Bootcamp PAT Exams vs. Generator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannyDuberstein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the practice exams a better resource than the generator? Should I redo the practice exams when I have finished them once or should I stick to the generator afterwards?

Also - how long did it take you guys to notice improvements on PAT? My starting scores have been very mediocre.

Members don't see this ad.

My first BC PAT was an 18.. I made sure to take note of my weak areas and worked on them using the generators. For me, angles were the toughest so I used the angle generator a lot. I did all 10, or is it 12?, tests twice and it was only during the second time around that I started noticing 25s 26s..

Hey, both of you commented on my post yesterday lol. I got a 25 on the real deal yesterday, and I only did like 4 bootcamp tests... As for the generators, I felt like the angles are too easy compared to the practice tests and the pattern folding ones tend to have similar shapes/patterns after a while. The hole punching generator is really good though...In regards to redoing your practice exams, keep in mind that your brain will tend to recognize the shapes and patterns that you've already seen the second time around (especially for keyhole, tfe, and pattern folding), so you'll end up being able to do it a bit faster and easier. This is why I never read over the solutions to the questions I got wrong for the PAT because then I'll definitely recognize the answer choice if I do it again, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the full tests are the best way to practice. And once you finish them, do them again. I only ever used the angle generator twice and I thought the actual DAT was easier than it. I scored about a 20-21 on all BC tests and a 26 on the real deal. My score was a lot higher because the angles were so much easier to see the differences between ( I usually missed 5-7 angle questions per BC test)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the full tests are the best way to practice. And once you finish them, do them again. I only ever used the angle generator twice and I thought the actual DAT was easier than it. I scored about a 20-21 on all BC tests and a 26 on the real deal. My score was a lot higher because the angles were so much easier to see the differences between ( I usually missed 5-7 angle questions per BC test)

^Agreed, I always miss about 5-7 on the angles and the keyholes on BC and it was a lot easier on the real deal.

Depends on how much time you have. Getting timing down using the generators down is amazing. I try and do 15 cube counting questions in 7 mins for example...angles w/in 20 seconds each...and still working on TFE. Once you understand the concepts do the practice exams, but all the while working on timing w/generators.