Boost GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagowind44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my 1st semester of orgainic chemistry and I ended up getting a B. I have a couple other Bs in my science classes. So my current science gpa is 3.6. My major is Engineering and so I only have two more science classes left to take for pre-requ. (o-chem II and engineering physics II) and my science gpa might go down after i complete those. What would be the best way to boost my science gpa, take more science classes and try getting As, or should I just leave it alone? I am concerned with my gpa, because I know that my mcats wont be to high since I am not a science major.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't a science major either and scored perfectly well on the MCAT. A 3.6 is competitive, so if you're worried about tarnishing it, then don't take any more science courses. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
umm, if you're an engineering major then don't you have to take more science for engineering? upper level math and physics courses count as science! and i KNOW you have to take more math for engineering! you can boost your science gpa with those engineering ones. unless i'm terribly mistaken?

So I just finished my 1st semester of orgainic chemistry and I ended up getting a B. I have a couple other Bs in my science classes. So my current science gpa is 3.6. My major is Engineering and so I only have two more science classes left to take for pre-requ. (o-chem II and engineering physics II) and my science gpa might go down after i complete those. What would be the best way to boost my science gpa, take more science classes and try getting As, or should I just leave it alone? I am concerned with my gpa, because I know that my mcats wont be to high since I am not a science major.

If you are an engineer there is a good chance yo'll be able to get a high score on the MCAT. i'd just do that. Your GPA doesn't seem bad.

And try maintaining your GPA and not letting it sink.

umm, if you're an engineering major then don't you have to take more science for engineering?
Nope: AMCAS counts Engineering courses as Engineering, not physics. As for the math, it depends on the engineering. If it's Aerospace he'll need triple integrals and Systems Dynamics, if it's biomedical he'll get by with Calc II.

Nope: AMCAS counts Engineering courses as Engineering, not physics. As for the math, it depends on the engineering. If it's Aerospace he'll need triple integrals and Systems Dynamics, if it's biomedical he'll get by with Calc II.

yeah but statistically people who do that well in engineering kick butt in the MCAT because they are people who are really good with critical thinking rather then straight recall kind of tests. I'm sure his 3.6 GPA won't hurt him.

He just needs to kick butt on the MCAT which statistically has been proven to be not that difficult for engineers compared to people of other majors. Math and Physics majors also have statistically been some of the highest scorers. I've seen that trend in real life and also on SDN over and over.

OP: Just concentrate on the MCAT, maintaining your GPA, and doing ECs that help set you apart and show your interest in medicine. GOOD LUCK! :)

New to this, what are ECs?

Also, what is the best way to find out which classes exactly (like math) will count under science gpa?

Also, what is the best way to find out which classes exactly (like math) will count under science gpa?

Your science gpa or bcpm is affected by any bio, chem, phys, or math (hence the acronym) which are usually listed in the course description as such. Like when you sign up for classes I'm assuming their called bio 101 or something like that. Any of those will affect your science gpa.

EC= Extracurricular

Some other abbreviations used on SDN:

LOR = Letter of recommendation

LOI = Letter of intent or Letter of Interest; both letter of interest and letter of intent are slightly different but use the same abbreviation.

I wasn't a science major either and scored perfectly well on the MCAT.

Agree -- if you look at the breakdown of MCATs on the AAMC site, you will see that actually the MCAt averages are lowest for certain science majors (eg Bio) and tend to be pretty solid for nonsci majors. Might be a self selecting nonsci group and the fact that there is no self selection amongst bio majors, but it casts doubt on your (OP) presumption. Also the fact that verbal is a third of the score may give nonsci types a built in advantage.