Program-Specific Info / Q's Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otappmsu

Reaction score
Hi! I'm in the process of applying to Boston University and I am just wondering if anyone has applied/been accepted that could give me some tips? I wasn't planning on applying because I didn't think I was a competitive applicant, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Anyone else in the same boat?

Here my stats for some reference:
University: Michigan State University
Major: Kinesiology
Cognate: Cognitive and Motor Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.95
GPA for 60 credits: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0

GRE:
- Verbal: 153
- Quantitative: 157
- Writing: 4.5

Extracurriculars:
- Nursery Attendant - 1.5 years
- Babysitter for two boys with ASD - 5 years
- Research Assistant in a Human Development & Family Studies lab - 2 years
- Research Assistant in a Kinesiology lab - 1.5 years
- ULA for Introductory Physiology - 1 year
- Orientation Leader - 1 summer
- Direct Support Professional at Brain Injury Rehab - 2 months (I just started this job)
- 51 hours in Outpatient Rehab
- Member of Pre-PT/OT Club - 1 year
- Member of Special Olympics - 1 year
- Member of Students for St. Baldricks - 1 year

Letters of Recommendations:
- Physiology Professor
- Research Supervisor
- Outpatient OT
- Nursery Employer

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I applied to BU Early Decision and have an interview this week. To me, you seem really competitive! Your GPA is amazing and your extracurriculars make you seem like you have a lot of varied experience that is relevant to OT :) I saw on another post that you discovered OT at the end of your 1st year, so it really seems like you jumped headfirst into things to prepare you as much as possible (pre-PT/OT club, volunteering, your current job). From everything I've heard, OT schools definitely understand that some people discover OT later in their college career, so I don't think they'd hold that against you when you seem to have put in so much effort to get involved. Also, they're not even looking at GRE scores this year. ;)

BU also has two short-answer essays that might give you a place to shine if you're still worried about what your stats look like. I heard directly from them that they review applications holistically, and they emphasize how much they value your personal statement and essays!

If you have any more questions or want more advice, feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I applied to BU Early Decision and have an interview this week. To me, you seem really competitive! Your GPA is amazing and your extracurriculars make you seem like you have a lot of varied experience that is relevant to OT :) I saw on another post that you discovered OT at the end of your 1st year, so it really seems like you jumped headfirst into things to prepare you as much as possible (pre-PT/OT club, volunteering, your current job). From everything I've heard, OT schools definitely understand that some people discover OT later in their college career, so I don't think they'd hold that against you when you seem to have put in so much effort to get involved. Also, they're not even looking at GRE scores this year. ;)

BU also has two short-answer essays that might give you a place to shine if you're still worried about what your stats look like. I heard directly from them that they review applications holistically, and they emphasize how much they value your personal statement and essays!

If you have any more questions or want more advice, feel free to DM me!
Hello, I applied for their reg decision. Thank you for your post! Was the interview difficult or they did ask you out of the blue questions?

Hello, I applied for their reg decision. Thank you for your post! Was the interview difficult or they did ask you out of the blue questions?
That’s awesome, I’m glad you decided to go for it! I also really liked their interview style - especially in comparison to other interviews I’ve had (both for other OT schools and unrelated things). BU worded a lot of the standard interview questions (why OT, why this program, etc.) in a really open-ended way that gave the space to talk about what you wanted to. I heard from other students that it threw them off because it felt a bit vague, but to me it seemed like it gave me the chance to focus on what I wanted to make sure they knew about me and to go more in-depth into things in my application that I might not have had the chance to!

Reactions: 1 user