Program-Specific Info / Q's Boston University OTD 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

octher2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven't seen a thread for Boston University's OTD admissions this cycle and I know interviews start Friday so figured I'd make one for everybody to stress together.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I haven't seen a thread for Boston University's OTD admissions this cycle and I know interviews start Friday so figured I'd make one for everybody to stress together.
Hahaha I’ll be interviewing at 1:00!

Does anybody know when we're supposed to be hearing back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when we're supposed to be hearing back?
In my interview with the chair of the department she said we would hear back in the next couple weeks. Sorry I don't have an exact date! I'm hoping it is sooner than later!

What did yall think? I really love the program

I don't want to wait any longer :( for some reason I was thinking that we'd hear back by the end of this week...

Well I got accepted today, and I hope yall did too!

Reactions: 1 users
Same! I'm now struggling to make the decision between BU and Thomas Jefferson!

For anyone that's attending...do you know of a facebook group or something for students in our cohort? Really hoping to meet some people and get connected

I'm definitely submitting the deposit and most likely attending just need to figure out the financial part if I receive other offers :) and I'm not aware of any Facebook groups yet...

Are you going??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely submitting the deposit and most likely attending just need to figure out the financial part if I receive other offers :) and I'm not aware of any Facebook groups yet...
Yeah I feel that. I wish I got a scholarship, I know two people that did. Oh well lol

@OTfromBC @AspiringOTD18 Current student here. Congrats to everyone who got in! There isn't a FB group for your cohort, from past experience someone from the cohort makes the FB group. There is, however, a group for all OT students past, present, and future! That apparently I'm not allowed to post yet, but it's called BU Occupational Therapy.

For those of you who didn't get the merit scholarship, don't forget to apply for financial aid! There is a needs based scholarship that is available.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

@OTfromBC @AspiringOTD18 Current student here. Congrats to everyone who got in! There isn't a FB group for your cohort, from past experience someone from the cohort makes the FB group. There is, however, a group for all OT students past, present, and future! That apparently I'm not allowed to post yet, but it's called BU Occupational Therapy.

For those of you who didn't get the merit scholarship, don't forget to apply for financial aid! There is a needs based scholarship that is available.

Do you know if there is a set date for second round interviews or if they just do them as needed if people drop from first rounds? I was late to applying so didn't hit the priority deadline but am super interested in BU thanks! :)

Hi I'm so sorry to bother you but could you tell me what you're gpa and GRE scores were? I am trying to see what the average is for being accepted I am applying next year
Overall GPA was a 3.22, Pre-req was pretty close to a 4.0 (3.98 I think?). GRE Scores were 155 V 156 Q, 4.0 writing.

Do you know if there is a set date for second round interviews or if they just do them as needed if people drop from first rounds? I was late to applying so didn't hit the priority deadline but am super interested in BU thanks! :)

Not sure of the date, but there will definitely be another round of interviews!

Hi there!
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85 depending, still need A&P II, taking in the spring
GRE: 168 Verbal, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
They take a lot more into account than this - OT experience, volunteer work, extracurriculars, essays, interview, etc. So spend the year shadowing and building up your resume too! Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions!

Hi I'm so sorry to bother you but could you tell me what you're gpa and GRE scores were? I am trying to see what the average is for being accepted I am applying next year

Hi there!
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85 depending, still need A&P II, taking in the spring
GRE: 168 Verbal, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
They take a lot more into account than this - OT experience, volunteer work, extracurriculars, essays, interview, etc. So spend the year shadowing and building up your resume too! Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions!
thank you so much i really appreciate it! Congratulations again on getting in Boston University is my dream school!

Good luck to any future applicants! BU is a great school, but I've chosen another! Good luck with everything!

Hey y'all! Just wondering if anyone else has accepted their offer at BU? Only two more days to do so. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!

Has anyone received an invite for the second round of interviews yet (reg decision)?

thank you so much i really appreciate it! Congratulations again on getting in Boston University is my dream school!
I had the opportunity to meet a faculty over the summer and this professor told me that they consider everything equally, nothing is weighted more. But the professor also mentioned that the specific essay question they have you write for them is very important.

I read online 84% of people in Sargent College (which encompasses pt, ot, speech, nutrition, etc.) get either merit scholarships, or need-based scholarships. Unfortunately I didn't receive merit in my admissions offer (which makes sense because I had the lowest gpa and gre scores out of everyone I talked to), but nearly every student I've talked to that has been accepted received something. I guess that is a testimony to the idea that everything is in fact considered equally, as I had really strong essays, a large amount of hours, and decent extra-curricular involvement. I do plan on applying for need-based scholarship though.

I’m guessing I will not receive anything from Boston since I haven’t gotten an email with interview offer and I applied regular decision :/

Do you know how common it is for them to give out merit scholarships? My deadline to accept my spot at WashU is well before my BU interview and I've already committed to Pitt so I don't want to waste deposit money. I'm leaning towards Pitt so really the only thing that would make me switch would be if BU cost less than Pitt.
I honestly don't know how often they give out merit scholarships. I'm sorry!

I’m guessing I will not receive anything from Boston since I haven’t gotten an email with interview offer and I applied regular decision :/
I haven’t gotten an email either :( I’m so worried that means i definitely didn’t get in

How expensive is housing/are there any areas that you would recommend? I am trying to find a few places to look at while I'm up for my interview since I am out of state. Thanks!

I was invited for an interview! February 23rd. Does anyone have any advice?

I applied to BU regular decision and have yet to receive any email- whether an offer or denial for an interview. When I emailed asking about this (since they had said OT interviews were in February), they just replied saying acceptances would be offered in March and to make sure I had the right email in OTCAS. Do people know if the 23rd is their last round of interviews? And if so, do they not send out rejections until later?

I applied to BU regular decision and have yet to receive any email- whether an offer or denial for an interview. When I emailed asking about this (since they had said OT interviews were in February), they just replied saying acceptances would be offered in March and to make sure I had the right email in OTCAS. Do people know if the 23rd is their last round of interviews? And if so, do they not send out rejections until later?
Did he also say in the email that your application and it’s materials are presently under review?

Anyone know how many seats they filled already with early decision?

Anyone know how many seats they filled already with early decision?
No idea but i would say there was maybe 40 people that interviewed for early decision, not including skype interviews

No idea but i would say there was maybe 40 people that interviewed for early decision, not including skype interviews
oh okay thanks! Looks like about 50 signed up for reg decision interviews. Maybe 50/50 early and reg decision. I'm so nervous!!!

Did he also say in the email that your application and it’s materials are presently under review?

Yes! She emailed me saying "your application and its materials have been received and are presently under review". Did the same happen for you?

Yes! She emailed me saying "your application and its materials have been received and are presently under review". Did the same happen for you?
Yes! honestly that confused me even more because if my application is presently under review I haven't been rejected yet but also the interviews are this Friday and it's clearly too late to be invited....so I'm thinking i was rejected but they're not gonna say that in the email response. They probably don't send emails saying you're not invited to the interview and just send out rejections at the same time as acceptances. Maybe i'm wrong though?

Yes! honestly that confused me even more because if my application is presently under review I haven't been rejected yet but also the interviews are this Friday and it's clearly too late to be invited....so I'm thinking i was rejected but they're not gonna say that in the email response. They probably don't send emails saying you're not invited to the interview and just send out rejections at the same time as acceptances. Maybe i'm wrong though?

Yeah. Unfortunately, I am also assuming that is the case. Just find it very odd that they won't send out rejections now. Maybe by the off-chance that someone drops from the interview? I also emailed them about interviews in January and they told me the interviews would be in February... so I followed up from that email and they kind of just ignored the question. Sorry you're in the same boat. Stinks.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back about reg decision from the interview the other week?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back about reg decision from the interview the other week?
The early interview was 12/8 and we heard back 12/20. Not sure if it'll be the same length of time but maybe!

I just received my acceptance via email!

I interview on February 23rd and received my decision on March 7th!