Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathSoccerDude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did a search for past posts on Boston residency choices, lots of advice/opinions on BID, MGH, and BWH, but not a lot about Boston University and Tufts...anyone have any insight into these programs? Are they competitive or good? If you don't feel like posting in the forum you can always private message me. Thanks guys...:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested to hear any info about BU or Tufts as well. :)

BU (boston university) vs Tufts - NEMC IM (INTERNAL MEDICINE)
can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeee COMPARE these two programs...
they both have good fellowship placements for cards
they both are in boston (ghetto vs chinatown - can someone comment on the areas as well)
scutwork does a poor job of discussing them i feel
what are the reputations like in comparison to each other

intern year - frontloaded bu VS ?? can someone expand on this

residents - how are they in comparison - i hear both places might be malignant

i havne't seen anyone compare these yet...i think it woudl be very helpful

Dr. IM

Members don't see this ad :)
BU (boston university) vs Tufts - NEMC IM (INTERNAL MEDICINE)
can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeee COMPARE these two programs...
they both have good fellowship placements for cards
they both are in boston (ghetto vs chinatown - can someone comment on the areas as well)
scutwork does a poor job of discussing them i feel
what are the reputations like in comparison to each other

intern year - frontloaded bu VS ?? can someone expand on this

residents - how are they in comparison - i hear both places might be malignant

i havne't seen anyone compare these yet...i think it woudl be very helpful

Dr. IM

Um, this is the pathology forum. You might want to post your question in the internal medicine forum.

There is some activity about BU here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5227198#post5227198

No one has ever been successful in getting any info about the Tufts/NEMC program out of this forum. Not sure why. I met a couple of attendings in the past who trained there and they came out well trained. Although the biggest name from the past (DeLellis) has since left. Tufts is probably the smallest program in Boston, I don't think they have any fellowships.

Hi

I'm a resident at Boston Medical Center...feel free to ask me questions...I'm very happy here.

Thanks PathMom for the reply.

I am also interested in Boston U (Path). Do you do specialty rotations or general? How is the atmosphere there? Do you get get to read slides and discuss every case with attendings on the next day? How is the day organized? What do you think is the unique advantage as a BU resident vs. other programs in Boston?

Sorry for the numerous questions. Any insights will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

:mad:Tufts has a pathology residency program??? FFS.

Perfect example of how there are WAY too many training slots for demand.

Boston has what...Enough pathology residents to staff every hospital of the developed world?

Hi

I'm a resident at Boston Medical Center...feel free to ask me questions...I'm very happy here.

thanks for the offer pathmom. instead of a bunch of PMs, perhaps you could share some info about the BU program here for all of us that are applying this year (and in the near future) to reap. a few common questions i think we'd all be interested in:

how's the volume of material? too much/little, or just right?

how are the faculty at teaching?

how's the CP teaching? does it exist, or is mostly self-taught from textbooks?

how do the residents get along with each other, and with the faculty?

because the Harvard hospitals are also in Boston, do you get enough zebras to have a wide variety of pathologies?

what is the surg path schedule like (ie, grossing, previewing, signout stuff)?

reasonable work hours?

thanks so much for the info.

I second the forum questions, thanks ml for asking on behalf of us interested in BU...

I think I can answer the zebra part - I wouldn't be surprised if BU sees more zebras, simply because of the patient population which for the most part does not really overlap with the harvard or other private hospitals. BMC is a public hospital.

Ok...I wasn't expecting such a huge response...
I think I can answer most questions...if I forget anything feel free to private message me. We are a small program, the atmosphere is very friendly, Faculty are wonderful. The teaching is ok, there are daily conferences, but most of the important learning for me anyway takes place at the scope and on the bench. The volume is not too heavy-definitely not as much as MGH or Brigham. We preview and sign out every case we gross which is awesome for learning. The schedule is a rotating schedule so you gross one day and screen the next. We have PAs who gross placentas and biopsies and a few larges too. The CP teaching is great in heme, micro and blood bank...chemistry is currently lacking but we just hired a new chair of lab med who will hopefully fix that. You can learn chemistry out of a book anyway. Graduates from our program never have issues passing the CP boards.
About the Zebra question...BU is awesome if you like zebras...typical case is a 45 year old male walks off of a plane from India and takes a cab to boston medical center with some random tumor. We have a very large underserved population who is not very great at getting regular physicals, so we get to see some more advanced pathology than I think you will get at other area hsopitals.
So Yaah was right about the zebras, but contrary to popular belief boston medical center is not a public hospital...we are private since about 10 years ago I believe.
Oh and before a get back to work...A huge plus to our program is that we have a brand-new facility- new offices- each resident has their own computer, phone and microscope, gross room (with windows!!), conference room with plasma TV and HD projector. Also our residents are unionized at BMC so we make more salary and get better benefits than the other area hospitals!
Ok...let me know if I missed anything

Hi Pathmom:
Wonder if you might answer a few questions for a new mom who just dropped out of her IM residency (crazy hours + spouse with crazier hours+no family for back-up childcare=no one spending enough time with new baby and an insane mommy!) I had thought about path in the past and I am thinking about it again now. I love the science and the academic aspect of it. What are your work hours like? Do you see your kids? Do they remember you? I need to be in Boston b/c my husband practices here and isn't moving. Any thoughts would be great on or off this posting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Right coaster

I feel like we should have a doctor-mommy support group...
I love path for the same reasons, and when I was applying I was deciding between IM and path, I think because they are the most intellectual specialties. One major difference is in IM you round standing up, while in path you get to sit down at a microscope!
I can't speak for other programs, but I see my kids a lot, and they both know who I am. My son was 5 weeks old when I started by residency and I was so scared that he would think his caretaker was his mommy- but that was totally not the case. Kids are pretty smart...
The first 6 months while I was getting a hang of grossing and looking at slides my hours were pretty long...never past 10PM. Something that's great about AP call also is that we don't take frozen section call overnight. And about every 2 months we take weekend call to gross larges and do autopsies if any- usually takes a few hours and that's it. Most weekends free- another thing that turned me off to IM.
Also, not that I'm endorsing it...I had my second baby in my second year and for the most part the program was pretty supportive. I would say if you want to get an idea about our program, come and visit...everyone who does loves it.

I heard it may be difficult during the first year, then not a big issue. ;)

Where is the BU med center?? I used to live off Commonwealth Ave near the BU Taco Bell...

I like to rank residencies on nearby food options and have to say the BWH Au Bon Pain is a tough one to beat.

Stanford has like 4 Starbucks AND a Peet's coffee, also in my top 5.

Dunno if Stanford can be beat for eating options now that I think about given the Stanford Mall is directly adjacent to the Childrens Hospital.

I usually had to wait for 30-45min to get into the Westwood Olive Garden at lunch BUT UCLA has a In-n-Out Burger...hmm tough choices.

I dont recall any particularily tasty options at MGH, but I didnt spend that much time there.

BU is affiliated with Boston Medical Center which is in the south end of Boston. I might have to argue that we have the best food around being in the south end...for those of you who don't know much about Boston...the south end is the new "up and coming" area and there are all these great trendy new restaurants. I'd have to say tufts is a close second being in Chinatown.

Where is the BU med center?? I used to live off Commonwealth Ave near the BU Taco Bell...

I like to rank residencies on nearby food options and have to say the BWH Au Bon Pain is a tough one to beat.

Dunno if Stanford can be beat for eating options now that I think about given the Stanford Mall is directly adjacent to the Childrens Hospital.

I usually had to wait for 30-45min to get into the Westwood Olive Garden at lunch BUT UCLA has a In-n-Out Burger...hmm tough choices.

I dont recall any particularily tasty options at MGH, but I didnt spend that much time there.

Ha! the BU taco Bell... man I haven't thought about that hell hole in years..
Good ol Warren.

The BU medical center is NO where near main campus...
it is south on mass ave.. on the #1 if that means anything to you.
In the south end.

In-N-Out, FTW. I cringe everytime I think about having to drive 10-15 min south on 19th ave/280 just to get some of that goodness. We have some pretty nice choices around the main campus (Thai, Ethiopian, Indian,etc) and over by SFGH you really can't beat some of the food choices in the Mission.

Another good matrix to measure residencies by are places where you can slip out for lunch and find eligible singles to ask out on dates. Someplace where there are relatively hot non-medical types milling about. Would probably put UCLA at the top of that list. UCSF maybe...Dunno tho, NYC might be the win for this category. There is nothing more impressive than returning from a short break on a grueling Surg Path rotations with the digits of a hottie...even hardened grumpy faculty will give you props for that.

Another good matrix to measure residencies by are places where you can slip out for lunch and find eligible singles to ask out on dates. Someplace where there are relatively hot non-medical types milling about.

Sounds like "The Corner" at UVA. Our CP offices happen to be just across the street. Easy access + CP schedule = plenty of lunches out of the hospital

I have to say though...ABP gets old really quick. And it's overpriced! We sometimes go to the pub nearby the hospital...good food and a cold pint of beer.

Sounds like "The Corner" at UVA. Our CP offices happen to be just across the street. Easy access + CP schedule = plenty of lunches out of the hospital

Is that where they take the candidates for lunch? That was cool place.

BU Medical has Mike's diner one block away on Washington Street...And if you are rating Boston residencies by Au Bon Pan, the New England Medical Center (Tufts) has a huge one right in th emiddle of the hospital center, frequented by South End-ers...

any nice Jewish delis down near BU? i'm figuring some hot pastrami on rye will be just what mlw is jonesing for come early Jan.

I have to say though...ABP gets old really quick. And it's overpriced! We sometimes go to the pub nearby the hospital...good food and a cold pint of beer.

Any program that appreciates a good pint is a good program in my book... :thumbup:

BH

Hey Pathmom and others:
Not to be too shameless about wanting less crazy work hours than IM residency, but what did your average work week look like as a 1st and 2nd year? Does the schedule lighten up as the residency goes on?
Also, I didn't do a path rotation as a med student and I am basing my interest on loving path during preclinical years-what did most people do as far as rotations?
I am out of school and leaving an IM residency due to an untenable family situation right now but trying to figure out how to use this degree, perhaps in a couple years. I love to read and study and I am very visually oriented -things that seem to fit well with path. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
(And yes, I do feel like complete crap about leaving a program, what will :confused happen to the other interns, and taking a spot someone else probably wanted.)

Completely agree with you.. love Au Bon Pain at BWH, specially the chocolate chips cookies, yammy...

Completely agree with you.. love Au Bon Pain at BWH, specially the chocolate chips cookies, yammy...

You used to (dunno about now) be able to smell the fresh bagels right before they put them out all the way from the residents' cubicle room(or more precisely the ratty couch I used to nap on). I remember interrupting Cotran midsentence once telling him I needed to grab a fresh cranberry bagel before the nurses snagged em.

Although I have to say, there maybe not a better place to meeting singles than the Stanford Mall now that I think about...One single lunch netted me and a buddy 5 phone numbers from randoms we happened upon.

Thank you for all the input on BU, esp. PathMom.

Pathmom, hope you can help me with a few more Qs on BU -

What kind of fellowship programs do you have?

Do you have at least one attending per specialty or most attendings are cross-covering serveral specialties.

Also, do you think your cytology dept is strong? How is a typical day like in Cyto? (I am quite interested in cytology...)

Thank you so very much.:D

Hi Rightcoaster

My average work week during my first year was probably 60 hours a week, I can't speak for other programs, but most weeks are 5 day weeks and we take a weekend call once every 7-8 weeks which involves only a few hours each day. It definitely gets better as residency goes on, especially when you are on clinical pathology...right now I work around 45 hours a week. I'm not sure if I understand your question about rotations, maybe you can be more specific? I think you definitely should see more of what pathologists do before jumping in...I love it, but it's definitely not for everyone. Make sure you can get through an autopsy, understand what grossing a specimen is, and really think about whether you are comfortable giving up patient contact. Practicing pathology is a lot more that looking at slides...

Hey Pathmom and others:
Not to be too shameless about wanting less crazy work hours than IM residency, but what did your average work week look like as a 1st and 2nd year? Does the schedule lighten up as the residency goes on?
Also, I didn't do a path rotation as a med student and I am basing my interest on loving path during preclinical years-what did most people do as far as rotations?

Hi Flintstone-

We have a cytology fellowship, and unfortunately for now that is our only one. I think we have a good cytology department, we do lots of non-gyns and go see/do FNA's. A typical day in Cyto would be signout in the morning until 10 or 11, do any scheduled FNA's, and screen the cases for the next day as the cytotechs put them out. I haven't done the fellowship, but that's what goes on as far as I can see.

We don't do subspecialty signout, so most attendings will do everything. We have specialized attendings in GI, hemepath, neuro, and pediatric and we have a separate dermpath department. But then we have attendings that might not have done a fellowship in a particular area, but they have a particular interest in that field, so we have attendings that will do consults in GU, Gyn, breast, ophthalmologic, and I can't think of anything else...

I hope that helps

PathMom,

Thank you so very much for the info. They really help.

I had to answer back to LADoc's comments about BWH having better food...
argh! MGH has good stuff too
Literally across from the hospital:

King & I: Thai
Phoenicia: Lebanese
Spotted Apron: expensive bakery
Harvard Gardens: afterhours restaurant and bar (lots o docs there!)
Finagle a Bagel
The Hill: cheaper bar then Harvard Gardens, and the place to get a good beer any night
Au Bon Pain: That's right! We do have one too!!
Coldstone Creamery: Yum! The best "dessert for dinner" option
Whole Foods
Ma Soba: sushi
Shanghai: greasy Chinese, with a lunch buffet
And the Dunkin Donuts/Osaka Sushi combo

At the hospital
24 hours Coffee Central
cafeteria is okay, and they have free 9 oclock dinners for residents :)

I'm never short of food options!!

There's Au Bon Pain everywhere in Boston. It's quite ridiculous...just when you thought you were moving from an overpriced ABP in the hospital...oh look! There's another damn ABP! :laugh:

I had to answer back to LADoc's comments about BWH having better food...
argh! MGH has good stuff too
Literally across from the hospital:

King & I: Thai
Phoenicia: Lebanese
Spotted Apron: expensive bakery
Harvard Gardens: afterhours restaurant and bar (lots o docs there!)
Finagle a Bagel
The Hill: cheaper bar then Harvard Gardens, and the place to get a good beer any night
Au Bon Pain: That's right! We do have one too!!
Coldstone Creamery: Yum! The best "dessert for dinner" option
Whole Foods
Ma Soba: sushi
Shanghai: greasy Chinese, with a lunch buffet
And the Dunkin Donuts/Osaka Sushi combo

At the hospital
24 hours Coffee Central
cafeteria is okay, and they have free 9 oclock dinners for residents :)

I'm never short of food options!!

Ahhh, finagle, boy do I miss it!

Well, I can tell you one perk to BU (though lets face it, everyone knows I am an MGH-type a gal)...

It shares the same campus as the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner!

And, wow! What an almost comprehensive list of eats! Though my personal favorite place for a pint was the Kinsale. And my favorite pizza is Venice. Now that I'm in Southie they both have changed...

Go SOX!

Mindy

are all boston people as in love with their town as the people on this forum? in my experience everyone who's from boston makes it sound like the garden of eden, and i just find that a little surprising. i've never been there, so i'm not judging, but my point is that there seems to be this "boston vs. the world" mentality whenever i talk to someone from boston. and the way i've heard they treat southerners really does worry me. there seems to be this impression among bostoners i've talked to that anyone from south of philly is a backwater hick. or anyone who actually pronounces all 3 letters in "car" doesn't know how to speak. again, i'm not speaking in jest here - as an applicant to some boston program who's from the south, i don't want to go somewhere and spend 4 years being looked down upon. is my perception correct? or are new englanders not as bad as i fear?

are all boston people as in love with their town as the people on this forum? in my experience everyone who's from boston makes it sound like the garden of eden, and i just find that a little surprising. i've never been there, so i'm not judging, but my point is that there seems to be this "boston vs. the world" mentality whenever i talk to someone from boston. and the way i've heard they treat southerners really does worry me. there seems to be this impression among bostoners i've talked to that anyone from south of philly is a backwater hick. or anyone who actually pronounces all 3 letters in "car" doesn't know how to speak. again, i'm not speaking in jest here - as an applicant to some boston program who's from the south, i don't want to go somewhere and spend 4 years being looked down upon. is my perception correct? or are new englanders not as bad as i fear?

We have some very cool residents from the south here at MGH. I'm really not sure what you mean about southerners being "looked down upon." Part of living in a city that is packed wall-to-wall with universities is that the people around you come from all over. I grew up in the Boston area, and yeah, I love it, but we're happy to share our town (our roads may be another story unfortunately). Just don't show up in a Yankees hat! :smuggrin:

People in Boston seem very open minded... As long as you don't root for the Yankees.

Oops didn't see the previous yankees reference...

I get slack for being a chargers fan, so what do I know.

A lot of the snots who reside in Boston and do in fact look down on others are not natives. Many of them are, of course, but these are often the old blue blood new englanders who can't go anywhere without their silver spoons. A lot of them, however, are actually new yorkers who consider Boston "quaint," or people from the west coast who want to turn Boston into something it is not. But New Englanders in general do have a cynical world view and often speak in generalities. However, on a one on one basis they are excellent and you should not worry about being looked down on. They will embrace you as a southerner if you are open to them. New Englanders do definitely stand up for each other and get a little annoyed at outsiders who frequently think they know better (i.e. people who complain about "massachusetts liberals" or whatever). The many southerners who complain about Boston are often people who have never really been there or those who can't get past the outward attitude.

Anyone will do fine in Boston who has a strong personality, and it helps if you are self deprecating (as it distinguishes you from the New Yorkers that people don't like) and maintain a sense of humor and are passionate about things.

And yes, I know there are many wonderful and nice New Yorkers. But many of them are not.

The heart and soul of Boston though is not really blue-blood... it's blue-collar. The democratic roots are based in the labor unions, which is a fact that is lost when MA is portrayed as a crunchy state nationally.

Boston natives (most often from Dorchester, Southie, East Boston) are extremely proud. They do not like being talked down to, are not terribly impressed with education status (most custodians have a master's degree in Boston), and prefer to eat hot dogs than sushi. They are initially suspicious of outsiders. And when they don't like you, they just don't talk to you much. Bostonians are not big on expressing feelings openly.

Here is an illustrative Southie fable: Joe was born in East Boston, but by 3 months old moved to Southie. Even though this was 40 years ago, he is still called "East Boston" Joe. See, I may live in South Boston, but I will never BE from South Boston.

I am a (an upstate) New Yorker. The New York / Boston rivalry is very real, but more weekends than not NYers and Bostonians visit (usually peacefully) eachother's cities. Even my folks car with NY plates does not get beat on when they bring it to Southie.

Initially the peculiarities may be off-putting. Boston has a very distinct culture. After a few years of residency, you'll see why everyone seems so attached to the city, though.

Mindy

I didn't grow up in Boston. I've been here only a few years. People told me that I would either love or hate Boston. I'm in the middle. I don't particularly love it...I don't hate it either.

yaah is right about the strong personalities here. I've encountered far more numbers of pretentious here in Boston than in the midwest where I did my training. The folks in the midwest are far more laid back.

In the academic setting, you have many people who have the mentality that they have to get ahead of the next guy.

This extends to life in general here. Especially the drivers here...passing is the paramount rule on the streets. I find it laughable that people here insist on passing you on the right lane. For instance, you get to an intersection and the right hand lane is for right hand turns only. But some butthole will get in the lane and actually try to race ahead of you when the light turns green. I love to race against these people and when they can't pass me, they honk. I laugh and continue to drive on because I detest this kind of behavior. People are not patient here...they are in a hurry. I love to thwart their efforts...it gives me satisfaction as I drive to work in the mornings.

Walking around...same deal. People love to walk into you expecting you to flinch and move around them. They don't respect your personal space. Sometimes I bump into people because I refuse to budge...they will sometimes get pissed. I don't apologize...why do they think they're so damn special?

Living in Boston helps you develop thick skin...fast!