Boston University MAMS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boston University MAMS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thank you all for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this thread to ask any questions that you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread similar to this one for the BU Oral Health Sciences (OHS) Program for the incoming 2023 class?

If I decide to do the two-year program, Can I replace research with a concentration? And if so, how much does that increase the tuition? Thanks!

If I decide to do the two-year program, Can I replace research with a concentration? And if so, how much does that increase the tuition? Thanks!
Yes you can replace research with a concentration, but it would more than double the cost of the second year. Options for concentrations in this case would be Nutrition and Mental Health Counseling.

It should be noted that for students planning to attend medical school following MAMS, it is rare for them to opt for a concentration.

Yes you can replace research with a concentration, but it would more than double the cost of the second year. Options for concentrations in this case would be Nutrition and Mental Health Counseling.

It should be noted that for students planning to attend medical school following MAMS, it is rare for them to opt for a concentration.
I see, if I do not want to do research would it be wise to stick with the one-year program instead of trying to substitute it?

I see, if I do not want to do research would it be wise to stick with the one-year program instead of trying to substitute it?
The thesis you have to complete to graduate can either be literature-based or a research-based thesis. There are students who take a second year and do a literature-based thesis as well. What determines whether you graduate in one year or two is when you are able to complete the thesis. To graduate in one year, the thesis would be due during the summer following your first year of classes. This is tight timing for many people, especially those who want to take the MCAT and apply to medical school after finishing the coursework.

A difference between a literature and a research thesis is that you can receive a letter grade for a research thesis, which counts for 8 units, so this may incentivize choosing writing one type of thesis over the other. The literature thesis is graded on a P/F scale.

The thesis you have to complete to graduate can either be literature-based or a research-based thesis. There are students who take a second year and do a literature-based thesis as well. What determines whether you graduate in one year or two is when you are able to complete the thesis. To graduate in one year, the thesis would be due during the summer following your first year of classes. This is tight timing for many people, especially those who want to take the MCAT and apply to medical school after finishing the coursework.

A difference between a literature and a research thesis is that you can receive a letter grade for a research thesis, which counts for 8 units, so this may incentivize choosing writing one type of thesis over the other. The literature thesis is graded on a P/F scale.
Thank you for the explanation; it makes me feel much more comfortable if I attend BU.

Hey! Does anyone know if there has been a Facebook page made yet/will there be one for those planning to start MAMS this fall? I've been searching around but haven't found one yet.
A Facebook page has been made, but we're waiting on adding people. Rest assured, accepted students will be added upon request once the page is ready.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted all my application materials and recommendations in the first week of February, and I haven't received any confirmation that they've been marked as complete. Is this normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me what the size of this year”s cohort will be for MSMS?

Hi! How long should we anticipate receiving acceptances from the time of completing applications?

Hi! I submitted my application mid-May and haven't got a reply. I am worried about not having ample time to obtain a visa, should I write an E-mail for an inquiry? Thanks!

Hi! I submitted my application mid-May and haven't got a reply. I am worried about not having ample time to obtain a visa, should I write an E-mail for an inquiry? Thanks!
I have the same situation. I’ve submitted my application on 18th of May and I’m still waiting.

Hello Junhao. Any inquiries about your personal situation are best discussed through email correspondence. Feel free to reach out.

Could you talk about the curriculum and grading system? Do you jump into 1st year medical school classes immediately? Are exams taken all the same week? Is tutoring provided?

I recently got accepted and I'm incredibly excited to accept the offer, but also want to gauge the rigor and if there's enough support, like workshops on study skills.

Thank you!

Could you talk about the curriculum and grading system? Do you jump into 1st year medical school classes immediately? Are exams taken all the same week? Is tutoring provided?

I recently got accepted and I'm incredibly excited to accept the offer, but also want to gauge the rigor and if there's enough support, like workshops on study skills.

Thank you!
Do you mind sharing your stat? I have a 3.4 GPA and 510 MCAT and I just got rejected......