1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Borrowed the Max Amount, Need more...

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by GoldenDoggy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GoldenDoggy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I borrowed the max amount that I can for financial aid for medical school. Any advice on what companies and types of loans to get privately? I have a car payment and paid for the student health insurance. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gotten the student health insurance ($4,300 a year), so now I am literally paying for it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RangerBob

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Talk to your financial aid director. When I needed extra money I was able to get a budget increase (and borrow more in federal loans) for certain expenses, like car payments, insurance, etc.

I will say you should be able to manage without having to borrow so much (I should’ve been able to as well, and wish I had borrowed less than the max amount allowed). Get a roommate, cheaper housing, ditch the gym membership, etc etc. MrMoneyMoustache is a great blog for students looking to manage their money better and live on less.

$4300/yr in insurance is actually still quite cheap, and student insurance is typically quite generous. I pay about $2k a month for my wife, son, and myself.

4. MD-2022

Medical Student
    Credit card loan? Discover? Capitol One? Plenty of options.

5. 12jas

Medical Student
    I second the recommendation for MrMoneyMustache. Sell your car. Buy a bicycle. Stop living a lifestyle you can't afford.

6. Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Would you consider a part-time job?