Boston University class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, everybody that's going to the second look this weekend. Ironically, though I live in Cambridge, I won't be attending because I have a trip to visit friends that I planned way in advance for this weekend. My husband is going to attend in my place, which should be fun for him since he's a PhD student and finds this pre-med stuff pretty amusing. So, if you guys see a tall, thin white guy who looks a little confused, say "Hi" to my husband. His name is Adam.

I hope you're sending him with a list of questions ;)

Did anyone get confirmation after RSVPing? I didn't get anything. Oh well. I'll be showing up either way.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't any kind of confirmation either. Nor did they help set me up with a student host.

I didn't any kind of confirmation either. Nor did they help set me up with a student host.

This may seem random, but my husband and I are resident tutors in an undergrad dorm at MIT. We have students' friends stay over in one of our dorm lounges pretty often. If anybody isn't set up with a student host and needs a place to stay for second look, pm me. Of course, you'll have to behave yourself and submit to a criminal background check before I admit you into my undergrads' home, but I figure you're all used to that if you've gotten in to med school. How sketchy can you be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my finaid package. One 7850 institutional loan. Thanks, BU.

Has anyone heard anything more about 2nd look tomorrow? I guess we just show up there at 11:30?

see you in the morning!!!!!!

how was revisit today? I couldn't make it due ot last minute conflict. what kinda general stats/curriculum stuff did they provide that they didn't tell us before?

also, anyone know the summer start date? (i understand they are starting earlier in August rather than Sept).

Thanks folks!

how was revisit today? I couldn't make it due ot last minute conflict. what kinda general stats/curriculum stuff did they provide that they didn't tell us before?

also, anyone know the summer start date? (i understand they are starting earlier in August rather than Sept).

Thanks folks!

Start date is 8/13.

The day yesterday was actually kind of a drag, in my opinion. Lots of sitting and being talked at with no really new info. Night thing was at Lir and was okay. Seemed like a lot of the people I talked to were undecided about BU still.

Anyone else disappointed with their aid offer (or lack thereof) from BU? It's definitely where I want to go, but total estimated cost = 281K!!!!

yes. absolutely and thoroughly disappointed. not sure how i can afford it and it's making me lean toward my other option although Boston would be great.

Yep, I got my financial aid package too. Pretty much same deal. Any lucky souls getting a scholarship from BU?

Just wanted to let you know I am withdrawing from BU. It was a hard decision b/c BU is a great place and I love the city hospital, but the financial assistance was nil and it really isn't a viable option for me. Best of luck to you all!!

Just wanted to let you know I am withdrawing from BU. It was a hard decision b/c BU is a great place and I love the city hospital, but the financial assistance was nil and it really isn't a viable option for me. Best of luck to you all!!

Aww....where u gonna be going instead kbear12?

Members don't see this ad :)
trust me, even the BU scholarships are overrated- though I got one, the value is literally peanuts (read: not enough to even pay fees and health insurance). guess everyone just accepts that BU fin aid is 99.9% loans loans loans.

but i'm still coming! :)

Hey maybe you guys can help me with this...I'm a bit confused. So we start classes in August, and then the white coat ceremony is 4 weeks later in September?? Just want to make sure before I tell my parents.

school starts on Aug 13th. White coat is on Friday Sept 7th. I guess the first few weeks are a few classes and lots of awkwardly getting to meet people.

Okay guys, I decided...I'm in. Dropped off my deposit today.

The rumor is that the first couple weeks are focused on some of the public health classes and the epidemiology as well as an intro into integrated problems. But they wanted us to get to know each other a little bit better so that the White Coat ceremony means more too.

They also said at the open house that this time will also be used to familiarize us with the local community health centers that BU works with and help us get to know the cultures we will be working with.

But I'm still not entirely sure what else we will be doing - anyone else hear anything?

Oh! I dropped my deposit off today too!

That's something new! For the past 4 years, we always had white coat ceremony on the last day of the orientation week. Make sure you stay around for the good food after the ceremony!! BTW, I am a MS4, feel free to ask me if you have question about BU...

my deposit is in! fate is sealed (well effectively).

strange they havent posted any upcoming semester schedules up yet (sigh). anyone know any other details besides the 8/13 start date?

Okay guys, I decided...I'm in. Dropped off my deposit today.
Declined my other offers and turned in my deposit as well. I'm totally in for the the 2007 incoming class!

It doesn't seems like anyone got scholarships, although i'm sure they're out there.
Also, how was revisit weekend? Did they say anything useful/interesting? And is there any news on their podcasting classes or something like that?
Thanks.

Hey Mizilan- we meet again (we met on the HMS thread a few months back). looks like BU for both of us. see ya in a few months man!

Best of luck to y'all at BU. I'm heading to UAB myself. It was a really tough decision. Had to get out of Boston, but I hope you all love it here! Thanks for the good times!

Anyone gotten back confirmation that their deposit checks have been deposited by BU?

Anyone gotten back confirmation that their deposit checks have been deposited by BU?

Mine hasn't been cashed yet, but I got an email that it was received.

has anyone's check actually been posted to their respective banks yet? I know I'm being paranoid, but I turned my check in a while ago and it still has not been posted to my account. I got the confirmation email though, so maybe I'm being a little weird. If so, sorry. Thanks!

has anyone's check actually been posted to their respective banks yet? I know I'm being paranoid, but I turned my check in a while ago and it still has not been posted to my account. I got the confirmation email though, so maybe I'm being a little weird. If so, sorry. Thanks!

I feel the same way...a little paranoid. It's been almost a month since i turned it in...they still havent cashed it yet. But i did get the email confirmation of them getting it.

Yup - my check got cashed today - looks like it's officially BU!

See you all in August!

Hi Everyone,

I just got a phone call from BU yesterday -- I was accepted through a linkage with my post-bac program! :) I'm excited to meet everyone -- I live in the area so if anyone has any questions about Boston, feel free to message me.

Hi Everyone,

I just got a phone call from BU yesterday -- I was accepted through a linkage with my post-bac program! :) I'm excited to meet everyone -- I live in the area so if anyone has any questions about Boston, feel free to message me.

pmdc222 - what postbacc program were you in? Congrats on your acceptance btw.

I haven't heard anything after sent in the deposit in March (besides the confirm email). I am traveling right now and won't be back till July so just wondering if there's anything come in the mail that I haven't seen yet?? By the way, I will live in Harrison Court the first year, anyone there too???

I'll be in Harrison Court! My new roommate will also be a first year med. as well. We'll have to meet up once you arrive. :)

no additional info in the mail yet, although the admissions office says they'll be sending more info soon. however, they have emailed us allowing us to activate our BU.EDU email accounts and access other BU online resources.

hey folks, i live in Boston, and I received a packet of stuff from BUSM yesterday in the mail. apparently we get a free steth (and can even pick our color of the tubing!). other misc stuff enclosed too that we have to return by July 13th

They give a URL of http://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/osa/class-of-2011, however, it doesnt seem to be working.

hi guys,

my roommate and i are looking for a third for a sweet pad in brookline. were both going to BU for the graduate medical sciences program, the rent is 600-650 a month depending on what we decide to do with the parking spot that comes w/ it. the apartment is luxury-nice, and is really convenient to the T. PM me if you're interested and want to see pics

hey folks, i live in Boston, and I received a packet of stuff from BUSM yesterday in the mail. apparently we get a free steth (and can even pick our color of the tubing!). other misc stuff enclosed too that we have to return by July 13th

They give a URL of http://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/osa/class-of-2011, however, it doesnt seem to be working.

Yea. Isn't that awesome?! We get a free Litt Cards III stethoscope, WA otoscope, pressure cuff, and some other tools. :D:D So make sure you don't buy one.

Hi guys, I can't wait to meet everyone on August 13th! If anyone is still looking for housing, I'm currently looking for a 3rd (female) roommate. Here is the ad for the apartment:

$722/month, available August 15th or September 1st

Apartment is located in Harrison Court at the Boston University School of Medicine. Tenants are required to be students at BUSM (School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, Goldman School of Dental Medicine or School of Public Health). Room is available on August 15th or September 1st and is $722/month. Move in date has some flexibility.

We’re looking for a female roommate for a partitioned third bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment, two bath. Bedroom is spacious, great privacy with two respectful roommates and you can’t beat the price! Bedroom has air conditioning, free internet and cable is already hooked up in the room (paid monthly). Apartment has its own washer and dryer. Roommates are two female 1st year medical students at BUSM.

Apartment is located directly across the street from the Boston University School of Medicine and the Boston Medical Center. And is 4 blocks from the CT1 and Mass Ave. and 2 blocks from the Silver Line at Washington Street, both of which transfer to the Green Line (at Hynes or Boylston) or the Red Line (at Downtown Crossing). Groceries, up and coming restaurants and bars, all within walking distance.

I have lots of pictures, just message me if you're interested! Looking forward seeing everyone at orientation. :)