bord scores vrs achievements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsckvc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what programs are more interested in applicant's achievements other than board scores? I am a Navy Osteopathic Doc graduated internship in 2007 I have an great CV compared to most due to my work in the Navy (navy trained diver, run hyperbaric chambers, lots of work in the radiation health and nuclear weapons community, chairman of medical record review committee for 70+ provider clinic system, certified ACLS, ATLS, PALS, BLS, etc). My board scores are Step 1 523, step 2 594, step 3 530. Graduated top 20% of med school class. Do I have a chance? Competitive on step 2, how is my step 1 score going to hurt me. Can a great CV carry me into anesthesia residency in the civ world?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what programs are more interested in applicant's achievements other than board scores? I am a Navy Osteopathic Doc graduated internship in 2007 I have an great CV compared to most due to my work in the Navy (navy trained diver, run hyperbaric chambers, lots of work in the radiation health and nuclear weapons community, chairman of medical record review committee for 70+ provider clinic system, certified ACLS, ATLS, PALS, BLS, etc). My board scores are Step 1 523, step 2 594, step 3 530. Graduated top 20% of med school class. Do I have a chance? Competitive on step 2, how is my step 1 score going to hurt me. Can a great CV carry me into anesthesia residency in the civ world?

Pardon my ignorance here, but are the Steps scored differently for DOs?

For MDs, I know a 280 is probably max.

Yes, the NBOME exam (COMLEX) is scored different than the USMLE. The average score is 500, Passing is 400 for step 1 and 2 and 350 for step 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the more competitive programs that accept apps with only COMLEX have 600 (90%ile) as a cutoff. From Johns Hopkins website "All interviewed candidates had COMLEX Level 1 scores above 600..."

I would imagine there are many programs however that be fine with your scores, especially with your experience.

Yes, the NBOME exam (COMLEX) is scored different than the USMLE. The average score is 500, Passing is 400 for step 1 and 2 and 350 for step 3.

Oh. I beg your pardon. I was thinking in terms of the USMLE. I've never understood the COMLEX/NBOME so I'm not the best resource. Sorry

There are many DO residents on this site (including recent successful applicants) who will be far more useful resources.

I will say that your amazing life experiences and service to the country are VERY STRONG components of your CV and will secure you special consideration. Your ERAS will have a section for you to list your military service and obligation and programs look on that very favorably.

In some of the slide shows where interviewed applicants are decided on and ranked your service in the military will be underscored.

I'm not a DO but during my interviews, I'd say my military experience was looked on very favorably in general. I don't think you'd have a problem matching into a civilian anesthesia residency. Just apply to a bunch of programs and find out which are "DO" friendly.

Everything I hear from former military who do their GMO time, get out, and then go looking for a residency position, is that they are received favorably.

The top tier programs are likely out of reach for a DO with slightly above average board scores, but I wouldn't expect you to have problems matching with your good grades, above-the-mean board scores, and military experience.

ETA - I suppose matching may be the wrong word, since you could be looking for a slot outside the match ...

Last edited:
I don't know about residency, but in our group we hired a dude with military experience 2 yrs ago. When I say military experience, I mean he was in Iraq, providing anesthesia in the forward theater. This dude is a bad ass; one of the best anesthesiologists in our group and one of the best physicians I have ever met. I would not hesitate to hire a guy with his background..

Does anyone know what programs are more interested in applicant’s achievements other than board scores? I am a Navy Osteopathic Doc graduated internship in 2007 I have an great CV compared to most due to my work in the Navy (navy trained diver, run hyperbaric chambers, lots of work in the radiation health and nuclear weapons community, chairman of medical record review committee for 70+ provider clinic system, certified ACLS, ATLS, PALS, BLS, etc). My board scores are Step 1 523, step 2 594, step 3 530. Graduated top 20% of med school class. Do I have a chance? Competitive on step 2, how is my step 1 score going to hurt me. Can a great CV carry me into anesthesia residency in the civ world?

I cannot speak to board scores, but I do know that the University of Michigan loves guys like you. It is a DO friendly program, with a fair number of former and current military docs. They value life experience. It is also an amazing place to train. You should apply.

Ender