the program from usmle.org or go through the CD that came with your registration to learn how the CCS program works -- that's probably *the* most important part for day 2 of the test.

I agree about Strong Medicine having too many errors -- but it was still useful to hammer some quick facts in the peds and ob/gyn stuff that I had long forgotten as a medicine resident. B&W is probably too detailed for step 3 I think.

The Qbank questions were probably most in line with how difficult the questions are on the real thing. I think I also peeked through a question book by NMS, and those questions were WAY too in depth and detailed.