• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I'm in a reasonably safe area, if in the lower half, of the GPA range at 3.6 for my undergrad, and 3.5 for my masters.

Undergrad I got a double BS in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (two BS's = extra year's worth of credits) in 4 years. Grad I got an MS in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Aeroacoustics.

Will these below average stats be made up for by the difficulty in the actual coursework that I took?

thanks
DMF

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status
Attending Physician
Individual schools might regard difficulty of curriculum, but across-the-board acceptee stats show that engineers get no consideration stats-wise for their curriculum.

Masters GPA isn't much looked at, fortunately for you, and since the average acceptee to MD schools has a 3.67 uGPA, from which you aren't far off, I wouldn't have much concern, unless your MCAT score is weak.

You can see the odds of an MD acceptance with a cGPA of 3.6+ over the last three years, depending on various MCAT scores in this thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625

You didn't mention the BCPM GPA, which is important too (and doesn't include Engineering classes unless they're > 50% math). If it's particularly low, you might need to do some repair work before applying.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, it is a sad but unfortunate truth that engineering courses are harder than premed courses.

While your stats might align, whether you fall on the good side or the bad side of the % depends on your EC's and your manners during interview (so, start working on those EC's).

About the Ads