Boomer attending finally retiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, I don't see an appreciable "bothersome" difference with acute tx with short course.. actually, many of my avg prostate modest AUA score patients get thru treatment with near zero side effects of significance.

I ain't getting paid more, and more importantly, I sleep well at night.

Choose Greedily? Not this guy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a prostate guy... but I see nothing wrong with giving the patient the choice: shorter treatment vs. less acute tox.

Exactly how i couch it
As I’m sitting here thinking. I can’t think of another scenario in another specialty where the doctor goes “I’ve got a longer treatment, and a treatment with more side effects… which one would you like.” I mean this is the way we rad oncs should couch it. But again I can’t ponder a good analogy for other doctors. I’m sure it exists.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a prostate guy... but I see nothing wrong with giving the patient the choice: shorter treatment vs. less acute tox.
Exactly what I say. I have had multiple people with acute urinary obstruction and Foley placement under 28 fractions.

It isn't one size fits all.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly what I say. I have had multiple people with acute urinary obstruction and Foley placement under 28 fractions.

It isn't one size fits all.
Actually don't see much of the gu issues, more GI which is what the data suggests.

I had one guy take a week off for the ****s

I have personally had very little toxicity with 28 fx prostate. I also use the updated constraints, which are stricter than the original RTOG trial constraints. The original constraints were extremely lax.

I have personally had very little toxicity with 28 fx prostate. I also use the updated constraints, which are stricter than the original RTOG trial constraints. The original constraints were extremely lax.
It’s too bad “constraints” also don’t constrain preparation (ie the whole “sim package”) and expansion margins

"I don't know which constraints we use actually, but we meet them"

-lol boomers

• Haha
"I don't know which constraints we use actually, but we meet them"

-lol boomers
Haha… that’s me honestly! Do I really need to keep my mean 1.3 Gy off the distal penile bulb, or my 101.3% hotspot below 0.00045 cc’s?

In my experience, I don't see an appreciable "bothersome" difference with acute tx with short course.. actually, many of my avg prostate modest AUA score patients get thru treatment with near zero side effects of significance.

I ain't getting paid more, and more importantly, I sleep well at night.

Choose Greedily? Not this guy.
I mean... anyone can say "in my experience", but data are data. That being said, I also think it would be reasonable to mention the cost difference -again, letting patients choose for themselves.

28 fx is probably a sweet spot (perhaps with the exception of treating nodes, but it's a complicated topic)

28 fx is probably a sweet spot (perhaps with the exception of treating nodes, but it's a complicated topic)
Funny what makes a fraction-number sweet spot. The number 28 chosen simply so when divided into 70 there wouldn’t be a repeating decimal (versus eg 30 fractions), and would be less fractions than a normie 6 weeks but still allow one to bill 6 OTVs!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see plenty of prostate and hear the same from my colleagues. Maybe we gots special photons here.
Who needs to run any oncology trials? We can ask you and your buddies! 😀

Who needs to run any oncology trials? We can ask you and your buddies!
Absolutely why not. While we're huffing and puffing: Trial data is often not extrapolatable to private practice or for that matter replicated with certainty. But I like your enthusiasm sir. Keep it up.

Absolutely why not. While we're huffing and puffing: Trial data is often not extrapolatable to private practice or for that matter replicated with certainty. But I like your enthusiasm sir. Keep it up.
I wouldn't say I am "huffing and puffing"... I don't have a dog in this fight. Just knocking you for claiming that your unverifiable anecdotal evidence is more credible than randomized data (which we are all guilty of from time to time)... but you jump the shark, claiming that anyone who doesn't practice like you is "greedy".

"Clinical trial data is crap, so just listen to me, or you're a bad doctor" -Anonymous internet poster.

You could start a Youtube channel and sell pills that promote"natural male enhancement" with that argument
-you know, if the rad onc thing doesn't pan out for you

• Haha
I wouldn't say I am "huffing and puffing"... I don't have a dog in this fight. Just knocking you for claiming that your unverifiable anecdotal evidence is more credible than randomized data (which we are all guilty of from time to time)... but you jump the shark, claiming that anyone who doesn't practice like you is "greedy".

"Clinical trial data is crap, so just listen to me, or you're a bad doctor" -Anonymous internet poster.

You could start a Youtube channel and sell pills that promote"natural male enhancement" with that argument
-you know, if the rad onc thing doesn't pan out for you
I proudly treat relatives and colleagues with 44 x 180. Otherwise, abt half pts are 70/28. Definetly more acute urinary symptoms which was shown in the original trials. Don’t really see acute rectal issues in either.

Funny what makes a fraction-number sweet spot. The number 28 chosen simply so when divided into 70 there wouldn’t be a repeating decimal (versus eg 30 fractions), and would be less fractions than a normie 6 weeks but still allow one to bill 6 OTVs!
70.2 / 26 fx is also pretty popular

I offer SBRT for low- and intermediate-risk disease along with conventional fractionation. I explain that there are more acute urinary symptoms with SBRT, but so far everyone has chosen it. For high-risk disease I offer both conventional and hypofractionated RT and just explain to patients that the data shows an increase in acute urinary toxicity with hypofractionation. Most patients choose conventional fractionation, especially if they are older and would rather trade their time for less toxicity.

I don't find the discussion difficult at all. The worst part about prostate fractionation is the virtue-signaling it generates, most commonly emanating from docs at extremely high-cost centers.

Reactions: 7 users
One could argue that you are any angry bitter tool. Jealousy ain't a pretty thing. But you do you.

I don't have to up my fractions to keep my RVU's fluffed, I get paid for showing up - can you say the same home slice?

Look you do you, we all have different priorities and you've chosen yours

But if others appropriately feel with their patients that standard frac for prostate is the way to go, they shouldn't be chastised

Look you do you, we all have different priorities and you've chosen yours

But if others appropriately feel with their patients that standard frac for prostate is the way to go, they shouldn't be chastised
This can work both ways, and I really, really dislike when we start to question each other's motives with zero evidence or knowledge about the physician involved. However, that ship has sailed, so:

Others also may feel that by not offering conventional fractionation for patients who may have preferred it, you're doing the patients a disservice. If one is a salaried doc, one could further argue that you're working to decrease your workload at the expense of offering patients a full range of treatment options.

Reactions: 3 users
one could further argue that you're working to decrease your workload at the expense of offering patients a full range of treatment options
yes my workload is vastly decreased because... I save 2 weekly visits from my "workload" for that patient? You're kidding me right?

When did I say I didn't offer the full range of treatment options? Again, totally wrong and unjustified when I pointed out my critiera previously, but I'll say it again, so you can't avoid reading it:

I offer conventional when its appropriate: high AUA/big prostate, history of GU issues/symptoms or related thereto (see the Feb 1 Red Journal article coming out on GU and hypofrac, its worth a read, highlighted in quadshot email today).

The onus is on those who, knowing they are paid more to do more, to share why they can't seem to find hypofractionation in their bag. For a guy who says "I dislike it when.." and then throws in to take a shot anyway "that ship has sailed" .. please.

This can work both ways, and I really, really dislike when we start to question each other's motives with zero evidence or knowledge about the physician involved. However, that ship has sailed, so:

Others also may feel that by not offering conventional fractionation for patients who may have preferred it, you're doing the patients a disservice. If one is a salaried doc, one could further argue that you're working to decrease your workload at the expense of offering patients a full range of treatment options.
Honestly could surmise KP, VA and other capitated centers or academic places with wait-lists would be incentivized to offer the quicker, more toxic tx... Fraction shaming works both ways.

I would argue the move to make everything 1-5 fractions has a nefarious agenda to keep patients away from centers closer to home and at academic motherships for tx, many of which are the most financially toxic sites of service in their respective states... Lots of VIP patients, less Medicare/Medicaid HMO etc. Societally that's a bad thing. No one talks cost, everyone talks fractions and @sirspamalot takes the bait as much as any academic virtue signaler

Last edited:
They certainly would be incentivized if APM had been implemented. The rush to do 8 x 1 would have been eye watering.

The only thing stopping greed from being the primary motivator is us, the doctor. Thats what makes us different and better than say private equity, or car salesmen. Or I'd like to believe it so be so.

If I see someone doing conventional prostate in a per click world, I have the right to inquire whether an alternative might be reasonable. Moreover, if that patient has no contraindications to hypofrac, to ask again why hypofrac isn't being used and is there any reason that $ might not be playing the driving role.

"The patient didn't want it" makes me chuckle. Our peers don't understand hypofractionation, Dr. Google certainly won't either. We have to be transparent with our patients and make them aware of each option and its potential impact, side effects too.. including financial toxicity and conflict of interest(s). We can chide each other, but does it happen in the patient room? It does for me.

They certainly would be incentivized if APM had been implemented. The rush to do 8 x 1 would have been eye watering.

The only thing stopping greed from being the primary motivator is us, the doctor. Thats what makes us different and better than say private equity, or car salesmen. Or I'd like to believe it so be so.

If I see someone doing conventional prostate in a per click world, I have the right to inquire whether an alternative might be reasonable. Moreover, if that patient has no contraindications to hypofrac, to ask again why hypofrac isn't being used and is there any reason that $ might not be playing the driving role.
Why? This isnt breast cancer where the benefit and superiority of hypofractionation is very clear based on the data.

Data, try it out sometime, bro, and if that's too hard, there's a great ASTRO/AUA guideline to fall back on

"Data" is that hypofrac works out just fine for the vast majority of prostate patients, and you know this from no less than 5 randomized trials. Stick that data in your pipe and smoke it.

And, yet despite the fact it costs significantly more to do conventional, you're apparently gonna die on that hill. Which one of us has the conflict of interest?

ps. do you get paid on RVU's or own/share in the practice technicals ? I'd like to hear that answer. Bro.

"Data" is that hypofrac works out just fine for the vast majority of prostate patients, and you know this from no less than 5 randomized trials. Stick that data in your pipe and smoke it.

And, yet despite the fact it costs significantly more to do conventional, you're apparently gonna die on that hill. Which one of us has the conflict of interest?

ps. do you get paid on RVU's or own/share in the practice technicals ? I'd like to hear that answer. Bro.
So all about efficacy and nothing about toxicity, eh comrade? I guess the flat daily per diem makes it easier to just give everyone their Rx without a discussion, amirite?

Factory Gifitup2019 GIF by GIF IT UP

Oh great, another argument over fractionation in breast/prostate. Yippee.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
So

How do you know it costs significantly more to do conventional. My guess is that hypofraction costs significantly more because many of the places pushing it are charging 5-10 x cms rates. See prior thread on ny presbyterian reimbursed 98k from medicare advantage plan.

Reactions: 3 users
So

How do you know it costs significantly more to do conventional. My guess is that hypofraction costs significantly more because many of the places pushing it are charging 5-10 x cms rates. See prior thread on ny presbyterian reimbursed 98k from medicare advantage plan.
Grasping at straws are we? New England centers with a death grip on payors excluded.. Your average freestanding center in Kansas loses money with every hypofrac.

What are their rates of hypofrac across the board versus big boys?

Our survey says..

Now go enjoy this video.. Which represents our reimbursement environment..

Grasping at straws are we? New England centers with a death grip on payors excluded.. Your average freestanding center in Kansas loses money with every hypofrac.

What are their rates of hypofrac across the board versus big boys?

Our survey says..

Now go enjoy this video.. Which represents our reimbursement environment..

I as we all know have looked at this pretty intensely. Some random factoids: less than 10 percent of all American patients get one fraction bone met tx. Less than one percent get 5 fraction rectal. Less than 1 in 200 get 5 fraction breast. Hypofractionation is a sliding scale. The “big boys” could do better. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God?

No one and no institution in America is achieving hypofractionation to the extent supported by data in all disease sites. So I don’t know why we keep talking about it until someone really does.

So why not let your patients choose? Some will choose convenience and lower cost, others will want to get the treatment with a statistically significant lower rate of acute toxicity. Seems like the sort of choice a confident and competent doctor could talk through with a well-informed patient

I really don't get your argument here.

So why not let your patients choose? Some will choose convenience and lower cost, others will want to get the treatment with a statistically significant lower rate of acute toxicity. Seems like the sort of choice a confident and competent doctor could talk through with a well-informed patient
What if I don’t like the feeling I get if I feel like I have allowed the patient to choose a treatment resulting in more patient complaints. What am I supposed to do about that. “Hey, self… ignore yourself.”

Why would anyone NOT offer hypofrac to regular patients who have no adverse reasons not to get it and who, over the long term, are likely to have similar outcomes and long term side effect profiles? "Because you don't want to do the work" lol. "Short term side effects for GU are worse by god, let the patient decide" lol the patients will almost always choose less driving, less visits, and less cost.. assuming they actually understood anything you asked. My patients strongly prefer/choose short course when given as an option to standard course. Your zip code patients may be different than mine, but their prostates and GU history will determine their outcome.

I know the answer$ to all life'$ que$tion$ already. But isn't making 25-28 fractions enough? Well.. maybe not if you own the machines or get RVU based income. Nah, no influence whatsoever, amirite?

Sidenote: my question about financial conflict of intere$t went unanswered. Oh well, shall we move on?

No one and no institution in America is achieving hypofractionation to the extent supported by data in all disease sites. So I don’t know why we keep talking about it until someone really does.
You should have seen what they said when smoking was thought to be bad. "Tobacco is good! Friends.. doctors prefer camels, you'll be fine, its toasted!" but those dying smokers.. "rubbish, why talk about quitting until everyone agrees it really is bad.." Reference

So the solution to get more people to do hypofrac and point out the obvious financial conflict of interest is.. not to talk about it.

Brilliant, what other solutions you got?

"The russians? Nah, they won't bother anyone. Why bother pissing them off further?"

You should have seen what they said when smoking was thought to be bad. "Tobacco is good! Friends.. doctors prefer camels, you'll be fine, its toasted!" but those dying smokers.. "rubbish, why talk about quitting until everyone agrees it really is bad.." Reference

So the solution to get more people to do hypofrac and point out the obvious financial conflict of interest is.. not to talk about it.

Brilliant, what other solutions you got?

"The russians? Nah, they won't bother anyone. Why bother pissing them off further?"
You can talk about it all you want! I suppose. But everyone is a hypocrite until proven otherwise. Usually the people vocally against smoking in the 80s were not secret smokers who were actively trying to get other people to stop smoking so they could secretly have all the cigs to themselves.

Last edited:
Lol. It is greedy when they can't disclose the financial conflict of interest or come up with a valid reason to chose an equivalent but more expensive course.

Choose Wisely.
Not equivalent from a toxicity standpoint and not even cheaper depending on pps-exempt vs hopps vs Medicare PFS site of service

At least try to be intellectually honest here. Until we see site-neutral payment bundles, fraction shaming from a cost standpoint will continue to look ignorant as site of service is far more important for determining levels of financial toxicity.

Last edited:
Are you on capitation? You first
I have said how I get paid personally and how it does not impact my pay whatsoever. I tell patients routinely my goal is driven to give them the info and make the best informed choice. Second opinions also welcomed though maybe 1 in 200 do so.

HOPPS setting. You?

I have said how I get paid personally and how it does not impact my pay whatsoever. I tell patients routinely my goal is driven to give them the info and make the best informed choice. Second opinions also welcomed though maybe 1 in 200 do so.

HOPPS setting. You?
GTFO.... Hopps tells me how you bill, it doesn't tell me how you get paid bro

I have said how I get paid personally and how it does not impact my pay whatsoever.
You saying hypofx doesn't affect your pay whatsoever? Record your pay today (X'). Try five fraction breast and prostate for every breast and prostate patient for two years, and measure your pay at the end of that period. Your new pay, X'', after two years will be and/or fluctuate between X'-X' X'' X'-1 dollars. I bet big money. I bet even bigger money you did 5 fraction breast on not more patients countable on two hands last year. Bet even bigger bigger money you didn't do a 5 fraction breast ENI last year. Be honest. And if I'm winning money on last two bets, why.

I'm being facetious, but I don't think any rad onc would want to singlehandedly tank his department's revenue by 30-50%, or more, overnight. That makes pay trend toward the X'-X' number I alluded to above... no matter how you're paid.

lCipZz1.png

sOBVsC4.png

FWIW, I'm RVU-based so the fact that 98% of my prostates get hypofx DOES impact my pay but I do it anyway since that's what most people choose with options presents, or other extenuated circumstances
And the few that I truly believe should get standard frac and follow through I get fraction-shamed at my chart rounds

FWIW, I'm RVU-based so the fact that 98% of my prostates get hypofx DOES impact my pay but I do it anyway since that's what most people choose with options presents, or other extenuated circumstances
And the few that I truly believe should get standard frac and follow through I get fraction-shamed at my chart rounds
I'm rvu based too. I could be outta the game so much sooner if I 33d the breasts and 38d the lungs like the local 21c. I can't really say I sleep better...

I never said everyone should have hypofrac, just that it should be routinely offered (moderate hypofrac) in most patient
Yeah yeah yeah. But. If you follow the natural line of reasoning of these statements/thoughts/sentiments embedded in this sentence, it leads to:

Everyone should have hypofrac. It should be routinely offered (as few fractions as possible) in most patients

Or am I making a mistake in logic.

What part of "routinely offered" means everyone should have hypofrac "period". Either reread what I posted, multiple times, or you're trolling me.

What part of "routinely offered" means everyone should have hypofrac "period". Either reread what I posted, multiple times, or you're trolling me.
ha I'm trolling you and everyone who says hypofrac should be "routinely offered." That's almost a weasel phrase. Is hypofractionation a class solution or not. And if it is, it should be imminently obvious then that the least fractions necessary "to get the job done" should always be used... not just "routinely offered."

I believe that hypofractionation is a class solution, and we should ALWAYS use the least number of fractions possible. Why use qualifiers? I believe hypofrac should be striven for by all of us, for all patients, everywhere, every time. (And if we did, we would need much, much less radiation oncologists.)

Status
Not open for further replies.