Boots for Equine Vet shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerlily7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a equine hospital that's willing to let me shadow and ride along with their vets! When I asked about shoes they said a sturdy pair of boots. For those that have worked around horse and maybe shadowed with an equine vet, any specific kind or brand of boots do you normally wear? I have a some paddock boots but they are more for riding and aren't the best for walking around. Also, when I asked about what to wear, she said I need to look professional and left it at that. Any specifics on that you can think of? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I got a equine hospital that's willing to let me shadow and ride along with their vets! When I asked about shoes they said a sturdy pair of boots. For those that have worked around horse and maybe shadowed with an equine vet, any specific kind or brand of boots do you normally wear? I have a some paddock boots but they are more for riding and aren't the best for walking around. Also, when I asked about what to wear, she said I need to look professional and left it at that. Any specifics on that you can think of? Thanks :)

I like Ariats myself. They make a lace shoe called the Terrain that comes in a waterproof model. Its sort of a hybrid with a tennis shoe. Still a good sole and support, but better to walk around in. They are a little pricey ($90ish for the waterproof one) but they hold up well.

I always wear a solid colored polo shirt and pressed khakis when I shadow equine vets, with a belt. You may be bending over/squatting, so make sure the pants have good coverage :laugh:. Sunglasses are usually good to have, and maybe a nice ball cap. And bring water and food, because you don't know when you will have a chance to get some!

I like Ariats myself. They make a lace shoe called the Terrain that comes in a waterproof model. Its sort of a hybrid with a tennis shoe. Still a good sole and support, but better to walk around in. They are a little pricey ($90ish for the waterproof one) but they hold up well.

I always wear a solid colored polo shirt and pressed khakis when I shadow equine vets, with a belt. You may be bending over/squatting, so make sure the pants have good coverage :laugh:. Sunglasses are usually good to have, and maybe a nice ball cap. And bring water and food, because you don't know when you will have a chance to get some!

Pretty much what she said. With horses, you really do not want to wear a $20 pair of boots. I highly suggest a comfortable pair of steel toes. (and if taken care of properly, these boots could last you years, so I feel it's worth the investment)

Go to a farm storm(like Fleet Farm) and try on a bunch of boots and walk around the store in them. The brand I have right now are Caterpillars(the machinery brand). Less pricey then Ariats and other brands, but still get the job done and are comfortable.
And definitely buy insoles! They will make a world of difference.

And I second the khaki pants and solid color polo, tucked in! (might want to buy a couple cheaper, but still nice looking pants, as they will probably get dirty)

This is what I have: (I think I paid around $60 for them)
Caterpillar-2nd-Shift-Steel-Toe-Boot.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

I usually just wear my paddock boots. I stuck a pair of Dr scholls gel pads in mine and have been on my feet for the past 14 days on rotation and haven't had a problem. After doing 7 equine externships, I find the best thing to wear is a really nice pair of jeans, or blue/khaki pants and a polo shirt tucked in with a belt. You kind of get a feel for the practice after a few days being there :)

I love the terrain. On my third pair of them (averaging about five years a pair which is good for me!). I think the non wterproof ones breathe a little better and seem to be less hot. Both are super comfy for long days though.

I have Ariat paddock boots (maybe the Heritage III? not sure anymore) and have worn them for 10+ hour horse show days on my feet and walking around the whole time with no discomfort. My muddy day pair is at least five years old and are still in pretty good shape.

And repeating everyone else: khakis and a polo is a good, safe bet.

i have the fake dubarrys.. they're called dublins.

I have a pair of steel-toe Timberlands, and I love them.

Came to suggest the Ariat Terrains. Those things last FOREVER and I adore them. I'm on my 3rd pair or so, and you really can't beat them for equine vet work. I also wear them when I travel and plan on doing a lot of walking/hiking (ie in the mountains in the north of Scotland) and they have done wonderfully for that as well. Paddock boots are ok, but I prefer to keep mine at the barn for riding and working around my horses. My terrains are now exclusively for working in the hospital/equine clinics - that way I also have less risk of bringing something contagious back to my barn, since I am changing everything including shoes.