Both matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pugsnhugs

Reaction score
Hi there. I am confused on how it works if I participate in both the AOA and ACGME matches. So from what I am gathering, I will be placing my ranks all on one list regardless of accreditation? So for example #1 ACGME program, #2 AOA program, #3 ACGME program. How will the match system work like this? Do I need to ask programs during interviews which side I should rank them on?

Also, if I apply from the osteopathic side of eras to a program am I required to submit usmle scores even if the program is dually accredited? Or only if I apply on the acgme side?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I am confused on how it works if I participate in both the AOA and ACGME matches. So from what I am gathering, I will be placing my ranks all on one list regardless of accreditation? So for example #1 ACGME program, #2 AOA program, #3 ACGME program. How will the match system work like this? Do I need to ask programs during interviews which side I should rank them on?

Also, if I apply from the osteopathic side of eras to a program am I required to submit usmle scores even if the program is dually accredited? Or only if I apply on the acgme side?

Thanks!
You submit two speeate rank lists. One for those participating in the DO match and one for those participating in the MD match. The DO match occurs first. If you match in the DO match then you are automatically withdrawn from the MD match. If you don’t match in the DO match then you are still able to match in the MD match. Only way to avoid getting withdrawn from the MD match is to not submit a match list for the DO match.

Okay, thanks. Will programs rank me on both sides so if I don’t match AOA I have a chance of matching with that program from the acgme side?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

A few things:

1. Applying is not the same as participating in the matches. You register for the matches separately. Its a whole other process.

2. Each match is done by different organizations (NRMP match for ACGME programs and NMS match for AOA programs). They don't overlap at all.

3. If you register for both matches, you will have two separate rank lists, one for the NMS match (AOA programs) and one for the NRMP match (ACGME programs).

4. The NMS match occurs earlier in the year, and as a result the NMS rank list is due earlier than the NRMP rank list.

5. Since the NMS match occurs earlier, if you were to match to an AOA program via the NMS match, you would be automatically pulled out of the ACGME match, meaning that even if ACGME programs ranked you, you wouldn't have a chance at them because you already matched AOA.

6. You should absolutely ask programs which match they will be participating in, and if they are in both, how many spots will be in both, and where they would like you to rank them. This is VERY program specific. Every program does things a little differently in this regard. They are the only ones that can answer this question for you. As far as where they will rank you, again this varies significantly depending on the program.

7. As far as I know (unless things have changed), it is impossible to submit USMLE through the DO side of ERAS.

A few things:

1. Applying is not the same as participating in the matches. You register for the matches separately. Its a whole other process.

2. Each match is done by different organizations (NRMP match for ACGME programs and NMS match for AOA programs). They don't overlap at all.

3. If you register for both matches, you will have two separate rank lists, one for the NMS match (AOA programs) and one for the NRMP match (ACGME programs).

4. The NMS match occurs earlier in the year, and as a result the NMS rank list is due earlier than the NRMP rank list.

5. Since the NMS match occurs earlier, if you were to match to an AOA program via the NMS match, you would be automatically pulled out of the ACGME match, meaning that even if ACGME programs ranked you, you wouldn't have a chance at them because you already matched AOA.

6. You should absolutely ask programs which match they will be participating in, and if they are in both, how many spots will be in both, and where they would like you to rank them. This is VERY program specific. Every program does things a little differently in this regard. They are the only ones that can answer this question for you. As far as where they will rank you, again this varies significantly depending on the program.

7. As far as I know (unless things have changed), it is impossible to submit USMLE through the DO side of ERAS.

Thank you so much! Makes a lot more sense now