Books/VHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started reading "The Intern Blues" and so far it is a great book. I have hurd a lot about the video "Nova:MD The making of a doctor". Has anyone seen this, and is it worth buying? Does anyone know of any other books or tapes that would be worth reading or watching?
-Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Heya - excellent Nova series. Don't buy it -check it out from your local public library. Life is so funny - I remember watching/taping it when I was in high school. Then I met and got to know one of the physicians from the documentary (Luanda) when I did my post-bac in Boston. As for books, some of my fave authors are:

1. Robert Sapolsky
2. Sherwin Nuland
3. Jonathon Kozol
4. Sue Townsend (read when you want a break from the pre-med/science stuff)

Dude, the Adrian Mole series has got to be one of the funniest in print. Four more greats...

1) John Irving
2) Howard Zinn
3) Orson Scott Card
4) Tess Gerriitsen (maybe not great but good)

Hey E'01,
What did Luanda have to say about the whole filming experience?

A. Mole is hilarious! I'm sure I looked like an idiot guffawing all the way home on the train during rush hour. Luanda was cool about the documentary - she looks so much younger in real life!! She never really elaborated on how the filming was..but just kind of looked ebarrassed about it. She keeps in touch with Dr. Jay Bonner though. Apparently, she taught a dog lab that my ex at Harvard was in, did research in a lab that my friend was at, and also so patients. I don't know how she managed everything.