Borrowed the Max Amount, Need more...

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by GoldenDoggy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GoldenDoggy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I borrowed the max amount that I can for financial aid for medical school. Any advice on what companies and types of loans to get privately? I have a car payment and paid for the student health insurance. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gotten the student health insurance ($4,300 a year), so now I am literally paying for it.

2. RangerBob

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Talk to your financial aid director. When I needed extra money I was able to get a budget increase (and borrow more in federal loans) for certain expenses, like car payments, insurance, etc.

I will say you should be able to manage without having to borrow so much (I should’ve been able to as well, and wish I had borrowed less than the max amount allowed). Get a roommate, cheaper housing, ditch the gym membership, etc etc. MrMoneyMoustache is a great blog for students looking to manage their money better and live on less.

$4300/yr in insurance is actually still quite cheap, and student insurance is typically quite generous. I pay about $2k a month for my wife, son, and myself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    abolt18 likes this.
  3. MD-2022

Medical Student
    Credit card loan? Discover? Capitol One? Plenty of options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 12jas

Medical Student
    I second the recommendation for MrMoneyMustache. Sell your car. Buy a bicycle. Stop living a lifestyle you can't afford.

sb247, T27M and abolt18 like this.
  5. Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Would you consider a part-time job?

6. bwmd

bwmd SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Agree that overspending now is probably setting you up for serious problems done the road.

However, to answer your question, you can get a private student loan if you've really maxed out your federal options (direct unsubsidized and PLUS). Companies like LendKey, Commonbond, and Citizens Bank would all be examples.

7. SpartanWolverine

SpartanWolverine PGY1 --> Rads
    Physician Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's way too much for insurance if you're a single person.

How much money do you need and for what period of time? You could probably float some things on credit cards for a month or two but I wouldn't go beyond that. Besides getting a cheaper insurance option (caution that your school may require certain things to be covered), consider if your car payment is too much as well.

If all else fails, I had a short-term residency relocation loan from Discover and found them to be easy to work with. I know they also do student loans. However, problem may be that they only loan up to the cost of attendance and you may be out of luck if you've already borrowed up to that. Talk to your financial aid office first.

T27M likes this.
  8. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Buy a cheap used car

9. abolt18

abolt18 I regret nothing. The end.
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    New member with 2 posts total, both saying the same thing advertising a product no one else has ever heard of... Seems legit.

10. NearbyLab

Talk to your financial aid director and see if your family members can help.