Borderline MCAT score. Should I retake or is it too risky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the 8/14 exam and got a 510 (126/126/128/130).

I know 510 is pretty good. Top 20%. However, I am not satisfied. I am a Texas resident so I still have plenty of good options but I am an ORM. I posted yesterday on r/premed () regarding my stats and I am confident with my stats I could get into any Texas school except UTSW, Baylor, McGovern, and Long.

Those four schools have been on my watch list since I started my journey. I worked my ass off as a first generation college student to figure out how to get into medical school and adapt to the college landscape. Now, with my score, to realize that I am no longer very competitive to my top 4 schools has been a punch in the gut. Especially considering every other aspect of my application is pretty well rounded.

The school semester has started again so I still have like 10 weeks to decide if I wanna retake. I need advice on whether or not I should.

Full Length Scored:

FL1: 126/127/130/127 - 510

FL2: 127/127/127/127 - 508

FL3: 128/126/130/127 - 511

FL4: 129/125/129/130 - 513

My study plan during the summer:

Had around 2.5 months.

Spent the first 3 or so weeks going through TPR and writing down notes. Along with that I was doing 2 Jack Westin Passages everyday until the second week when I felt over confident and started to skimp on it more and more. (Potentially biting me in the butt).

After the third week or so, I started doing Uearth. I was around 4 weeks out when I completed 90% of all Uearth content. During the Uearth period, I would do Anki as well. I didnt start Uearth cars until around the final two weeks of my Uearth studies. Cramming it all in. In addition, I didn't seriously start reviewing my mistake document until I was basically 4 weeks out.

I did Qpack for CARS, Chem, and Physics 3 weeks out. The final two weeks I did section banks. Roughly timed...giving myself +2 minutes than I usually would.

Of course, around 4 weeks out I started doing FL exams and would review them for two days. I studied Monday - Saturday and rested on Sundays. Studied around 8 to 10 hours a day.

Mistakes:

• started reviewing my excel document with all my incorrect Uearth document 4 weeks before my exam. I should have started earlier. However, I feel this is a small mistake as I feel like I had a pretty strong understanding of my content by the end. Even after 4 weeks.
  • Neglecting doing Jack Westin for basically the first entire month. Missing out on improving reading speed, comprehension, etc. Timing was never an issue, but practice is still important. Potentially a costly mistake.
  • Neglected Ochem during studies. Sure it may be a bit low yield. However, my exam had 3 passages on ochem. It bit me in the ass. Especially considering my score for C/P steadily improved from 126 to 129 by the end.
As you can see, my study schedule wasn't really flawed. I had a good mix of content/practice. Other than my own fault regarding over-confidence on my reading ability early on and my belief that "oh...ochem won't likely be tested...it's low yield" and as such memorizing the pure basics and a few lab techniques.

Given all the information I provided, do you think I should retake my mcat?

I would start studying after the fall semester starting around December 20th 2020 until January 20th 2021. Around 1 month to study.

I personally think it is a bad idea to study during the semester. So I do not wanna slowly study during my fall semester or final spring semester, unless you can convince me otherwise. In addition, I don't wanna study and then test during my application season. Seems like a bad idea as I am unable to make a proper thought out school list.

Sorry about the long post. Would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Very neurotic post if I've seen one. You answered your own question.

How so? By posting that my FLs were relatively similar to my actual score and that my schedule plan was good so there is no reason to retake/worth the risk?

And I don't think it is neurotic to be disappointed by the fact that I didn't get the score I wanted as it isn't within range of the school I wanted to go to. (UTSW isn't a dream school just because it is a "top tier school"). I think it is fine to want to be evaluated by an outside source regarding an important decision...even if the post is a bit neurotically detailed.

Regardless, I appreciate the response.

Tough road with ORM status. You’ll probably get some interviews though and you’ll need to shine at them. I’d apply broadly as well to lower tier MD schools and DO schools you wouldn’t mind attending if the goal is to have an acceptance in hand this cycle.

I wouldn’t personally retake unless I was 99% confident I could score 515+

I would argue that your approach was flawed as evidenced by your practice and actual MCAT score. I agree that you should not prepare for the MCAT during the semester nor should you retake the exam at this time. If you have an unsuccessful cycle, I would plan on retaking the MCAT during a gap year when you can dedicate yourself to studying full time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough road with ORM status. You’ll probably get some interviews though and you’ll need to shine at them. I’d apply broadly as well to lower tier MD schools and DO schools you wouldn’t mind attending if the goal is to have an acceptance in hand this cycle.

I wouldn’t personally retake unless I was 99% confident I could score 515+

I will be applying next cycle (spring 2021). Hopefully sending thing early and what not will increase my chances.

Took the 8/14 exam and got a 510 (126/126/128/130).

I know 510 is pretty good. Top 20%. However, I am not satisfied. I am a Texas resident so I still have plenty of good options but I am an ORM. I posted yesterday on r/premed () regarding my stats and I am confident with my stats I could get into any Texas school except UTSW, Baylor, McGovern, and Long.

Those four schools have been on my watch list since I started my journey. I worked my ass off as a first generation college student to figure out how to get into medical school and adapt to the college landscape. Now, with my score, to realize that I am no longer very competitive to my top 4 schools has been a punch in the gut. Especially considering every other aspect of my application is pretty well rounded.

The school semester has started again so I still have like 10 weeks to decide if I wanna retake. I need advice on whether or not I should.

Full Length Scored:

FL1: 126/127/130/127 - 510

FL2: 127/127/127/127 - 508

FL3: 128/126/130/127 - 511

FL4: 129/125/129/130 - 513

My study plan during the summer:

Had around 2.5 months.

Spent the first 3 or so weeks going through TPR and writing down notes. Along with that I was doing 2 Jack Westin Passages everyday until the second week when I felt over confident and started to skimp on it more and more. (Potentially biting me in the butt).

After the third week or so, I started doing Uearth. I was around 4 weeks out when I completed 90% of all Uearth content. During the Uearth period, I would do Anki as well. I didnt start Uearth cars until around the final two weeks of my Uearth studies. Cramming it all in. In addition, I didn't seriously start reviewing my mistake document until I was basically 4 weeks out.

I did Qpack for CARS, Chem, and Physics 3 weeks out. The final two weeks I did section banks. Roughly timed...giving myself +2 minutes than I usually would.

Of course, around 4 weeks out I started doing FL exams and would review them for two days. I studied Monday - Saturday and rested on Sundays. Studied around 8 to 10 hours a day.

Mistakes:

• started reviewing my excel document with all my incorrect Uearth document 4 weeks before my exam. I should have started earlier. However, I feel this is a small mistake as I feel like I had a pretty strong understanding of my content by the end. Even after 4 weeks.
  • Neglecting doing Jack Westin for basically the first entire month. Missing out on improving reading speed, comprehension, etc. Timing was never an issue, but practice is still important. Potentially a costly mistake.
  • Neglected Ochem during studies. Sure it may be a bit low yield. However, my exam had 3 passages on ochem. It bit me in the ass. Especially considering my score for C/P steadily improved from 126 to 129 by the end.
As you can see, my study schedule wasn't really flawed. I had a good mix of content/practice. Other than my own fault regarding over-confidence on my reading ability early on and my belief that "oh...ochem won't likely be tested...it's low yield" and as such memorizing the pure basics and a few lab techniques.

Given all the information I provided, do you think I should retake my mcat?

I would start studying after the fall semester starting around December 20th 2020 until January 20th 2021. Around 1 month to study.

I personally think it is a bad idea to study during the semester. So I do not wanna slowly study during my fall semester or final spring semester, unless you can convince me otherwise. In addition, I don't wanna study and then test during my application season. Seems like a bad idea as I am unable to make a proper thought out school list.

Sorry about the long post. Would appreciate any advice.

Don't retake your MCAT and apply to all the TX schools. Median MCAT for TX matriculants is 509!

Reactions: 1 user
I would argue that your approach was flawed as evidenced by your practice and actual MCAT score. I agree that you should not prepare for the MCAT during the semester nor should you retake the exam at this time. If you have an unsuccessful cycle, I would plan on retaking the MCAT during a gap year when you can dedicate yourself to studying full time.

Maybe you're right. I only said my method wasn't "flawed" because I did what most people said to do which was sufficient context and practice. What do you think about my approach/schedule plan? If I were to retake, how should I go about that?

And yes, I was considering maybe just applying with my current stats spring 2021 and if I get no acceptances retake. My only concern is that, I personally think it would be very dumb not to accept an MD or DO if I got in the 2021 cycle. However, I would feel like I would have some regrets about potentially getting a better mcat score this winter break and then maybe getting into my dream school as I think my stats (other than my mcat) makes me competitive.

Don't retake your MCAT and apply to all the TX schools. Median MCAT for TX matriculants is 509!

I thought the median matriculant for ORM was closer to 513 in TX? Correct me if I am wrong.

Would it be a bad decision for me to retake just because I want to get into schools like UTSW, Long, etc. even though I am competitive for other TX MD schools?

I thought the median matriculant for ORM was closer to 513 in TX? Correct me if I am wrong.

Would it be a bad decision for me to retake just because I want to get into schools like UTSW, Long, etc. even though I am competitive for other TX MD schools?
I love to correct people when they're wrong! ;)

Median for matriculants EY 2018 was 509 and median for EY 2019 was 510.8. Retaking a solid score pegs you as too much of a perfectionist which is not a good look.

Attachments

• Medical Final Statistics Report- EY19 copy.pdf
    140.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe you're right. I only said my method wasn't "flawed" because I did what most people said to do which was sufficient context and practice. What do you think about my approach/schedule plan? If I were to retake, how should I go about that?

And yes, I was considering maybe just applying with my current stats spring 2021 and if I get no acceptances retake. My only concern is that, I personally think it would be very dumb not to accept an MD or DO if I got in the 2021 cycle. However, I would feel like I would have some regrets about potentially getting a better mcat score this winter break and then maybe getting into my dream school as I think my stats (other than my mcat) makes me competitive.

The red flag was your prep for CARS. Waiting until a few weeks before the actual exam to do the qpacks and all of your practice scores being so close to 125 are significant concerns. I would’ve recommended holding off on the exam. I push students to focus on cars early on because it takes the longest to see improvement and the skills you gain permeate all other sections of the mcat. I would recommend a longer practice phase with additional 3rd party mcat exams earlier on.

I love to correct people when they're wrong! ;)

Median for matriculants EY 2018 was 509 and median for EY 2019 was 510.8. Retaking a solid score pegs you as too much of a perfectionist which is not a good look.

That's fair. Thanks for providing the document as well.

According to your judgement, would my current stats make Long and McGovern a reach school? I believe the MSAR data says average is 516 (25th to 75th percentile being 513 to 518) and 514 (25th to 75th percentile being 511 to 517) respectively.

Regardless, UTSW is going to be a reach, however, If I can potentially hook at least an II from Long and McGovern I will shoot my shot without a retake. If not, I still have a lot of thinking to do.

The red flag was your prep for CARS. Waiting until a few weeks before the actual exam to do the qpacks and all of your practice scores being so close to 125 are significant concerns. I would’ve recommended holding off on the exam. I push students to focus on cars early on because it takes the longest to see improvement and the skills you gain permeate all other sections of the mcat. I would recommend a longer practice phase with additional 3rd party mcat exams earlier on.

Ughh damn CARS. I should have been more consistent with it. I also really doubt my CARS will improve to be consistently 128+ with only a month of practice.

Thanks for your response. I will sit on my decision longer.