Boston University class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csujon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I want to know is, who is coming with me?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, my mind is made up. I'm there. boston for the next 4 years.

I am SO in!!! Although I'm going to second look day anyways - maybe I will learn something new!!

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. everyone coming to open house? where you all from?

I'm an accepted student from the Jan round, but still making my decision and waiting for financial aid (which will be very important for BU). I'm from the west coast! Congrats to all the of new acceptances!!

I'm from the west coast too and I'm definitely going to be there. :D Hooray!!

CSUJEON- you should provide a link on the other pre-allopathic "BU MARCH DECISION" thread to this page (just edit your last post). might make more people come over.

anyways, not sure if everyone followed that other thread- but I personally feel BUSM is a really strong medical school in many ways- not just for its high trauma volume and diverse patient base, but also its famous medical research. Even coming from the other place cross town, I know that people from the H totally respect BUSM in many ways that the H can't compare. (in fact, the new chair of Brigham and Women's mega Dept of Medicine was recruited from BUSM!!!)

I didn't say this on the other thread (to not upset the WLers)-- but please come if you are accepted! unless you get a full ride somewhere or got into a top 3 school (HMS, JHU, or Penn), forget all the other schools and come!!!

Hope to meet you all at Revisit Open House on April 28th. My first name is Eric- find me there.

p.s. Plus, I can totally hook you up with connections to top profs at BUSM and H so you can work on real cutting-edge stuff instead of some dinky lab somewhere.

Hey everyone! I was about 95% sure I was going to BU this morning until I checked my mail. I got a 1/2 tuition scholarship at another school. I know it was good news, but I am super bummed because this may make it a more difficult decision that I had planned!

At this point lets just say I am a BU c/o 2011er until I hear from BU in terms of financial aid. If their offer really sucks, then that may change.

Since I live in Hawaii, I doubt I will make the second look, but keep me posted on any good stuff they tell you guys that are gonna make it! Thanks!

Anybody know when BU is going to provide us with Financial Aid packages

Anybody know when BU is going to provide us with Financial Aid packages

they wont award anything until after you complete the PROFILE and the separate BUSM financial aid application.

however, BUSM is rather limited on certain funding (its not as wealthy as many other schools)- you can tell from the USNEWS ranking which lists BUSM students with avg debt of ~$150,000.

However, loans you take can always be paid back via the NIH LRP program (without joining the military or NHSC).

me too. everyone coming to open house? where you all from?

Hey, I'm originally from beautiful Colorado, but I have now traded my mountain view for an ocean view and reside here in Boston!

from Southern California but I lived in Boston for quite some time as a BU Graduate medical sciences student. I'm coming back and I'm super excited. I should be in the area for second look (flying back to look at places mostly).

Also, even though we will get our own copy of the "Red Book" I would suggest, if you so desire, of reading the one posted above. That stuff is really true. As a GMS student I took Biochem, Histo, Physio, immunology, endocrinology, and I even took neuro as well (all with first year meds). What they say is true about those classes in the redbook. Especially histo and neuro. they're very difficult courses. You get hit with histo very quickly and it's a lot to take in right away. Very different from any class you may have taken (even histo) as an undergad or grad. It's tough. Neuro is tough because it's a month and the pathways and physio and anatomy of it can crush you. But, there are people, and I include myself in this, that are going to help.

As a side, the places they've listed to go out are so cutting it thin. There are a quite a few other places, depending on if you're very preppy to whether you're a hipster that you can hang out at. If anyone needs any suggestions while they're in boston for 2nd look or whatever, just ask. I'm not the expert, just wanting to help. God, I'm so nice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for GMS'ers: how happy does/did the student body seem? what is your take on that terrible Be Wary of BU thread??

it varies depending on who you ask and when you ask. It's like anywhere. Let me explain and anyone can add there remarks if they'd like. I'm sharing because of my experiences with friends who are 1st to 3rd years and because I was a GMS student.

Once you get there, it's exciting, fun, you meet new people, you realize who's cool and who's a douche-bag, etc. You're excited about classes. You realize things are only pass/fail first year so that's a bit of a relief. Optimism turns to worry after your first set of exams. Depending on how you do (everyone usually does well) you're pretty cheery. Everyone is tired and miserable during Neuro because you live eat sleep breath it all day for a month or so. Once that's over, the second semester feels much easier. People have formed their cliques by then. You feel comfortable. The last block in June is fun because first year is coming to a close and you've figured out how to study, how to manage your time, etc. Plus it's nice outside.

Second year is tough. From all of my friends with whom I've talked to, everyone is just busy busy busy. First semester is the last time you're learning basic science stuff. But it's all integrating, things are becoming faster. etc. But people get through it and move on. The second semester second year is hard on people because they're sick of classes, sick of looking at the same powerpoints, etc. etc. Plus people begin to worry about boards, realize they won't have a summer vacation, and generally they just want to be at the clinic. this is what I've heard from my friends who call me and say "you want to be this miserable?"

Third and fourth year are what people seem to love. "Clinically rewarding" is what people say to me. Apparently surgery is the toughest. Psych isn't too bad. Overall people are busy, but they can see the finish line. All that talk about being brow beating, abuse, etc? I've never heard it. Where you do your rotations can vary, but it's not like you're doing every rotation at the VA or on the Cape. Either way you look at it, you're going to be at Boston Medical Center, the university Hospital, the VA, the Cape (if you're lucky, it's in the summer), or other hospitals depending on your Sub-I and what specialty you want to do. I'd ask some more 3rd and 4th years at the 2nd look if you're really scared about those comments. Overall, you'll see more at BU than any other hospital in the city. I don't think it's a transplant center though, but I may be totally wrong. In which case, sorry.

Make friends and you'll be happy:thumbup:

Wow, sorry for writing so much. I'm scatter brained.

Hi All, I will be attending the second look even though I am already 98% sure that I am going to BU. The only reason I wouldn't, is if by some small chance I got off University of Colorado's waitlist, my state school.

As for my impression of current students, I was a TA for some of the M1's, and they were always really positive and upbeat. In our lab they there was lots of group work and open discussion in class (I like to think that was partly due to their superior TA though...) I have also talked to residents who are doing fellowships in my research lab who went to BU, and they have nothing but praise to say about the school. Also, unlike what the other thread suggests, the faculty is very open to change. They have what are called student advisory committees (SAC), which is made up of students who give feedback to the teachers for each class. I found that many times complaints were listened to, and changes where made. I also know of two faculty members who have re-done much of their syllabus within the last year, so that it is easier to understand. I would be wary, of the be wary thread; it seems that many of the posts are ex-GMSers that didn't get accepted and are bitter about it, or it is someone who knows someone who knows someone who had a bad experience. I am sure that there are people that don't have great experiences at BU, but I have heard from friends at other schools that have similar complaints. Hope this helps!

thanks Patton for all the helpful insights. i've also heard about a lot of upcoming curriculum changes to year 1 and 2 (set to start this fall), specifically to decompress some of the workload during these years. hopefully it'll be a lot nicer (or else i can imagine my wife yelling at me for ignoring her when i have to study all the time, but i'm ready for that anyways)

btw, if GMSers have already taken a lot of the first year MS1 courses, then what do they do/take during their MS1 year instead?

thanks Patton for all the helpful insights. i've also heard about a lot of upcoming curriculum changes to year 1 and 2 (set to start this fall), specifically to decompress some of the workload during these years. hopefully it'll be a lot nicer (or else i can imagine my wife yelling at me for ignoring her when i have to study all the time, but i'm ready for that anyways)

btw, if GMSers have already taken a lot of the first year MS1 courses, then what do they do/take during their MS1 year instead?

that's a good question. my friends have told me everything from tutor, volunteer, do research, or get a job bartending while everyone else is taking the full load (I say that because GMS people who become med students still have to take some classes 1st year). It'll be weird. I plan on helping out to stay busy and sitting in on physio lectures also. Maybe find a neurologist and do research or something.

Thanks for the input, Patton and csujon. I am strongly considering BU along with Rochester right now and I have a feeling that my decision will be heavily influenced by financial aid, but I am going to try to make it to the Open House to get a better look at BU and talk to more students.

Boston for 4 yrs!
My graduation coincides with the 2nd revist day..
Why April 28th... Why?

Anyway, can someone post some things they learn during that day? Coz I am absolutely not missing my graduation. I worked too hard for it..:)

Hi future classmates,

BU is my top choice! I am really excited about moving to Boston from Florida and getting a change of scenery. Although the weather here is comfortable I am craving the metropolitan lifestyle. Boston was too impressive to turn it down! I have been looking at housing and I have to say- Boston is an expensive city! I really hope fin aid will come through and cut some of these costs. I am going to the open house myself on the 28th. Does anyone know what the situation is with on-campus housing? Is it very competitive to get?

Is anyone planning on bringing a car? How about a bicycle?

Greetings (Potential) Future Classmates,

I created a FaceBook Group called "Boston University School of Medicine Class of 2011". Feel free to jump on there to chat.

Tom

dont bring a car. parking can be $500-1000/month. bike is okay- just beware that in the winter when its icy and cold, you wont be cheery about riding it.

harrison court is mad expensive. i'd live somewhere else. there are many MBTA buses that run to BMC... but dont live more than one bus/train transfer away from BMC (i.e. 2 bus/train rides). remember that there is also a special BU shuttle that runs from main campus (Commonwealth Ave area) to BUSM as well when you think of housing. boston is expensive, but its worth it to live in the "Athens of America".

okay this may seem like a dumb question but...we seriously have to pay to submit PROFILE? are you kidding me?

dont bring a car. parking can be $500-1000/month. bike is okay- just beware that in the winter when its icy and cold, you wont be cheery about riding it.

harrison court is mad expensive. i'd live somewhere else. there are many MBTA buses that run to BMC... but dont live more than one bus/train transfer away from BMC (i.e. 2 bus/train rides). remember that there is also a special BU shuttle that runs from main campus (Commonwealth Ave area) to BUSM as well when you think of housing. boston is expensive, but its worth it to live in the "Athens of America".

Thanks epidemic! haha, I can imagine the pain of riding a bike in the winter. I'll keep all of this in mind. I don't think I'm going to bring my car- it'll be too much of a hassle. Do you think the Commonwealth Ave area is a nice area to live for a med student, or are most people going to live in the South End? I'm trying to buy a place- if there is a reasonable price anywhere in this city- we will see.

okay this may seem like a dumb question but...we seriously have to pay to submit PROFILE? are you kidding me?

yeah, bummer, huh?? my parents also have to do the business/Farm supplement which is a huge pain in the butt. hopefully they won't take forever getting our aid together? i'm definitely nervous about that. finances will play a huge part in this decision BU is $$$$ and Boston is also $$$$.

i'm in...more than likely going to attend in fall...anyone know when they're gonna start looking for housing?

yeah, bummer, huh?? my parents also have to do the business/Farm supplement which is a huge pain in the butt. hopefully they won't take forever getting our aid together? i'm definitely nervous about that. finances will play a huge part in this decision BU is $$$$ and Boston is also $$$$.

the acceptance letter says before may 10 but I'm sure the faster you get it to them the faster their turn around time is. BU's price tag sure is deterring me. I mean, a budget of 61k???

i think on the aid app it said something like they would get back to us around May 10th. 5 days? thanks!!

All of my stuff was sent out this week, but I don't think they are in any rush to get back to me. Does anyone know if they've started packaging yet??

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure it's going to be BU for me at this point and I have gotten myself quite excited about staying put (currently live in South End).

? for GMSers/anyone: does the shuttle make stops other than at the UG campus? Like at the Mass Ave T-stop/Hynes T stop? Would be convenient if it did for those looking for housing.

Looking forward to the revisit!

hey kids,
did witzburg talk about bu's willingness to match financial aid packages? i just can't get over how unbelievably expensive it is.

for GMSers/anyone: does the shuttle make stops other than at the UG campus? Like at the Mass Ave T-stop/Hynes T stop? Would be convenient if it did for those looking for housing.

regarding the BU shuttle- yes it makes a passing stop at Mass Ave and Huntington (its also the Symphony T stop on the Green E line and Bus 39 line) between the campuses.

i think the shuttle schedule is on the BU website somewhere (i've seen it before)

you can always take the CT1 or the 1 (especially on weekends) to go up mass ave, i.e. to Cambrdige. Bummer is, you gotta pay likea dollar. Plus the 1 can have some "interesting" characters sometimes.

Hi Everyone! I'm a GMSer that will definitely be at BUSM this Fall. I can't wait to meet everyone. :) As far as where to live, I would highly suggest living close to campus. When I was looking for places on Craiglist, etc. before moving here, I thought that Allston would be a fine place to live (close to the undergrad. campus). It was on the BU shuttle line, the rent was definitely cheaper than the South End. I think the problem is that mileage wise, everything seems very 'close' in Boston, but the commute from the med. campus to where I lived near the undergrad. campus took me 40 minutes one way. Which doesn't sound like much, but make it a roundtrip and think about what a hot commodity time will be in med. school and it starts to seem more practical to spend the money to live closer. Additionally, often times its hard to get work done on the shuttle, half the time you'll have to stand because it's so crowded.

At least for me, there is definitely something to be said for walking across the street and having a hot meal, or a nap :), or to grab a book you forgot. Anyways, these things may seem trivial, but I wish someone had told me them before I moved here. If you're going to live a little farther out, I would say live on the 1 or the Silver Line routes since those are the best straight shots to campus.

I agree with FrVerona. I lived in Brookline by coolidge corner last year and I had a similar commute. I ended up walking to school most days because I found the CT1 was so unreliable, and I got some more exercise that way. I chose Brookline because I had never lived in a big city before and I like the suburban feel of it. I now live in the South which I have come to appreciate, and will stay in the same apartment next year because it is so close to campus.
I would also recommend using craigslist when looking for apartments.

Hi guys,
I know this may be a little early to start considering, but my roommate and I are renting out a room in our apartment starting June 10th, though the move in date has some flexibility. The apartment is in Harrison Court, directly across the street from BUSM and has a notorious waitlist, but this is one way to circumvent that. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me or stop by during the 2nd look weekend. :) We'd prefer a female roommate too, sorry guys!

Here's the link to the ad with pictures:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/abo/310940865.html

Anybody else completely unhinged by the mountain of applications BU wants us to fill out for what will almost assuredly be only a mountain of school-sponsored loans? Has anyone looked at that Profile app? What a crock! And then we fill out a 6+ page BU app that basically replicates all the info we provided on FAFSA and Profile?

And the letter we got with our acceptance packet makes them sound so magnanimous! They will do us the great favor of giving us an award notice by May 10, so we have the span of 5 days to deeply contemplate and decide whether or not we want to be $250K in debt after attending. Then, they demand a $500, non-refundable deposit, to be present in their office before May 15. Thanks, guys!

Maybe it's less complicated for younger peeps, but I'm 27 and married 4 years, and my parents are long divorced, with my mom remarried. I have to collect highly private financial info from 3 parents, none of whom have provided me any financial support since 2002.

Please, somebody else complain too so I feel like at least I have company!

I'm with you!

First, the $500 deposit. Freaking awesome. The one school I pick while sitting on my waitlists has a deposit 5x greater than all the others.

Second, the forms. I just finished the noncustodial parent's form on the phone with my mom, only to realize they didn't have the most recent version posted on the BU website. Argh.

And yeah, I think we all know exactly what's going to come back...a crapload of loans. :rolleyes:

Oh well. I have to admit that I'm still excited about BU.

I'm with you!

First, the $500 deposit. Freaking awesome. The one school I pick while sitting on my waitlists has a deposit 5x greater than all the others.

Second, the forms. I just finished the noncustodial parent's form on the phone with my mom, only to realize they didn't have the most recent version posted on the BU website. Argh.

And yeah, I think we all know exactly what's going to come back...a crapload of loans. :rolleyes:

Oh well. I have to admit that I'm still excited about BU.

Thanks for comisserating!

Anybody else completely unhinged by the mountain of applications BU wants us to fill out for what will almost assuredly be only a mountain of school-sponsored loans? Has anyone looked at that Profile app? What a crock! And then we fill out a 6+ page BU app that basically replicates all the info we provided on FAFSA and Profile?

And the letter we got with our acceptance packet makes them sound so magnanimous! They will do us the great favor of giving us an award notice by May 10, so we have the span of 5 days to deeply contemplate and decide whether or not we want to be $250K in debt after attending. Then, they demand a $500, non-refundable deposit, to be present in their office before May 15. Thanks, guys!

Maybe it's less complicated for younger peeps, but I'm 27 and married 4 years, and my parents are long divorced, with my mom remarried. I have to collect highly private financial info from 3 parents, none of whom have provided me any financial support since 2002.

omg I am absolutely with you on this. Their financial aid is a PAIN and all they can do is try to get it to us by May 10th?? Not to mention I would need to mail the $500 from the West coast to be in the office by the 15th soon after the 10th?? Make no sense. Way to be flexible with our decision-making, BU! I'm a considerate person and I'd love to make my decision ASAP so that people can start moving off waitlists, but there is no way i can decide without fin aid info! Xild and ltrain, I am 100% with you folks!!

oh i totally hear ya too. Its even more annoying when both your parents and myself have "home businesses" and we have to fill out that annoying business/farm report (apparently BU requires it from me too even though the form only says parents).

all i can say is that BUSM better be mightly generous when they see how poor I am.

btw, anyone know what the unit/base loan is? (i.e. the expected minimum incurred personal loan contribution regardless of family income)

p.s. I love Massachusetts, this is truly the Athens of America... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/us/12mass.html

My parents also had the do the business/farm supplement and I agree that it sucks. But why would it be required for you? Wouldn't it just be blank for us if we don't have a business or farm?

I think I saw in a fin aid brochure that the unit loan is 30K. doesn't this seem higher than many other schools??

i agree, especially for your situation. it's ludicrous that you need to collect such information when you are obviously fully independent. but these excessive, redundant forms are a pain for anyone, and the may 10th notice is also a real pain. i also want to take financial aid into account for my may 15th decision, so it's going to be a tight time there, and in addition, i'm also holding onto several waitlists and the BU deposit is another kick in the pants. oh well...i'm still excited about the open house, despite of the financial aid nightmare. see you all there?

i agree, especially for your situation. it's ludicrous that you need to collect such information when you are obviously fully independent. but these excessive, redundant forms are a pain for anyone, and the may 10th notice is also a real pain. i also want to take financial aid into account for my may 15th decision, so it's going to be a tight time there, and in addition, i'm also holding onto several waitlists and the BU deposit is another kick in the pants. oh well...i'm still excited about the open house, despite of the financial aid nightmare. see you all there?

I'll be at the 2nd look...hopefully it's fun. Anyone know what the evening activity in Boston is?

Maybe they take the $500 deposits that people lose and put them towards scholarships. That would make me feel better if I end up losing it.

And I'm just hoping the financial aid info reaches me a little quicker than my acceptance, which I just received in the mail on 4/11, despite living in the same zip code as BU, since they mailed it to an old address. :rolleyes:

FYI: After filling out the excess of fin aid forms, I got a preliminary package today (whatever that means) which was absolutely HORRIFIC. Essentially, they did not give me any institutional aid even though there is no way my family can afford to pay for BU. It's looking like I'll be at BU less and less now.

FYI: After filling out the excess of fin aid forms, I got a preliminary package today (whatever that means) which was absolutely HORRIFIC. Essentially, they did not give me any institutional aid even though there is no way my family can afford to pay for BU. It's looking like I'll be at BU less and less now.

my institutional aid consisted of an additional $9,000 loan...i guess there's about zero grant money available, right? oh well...i hope the education is worth it?

Hey, everybody that's going to the second look this weekend. Ironically, though I live in Cambridge, I won't be attending because I have a trip to visit friends that I planned way in advance for this weekend. My husband is going to attend in my place, which should be fun for him since he's a PhD student and finds this pre-med stuff pretty amusing. So, if you guys see a tall, thin white guy who looks a little confused, say "Hi" to my husband. His name is Adam.