1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Borderline GPA question

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by dmf2682, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dmf2682

Removed Rocket Scientist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I'm in a reasonably safe area, if in the lower half, of the GPA range at 3.6 for my undergrad, and 3.5 for my masters.

Undergrad I got a double BS in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (two BS's = extra year's worth of credits) in 4 years. Grad I got an MS in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Aeroacoustics.

Will these below average stats be made up for by the difficulty in the actual coursework that I took?

thanks
    DMF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I am no expert but I have read over an over again that difficulty doesn't really matter much.

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Individual schools might regard difficulty of curriculum, but across-the-board acceptee stats show that engineers get no consideration stats-wise for their curriculum.

Masters GPA isn't much looked at, fortunately for you, and since the average acceptee to MD schools has a 3.67 uGPA, from which you aren't far off, I wouldn't have much concern, unless your MCAT score is weak.

You can see the odds of an MD acceptance with a cGPA of 3.6+ over the last three years, depending on various MCAT scores in this thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625

You didn't mention the BCPM GPA, which is important too (and doesn't include Engineering classes unless they're > 50% math). If it's particularly low, you might need to do some repair work before applying.

5. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, it is a sad but unfortunate truth that engineering courses are harder than premed courses.

While your stats might align, whether you fall on the good side or the bad side of the % depends on your EC's and your manners during interview (so, start working on those EC's).