Boston University vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ryliecahill2

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These schools appeal to me for different reasons, and I'm struggling to decide what factors to prioritize. For context, I am from the east coast and currently living on the west coast. I may want to match to west coast for residency.
Georgetown
Pros
  • I like DC as a city
  • ~10 degrees warmer than Boston, less harsh winters (I hate winter / get SAD. I will still experience that in DC but maybe to a lesser extent?)
  • More preferable location for SO due to their support system
  • Opportunities in DC for health policy advocacy, which is an interest of mine
  • Marginally closer to my family than BU (3 hrs vs 5 hrs)
  • Everyone gets to volunteer at free Hoya Clinic & several other service opportunities
  • I am interested in their longitudinal tracks (health justice scholars, clinical medical spanish, population health scholar tracks)
  • There are virtual one-week long intersessions between blocks that could be used to occasionally travel
Cons
  • People seem to think GU is overrated as a medical school
  • You have to take Step 1 at the end of February, and I get the impression this is stressful/rushed. I think Step 1 pass rate is slightly below national avg? But you get 8 weeks to study for it vs 4 weeks at BU.
  • DC residencies are said to be malignant? Not sure if that applies to GU residencies. But that would be a con for having a solid home program to match to.

Boston University
Pros
  • I resonate with BMC's social justice mission & the way they address social determinants of health in hands-on ways
  • Students feel prepared to serve a diverse patient population (I don't know much about the quality of clinical training at GU to compare though)
  • Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights (interested in refugee health)
  • Would get to use/improve my Spanish
Cons
  • I have never been to Boston, so it's unfamiliar to me. Though this could be seen as a pro.
  • Harsher winters / SAD! This is honestly what I'm most scared of.
  • Slightly farther from family, and SO would have support system in DC but not in Boston

Summary: I prefer DC to Boston because I'm scared of Boston winters and my SO prefers DC as well, but I hear negative things about Georgetown, so I’m more excited about BU as a school. I don't know that my pros for GU outweigh the cons. But, I am interested in psychiatry, so maybe I should prioritize the location that I prefer? I would also appreciate more insight about either school.
 
Last edited:
Is there a cost difference, or do you know yet?

I don’t think Boston winters are bad, and med school is a nice time to explore a place you haven’t lived, knowing you may not stay for residency. Get a happy lamp and megadose Vitamin D.

You sound more excited about BU, for whatever that is worth. Maybe worth visiting Boston?
 
Georgetown sounds like the way to go. I won't say that all of your concerns about Georgetown are unsubstantiated, but things like passing Step 1 are ultimately more dependent on you than the school and GT matches well across the east coast so if you don't want to deal with a DC residency, you don't have to. Unless you have some very specific goals, the prestige difference between georgetown and BU is negligible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get the ambivalence: both Georgetown and Boston Univ have great opportunities with social medicine and policy/advocacy. Both should be able to get you to a West Coast externship/rotation/residency audition. I think the curricular and grading differences (if there are any) should play a bigger factor.

What's your cost difference? How about the cost to cross the country (or wherever "home" is) twice a year to visit family?

Also, summers are getting warmer on this planet. If you love 90-degree, humid days in DC over SAD in Boston (where it might not snow as much as it used to), it's up to you.