UC Davis vs Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Valhalla98

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently living in California and would like to match into a West Coast neurosurgical program. Assume no financial scholarships.

UC Davis:

Pros:
  • Close to home and family support system (Sacramento area)
  • True Pass/Fail for both preclinical AND core clerkships (huge for wellness/Step 2 prep)
  • Strong Neurosurgery department: Ranked #14 in NIH funding
  • Early clinical exposure through student-run clinics
  • Cheaper living costs and in-state tuition
  • Warm Weather

Cons:
  • 2-year preclinical curriculum
  • Sacramento is not the most exciting city compared to other major cities
  • Lower national ranking
Boston University (Chobanian & Avedisian):

Pros:
  • Accelerated 1.5-year preclinical
  • Higher national prestige and "brand name" recognition
  • Located in a biotech and academic medical hotspot
  • Diverse patient exposure at Boston Medical Center (major safety-net hospital)
  • Exciting and vibrant city

Cons:
  • Graded third-year clerkships
  • Brutal winters
  • Very high cost of living
  • Across the country from family

Summary:
I like the idea of attending Davis since I would be close to family and have lower tuition/cost of living, but I worry that I will be hurting my match opportunities due to the difference in name recognition. I think it would be cool to live in an exciting city like Boston and have access to so many amazing institutions, but I fear for the cost of living.
 
UC Davis seems to be choice here. You prefer their curriculum, proximity to home and CA, and they have a strong home program in your chosen specialty. The ranking difference you note seems pretty insignificant considering the fact that both schools are well respected in medicine and you want to match in CA. Neurosurgery is hard to match regardless of where you go and based on their match lists neither school is regularly matching students into NS. But those that have in recent years from Davis have all matched to Davis's home program. This is worth noting if you want to match in CA and would be happy to do residency at Davis.

All this + the fact that Davis would be cheaper makes me think it's a clear winner here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Davis. No way Boston is a better option if your goal is to stay in CA.

It’ll be eleven years away from home if you go to Boston. That’s if you match in ns.

All the Davis trained doctors I know here on the central coast are great.

Congrats.