Boosting GPA and post bacc programs

Started by x4lifex
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

x4lifex

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, i recently just graduated from a university and while i was there completed about 90% of the pre-med req's. I need to finish my 2nd semester (3rd quarter) physics w/lab as well as a bio course w/lab. My question is should I take these courses at a Junior college or pay the extra money to take it at a University. in addition, I need to raise my gpa since it is somewhat low so im having difficulty deciding whether or not i should apply to a post bacc or just stay at a Junior college to take extra science courses that way ?
 
With a low GPA you don't want to cast any further doubts on your academic prowess; CC coursework (in some minds) casts further doubt.

Here's a thread that includes listings of programs with some structure for folks who haven't completed all the prereqs: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302. Some, like UT Dallas, offer a smorgasbord of upper div sci in addition to prereqs (and oh how I wish I'd done this program instead of Home Depot-ing it at UWash).
 
Definitely avoid a CC. Try your state schools. They should be pretty inexpensive.

Also, I'd suggest an informal post-bacc. Structured post-baccs don't tend to offer much extra except a MUCH larger tuition. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info. Is there a difference between weather or not i go to a state s chool to do an informal post bacc or a university ? And what is an informal post bacc ?
 
Thanks for the info. Is there a difference between weather or not i go to a state s chool to do an informal post bacc or a university ? And what is an informal post bacc ?

"State school" means a public university. There are also private universities.

No it doesn't matter which you do.

Informal post bac means there isn't a specific program or certificate or otherwise structured organized deal - you're just taking more classes. There are lots of ways to do this, nonmatriculated, non-degree-seeking, 5th-yr, 2nd bachelors, etc.
 
Hi Dr. midlife so since ive taken a majority of the pre-med courses should i retake them all ? some of them that i could get better grades in or just finish what i have left and take extra science courses to raise my gpa ?
 
Hi Dr. midlife so since ive taken a majority of the pre-med courses should i retake them all ? some of them that i could get better grades in or just finish what i have left and take extra science courses to raise my gpa ?

If you got a C or better, then you don't have to retake a prereq. You might want to, but you don't have to.

For MD schools, a retake is a fresh grade. No forgiveness of the old grade. Thus it's just as beneficial to take new coursework.

For DO schools, a retake forgives the old grade. The old grade still shows up in your coursework, but it's not included in the GPAs. So if you're applying DO, there's a clear benefit in retaking to wipe out old damage.
 
I was wondering if you have any recommendations for post bacc programs. I live in california and plan to apply to the UC's however, i would like to look at out of state programs. I looked into drexel and columbia but if you know of any others that would be great to hear. Thanks for the help.
 
I was wondering if you have any recommendations for post bacc programs. I live in california and plan to apply to the UC's however, i would like to look at out of state programs. I looked into drexel and columbia but if you know of any others that would be great to hear. Thanks for the help.

See the link in post #2 above.