Boston University MAMS 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boston University MAMS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you all for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this page to ask any questions that you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So excited to have been accepted. I'm wondering how much research can be done during one's first year of MAMS — are students who plan to do the two-year track able to continue part-time lab research? Or do most students use the first year to focus solely on courses/academics? I ask because I want to make sure I can maintain a connection with my current lab so that I can do my thesis based on work completed there. Thanks in advance and super excited! :)

Hi! So excited to have been accepted. I'm wondering how much research can be done during one's first year of MAMS — are students who plan to do the two-year track able to continue part-time lab research? Or do most students use the first year to focus solely on courses/academics? I ask because I want to make sure I can maintain a connection with my current lab so that I can do my thesis based on work completed there. Thanks in advance and super excited! :)
Hello and welcome!! The first year requires a great amount of focus on coursework, and engaging in extracurriculars is largely discouraged. I know many students who were able to maintain a remote relationship with their previous labs without directly supporting them and easily return to the lab after the first year. They were upfront about their intentions of returning and this seemed to be a fairly smooth process. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Just sent in my acceptance for the Boston MAMS program and I'm so excited and grateful for the opportunity. :) I had two short questions - what do most students do for housing? I know that the medical campus doesn't offer graduate housing, but south campus does and have a shuttle - is this the route most MAMS students take? Also, is there anything you would recommend for students to do the summer before entering? I know the first year is focused on academics, so I was wondering if I should focus on short term clinical experience, etc? Thank you in advance!

Hello and welcome to MAMS!

1. By the end of May, you will receive an email from the registrar outlining how to set up your BU email. With this account, you can access listings on BU housing Graduate Housing | Boston University Housing

These listings are for grad housing on the undergrad campus- 3 miles and a shuttle bus ride away from the medical campus. The alternative is to rent an apartment near the medical school (South End of Boston) with several classmates. There will be a BU Medical Center housing fair for off campus apartments sometime in May that I recommend joining. They give some valuable info in navigating the process. Most people I know found apartments on their own, and there will be many listings (on Zillow, etc.) available this summer in anticipation of a new academic year.

2. I recommend connecting with your friends and enjoying time with your loved ones over the summer so that you come to Boston refreshed and ready to dig into the academics. If there are clinical experiences that excite you, go for it!

I’ve applied, and I am waiting on a decision. I’ve been doing research on different living situations. Is living near Fenway stadium a doable commute to the medical campus?

Do students ever commute from Allston? Is there parking available at or near the medical campus for students? Is there a well known transport system from Allston? Sorry for all the questions, I am from the south and things are a lot different haha!

Do students ever commute from Allston? Is there parking available at or near the medical campus for students? Is there a well known transport system from Allston? Sorry for all the questions, I am from the south and things are a lot different haha!
Hi there and welcome! I know a few folks who commute from Allston (and from even further out) via car or commuter rail. There is parking available nearby that is paid on a monthly basis. However, many choose to walk, bike or take public transit most days. There is access to both bus (via many buses) and subway (via the green line) from Allston. You may find it helpful to consult this map when securing housing to get a good sense of what stops are available to you.

Hi there and welcome! I know a few folks who commute from Allston (and from even further out) via car or commuter rail. There is parking available nearby that is paid on a monthly basis. However, many choose to walk, bike or take public transit most days. There is access to both bus (via many buses) and subway (via the green line) from Allston. You may find it helpful to consult this map when securing housing to get a good sense of what stops are available to you.
Is commuter parking guaranteed if you pay monthly for it? Or is it first come first serve type of situation?

Hello, I got into the program and I am so grateful for this opportunity. If I join on campus housing and I bring a car, would there be a place for me to park? I heard boston usually runs on the train so I wasn't sure what to do.

Hello, I got into the program and I am so grateful for this opportunity. If I join on campus housing and I bring a car, would there be a place for me to park? I heard boston usually runs on the train so I wasn't sure what to do.
Hello and welcome! You would purchase a campus resident parking permit and park on the street in most cases.

Hi! I just got accepted by the program. I wonder if there's a group chat or something where we could connect with our peers?