Bored in the summer until p1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm pretty bored during the summer, aside from working out and trying to find a summer job does any current P1(soon to be P2) suggest anything to prepare for first year? Is there something I should be studying?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're wanting to prepare in some way for your first year, I'd suggest getting whatever resource your school is using for learning drug names, indications and whatnot. I'd start by learning both the brand and generic names for the top 200 drugs. I wouldn't really do much more than that. I'd take it easy so you are rested for school because once the first day of school rolls around, you're going to be in classes that are most likely more intense than your undergrad.

i'm bored as hell too. Someone just gave me their old "top 200"..........wow. Way too much info on those cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i'm pretty bored during the summer, aside from working out and trying to find a summer job does any current P1(soon to be P2) suggest anything to prepare for first year? Is there something I should be studying?

I'd think undergrad should have been preparation enough. But then again even if someone told me to study this summer thats the last thing I'll be doing.

i'm bored as hell too. Someone just gave me their old "top 200"..........wow. Way too much info on those cards.

Just work on brand and generic names for now. Anything else would be getting a little ahead of yourself. Just the names will give you a good head start. But, as the last poster stated, you will probably just want to relax in preparation of not having much time to do so for the next four years, or three if you do an accelerated program.

Enjoy being bored. Because it won't last. Actually, you will still probably spend plenty of time being bored during P1 year if you go to class. But not in a good way, lol.

A lot of us in this predicament. We only have three months to worry about it, though. Might be time to pick up a hobby. Golf is a good one; that takes FOREVER.

I say this, but I'm brute-force memorizing the top 200. My list is alphabetical by generic name and I'm already on benazepril.

Actually, here's a way to combine the two: Take your golf clubs out to the range. Write the trade name on the grip, the generic name on the face, and the primary use on the sole. Work through your bag from the wedge to the driver and back down, reciting each drug as you strike the ball. Hit it once with the trade name, once with the generic, and once with the primary use. Not only will you be a hell of a golfer, you'll have an excellent physical association with each drug. Switch out the drugs about once a week and you can probably get through top 100 over the course of the summer. Then in school when they talk about Lipitor, you'll be like, "Oh, that's a 3 iron! It carries about 180 yards..."

A lot of us in this predicament. We only have three months to worry about it, though. Might be time to pick up a hobby. Golf is a good one; that takes FOREVER.

I say this, but I'm brute-force memorizing the top 200. My list is alphabetical by generic name and I'm already on benazepril.

Actually, here's a way to combine the two: Take your golf clubs out to the range. Write the trade name on the grip, the generic name on the face, and the primary use on the sole. Work through your bag from the wedge to the driver and back down, reciting each drug as you strike the ball. Hit it once with the trade name, once with the generic, and once with the primary use. Not only will you be a hell of a golfer, you'll have an excellent physical association with each drug. Switch out the drugs about once a week and you can probably get through top 100 over the course of the summer. Then in school when they talk about Lipitor, you'll be like, "Oh, that's a 3 iron! It carries about 180 yards..."

Better still, go to the range Monday through Thursday and do this, then play a full round on Friday. When you pull out each club, see if you can name the associated drug. And put an ED drug on the putter.

I just finished my first year and all I can say is I can't wait to be bored again...don't study enjoy your break while it last!!!:D:D

im running into the same thing, wouldnt call it a problem though... but i decided to take the pharmacy tech exam just tp be certified...most pharmacy students are so that they can work during the school year or summer in some states, especially those that require you to be certified...from what i heard the test doesnt require much preparation so no im back to square one...oh well guess it will be a summer full of spongebob marathons :D

You could always try to pick up an interesting hobby...learn to fence, skeet shooting, pole dancing, etc. Maybe try brushing up on a foreign language to expand your skill set as a future pharmacist. I personally am going to try getting Spanish down this summer, I am tired of other Mexicans coming up to me trying to speak to me in Spanish and making me feel incompetent lol. :p

I wish I had the luxury of being bored...I have my last remaining prereq to do starting this Monday for 2 months:(

i tried starting a blog to take care of the bored-ness....it's boring typing to yourself though lol

Enjoy your break! I have 3 weeks till MW starts, so im relaxing hardcore till June 8th. No need to rush your summer