Program-Specific Info / Q's Boston University OTD 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

octher2017

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I haven't seen a thread for Boston University's OTD admissions this cycle and I know interviews start Friday so figured I'd make one for everybody to stress together.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know when we're supposed to be hearing back?
In my interview with the chair of the department she said we would hear back in the next couple weeks. Sorry I don't have an exact date! I'm hoping it is sooner than later!
 
For anyone that's attending...do you know of a facebook group or something for students in our cohort? Really hoping to meet some people and get connected
 
I'm definitely submitting the deposit and most likely attending just need to figure out the financial part if I receive other offers 🙂 and I'm not aware of any Facebook groups yet...
Yeah I feel that. I wish I got a scholarship, I know two people that did. Oh well lol
 
@OTfromBC @AspiringOTD18 Current student here. Congrats to everyone who got in! There isn't a FB group for your cohort, from past experience someone from the cohort makes the FB group. There is, however, a group for all OT students past, present, and future! That apparently I'm not allowed to post yet, but it's called BU Occupational Therapy.

For those of you who didn't get the merit scholarship, don't forget to apply for financial aid! There is a needs based scholarship that is available.

Feel free to ask any questions 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@OTfromBC @AspiringOTD18 Current student here. Congrats to everyone who got in! There isn't a FB group for your cohort, from past experience someone from the cohort makes the FB group. There is, however, a group for all OT students past, present, and future! That apparently I'm not allowed to post yet, but it's called BU Occupational Therapy.

For those of you who didn't get the merit scholarship, don't forget to apply for financial aid! There is a needs based scholarship that is available.

Feel free to ask any questions 🙂
Do you know if there is a set date for second round interviews or if they just do them as needed if people drop from first rounds? I was late to applying so didn't hit the priority deadline but am super interested in BU thanks! 🙂
 
Hi I'm so sorry to bother you but could you tell me what you're gpa and GRE scores were? I am trying to see what the average is for being accepted I am applying next year
Overall GPA was a 3.22, Pre-req was pretty close to a 4.0 (3.98 I think?). GRE Scores were 155 V 156 Q, 4.0 writing.
 
Do you know if there is a set date for second round interviews or if they just do them as needed if people drop from first rounds? I was late to applying so didn't hit the priority deadline but am super interested in BU thanks! 🙂

Not sure of the date, but there will definitely be another round of interviews!
 
Hi there!
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85 depending, still need A&P II, taking in the spring
GRE: 168 Verbal, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
They take a lot more into account than this - OT experience, volunteer work, extracurriculars, essays, interview, etc. So spend the year shadowing and building up your resume too! Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions!

Hi I'm so sorry to bother you but could you tell me what you're gpa and GRE scores were? I am trying to see what the average is for being accepted I am applying next year
 
Hi there!
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85 depending, still need A&P II, taking in the spring
GRE: 168 Verbal, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
They take a lot more into account than this - OT experience, volunteer work, extracurriculars, essays, interview, etc. So spend the year shadowing and building up your resume too! Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions!
thank you so much i really appreciate it! Congratulations again on getting in Boston University is my dream school!
 
Hey y'all! Just wondering if anyone else has accepted their offer at BU? Only two more days to do so. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!
 
thank you so much i really appreciate it! Congratulations again on getting in Boston University is my dream school!
I had the opportunity to meet a faculty over the summer and this professor told me that they consider everything equally, nothing is weighted more. But the professor also mentioned that the specific essay question they have you write for them is very important.
 
I read online 84% of people in Sargent College (which encompasses pt, ot, speech, nutrition, etc.) get either merit scholarships, or need-based scholarships. Unfortunately I didn't receive merit in my admissions offer (which makes sense because I had the lowest gpa and gre scores out of everyone I talked to), but nearly every student I've talked to that has been accepted received something. I guess that is a testimony to the idea that everything is in fact considered equally, as I had really strong essays, a large amount of hours, and decent extra-curricular involvement. I do plan on applying for need-based scholarship though.
 
I’m guessing I will not receive anything from Boston since I haven’t gotten an email with interview offer and I applied regular decision :/
 
Do you know how common it is for them to give out merit scholarships? My deadline to accept my spot at WashU is well before my BU interview and I've already committed to Pitt so I don't want to waste deposit money. I'm leaning towards Pitt so really the only thing that would make me switch would be if BU cost less than Pitt.
I honestly don't know how often they give out merit scholarships. I'm sorry!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m guessing I will not receive anything from Boston since I haven’t gotten an email with interview offer and I applied regular decision :/
I haven’t gotten an email either 🙁 I’m so worried that means i definitely didn’t get in
 
@OTfromBC @AspiringOTD18 Current student here. Congrats to everyone who got in! There isn't a FB group for your cohort, from past experience someone from the cohort makes the FB group. There is, however, a group for all OT students past, present, and future! That apparently I'm not allowed to post yet, but it's called BU Occupational Therapy.

For those of you who didn't get the merit scholarship, don't forget to apply for financial aid! There is a needs based scholarship that is available.

Feel free to ask any questions 🙂
How expensive is housing/are there any areas that you would recommend? I am trying to find a few places to look at while I'm up for my interview since I am out of state. Thanks!
 
I applied to BU regular decision and have yet to receive any email- whether an offer or denial for an interview. When I emailed asking about this (since they had said OT interviews were in February), they just replied saying acceptances would be offered in March and to make sure I had the right email in OTCAS. Do people know if the 23rd is their last round of interviews? And if so, do they not send out rejections until later?
 
I applied to BU regular decision and have yet to receive any email- whether an offer or denial for an interview. When I emailed asking about this (since they had said OT interviews were in February), they just replied saying acceptances would be offered in March and to make sure I had the right email in OTCAS. Do people know if the 23rd is their last round of interviews? And if so, do they not send out rejections until later?
Did he also say in the email that your application and it’s materials are presently under review?
 
Yes! She emailed me saying "your application and its materials have been received and are presently under review". Did the same happen for you?
Yes! honestly that confused me even more because if my application is presently under review I haven't been rejected yet but also the interviews are this Friday and it's clearly too late to be invited....so I'm thinking i was rejected but they're not gonna say that in the email response. They probably don't send emails saying you're not invited to the interview and just send out rejections at the same time as acceptances. Maybe i'm wrong though?
 
Yes! honestly that confused me even more because if my application is presently under review I haven't been rejected yet but also the interviews are this Friday and it's clearly too late to be invited....so I'm thinking i was rejected but they're not gonna say that in the email response. They probably don't send emails saying you're not invited to the interview and just send out rejections at the same time as acceptances. Maybe i'm wrong though?

Yeah. Unfortunately, I am also assuming that is the case. Just find it very odd that they won't send out rejections now. Maybe by the off-chance that someone drops from the interview? I also emailed them about interviews in January and they told me the interviews would be in February... so I followed up from that email and they kind of just ignored the question. Sorry you're in the same boat. Stinks.
 
Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back about reg decision from the interview the other week?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad