Both MD as well as MD/PhD ... good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katvu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

Is it possible/advisable to apply for both MD and MD/PhD programs? I enjoy both aspects of medicine and while my primary interest thus far is in the clinical side, I've been encouraged by my research mentor (an MD/PhD herself) to apply to her school's MD/PhD program.

I will soon be filling out the AMCAS application and wondered whether I could designate more than one program under a single school. Does anybody know? Has anybody else done something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both and I think it is a good, safe strategy. When I got Duke's MSTP application back in '97, I was so annoyed by the fact that I had to re-type my whole AMCAS application again that I chose to apply to the straight MD program alone. For other schools, I felt that I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting into the MSTP so I applied MD only. Then there were programs where I was denied MSTP admission and placed into the regular applicant pool.

Furthermore, you can always say that you would still be interested in research if someone asks you why are you applying to straight MD programs. From here you could either re-apply to an MSTP, get an HHMI fellowship for one year, do a research-oriented fellowship or post-doc, etc.

katvu said:
I will soon be filling out the AMCAS application and wondered whether I could designate more than one program under a single school. Does anybody know? Has anybody else done something similar?

At most schools you apply MD/PhD and take your chances. There's no way to really separate yourself at most schools (some exceptions below). Occasionally, a school will interview you for both MD and MD/PhD and make separate decisions those (Baylor, UMich, Pitt are all great for this). You interview for MD while you're there. At other schools, you will not be considered for MD unless the MD/PhD doesn't want you, and at many of these schools your chances for MD acceptance will be significantly diminshed. Only one school admits that you can only apply to one or the other (UChicago).

Then again, it's not the best advice to apply to some MD-only programs and some MD/PhD programs. Both sides will question your commitment to their programs if they know (and the MD/PhD interviewers sometimes ask). This isn't to say it's going to preclude you from either one, but it may affect a decision or two.

So, say you are an average MD-only school applicant, (average being your numbers are average for most matriculating students at most schools) but you are still interested in doing research and the MD/PhD track. You do have much research experience and good EC's, LOR's, etc... Would it be a good idea to apply to some lower ranked dual degree programs and apply MD-only to most other schools? Or should one just give up the hopes of getting in a dual degree program? Keeping in mind that top priority here is getting in med school. I'm know this has been discussed before, but I am confused as I have read that it is both a good idea to apply to MD-only and MD/PhD programs and that it is a bad idea to apply to both. Under what circumstances is it good? bad?
Thanks for the info.