Botox and Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestOPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be attending Optometry school in the fall 2010 and have been doing research to find the right mode of practice after I graduate.

After visiting multiple Optometry/Ophthalmology websites I saw options for Botox procedures. I understand that different states have different laws for those who may and may not administer the Botox procedure. I have also read that malpractice insurance may increase.

I read that CA state laws mandate that physicians assistants, medical doctors, (and a list of many others) are allowed to do Botox. It did not mention optometrists.

Would these mutli-professional practices have the ophthalmologists perform the Botox? Could the optometrist hire a physicians assistant to perform the procedure?

The popularity of Botox has increased and cost of plastic surgery in general has decreased. Could the increase demand for cosmetic procedures allow for a future increase in the optometry's scope? If so, when... 5 years, 10 years, 20 years down the road?

By no means do I believe that the Botox procedure to be an essential skill that all optometrists must have, but if the training makes an optometrist a safe and effective provider, why not meet demand?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be attending Optometry school in the fall 2010 and have been doing research to find the right mode of practice after I graduate.

After visiting multiple Optometry/Ophthalmology websites I saw options for Botox procedures. I understand that different states have different laws for those who may and may not administer the Botox procedure. I have also read that malpractice insurance may increase.

I read that CA state laws mandate that physicians assistants, medical doctors, (and a list of many others) are allowed to do Botox. It did not mention optometrists.

Would these mutli-professional practices have the ophthalmologists perform the Botox? Could the optometrist hire a physicians assistant to perform the procedure?

The popularity of Botox has increased and cost of plastic surgery in general has decreased. Could the increase demand for cosmetic procedures allow for a future increase in the optometry's scope? If so, when... 5 years, 10 years, 20 years down the road?

By no means do I believe that the Botox procedure to be an essential skill that all optometrists must have, but if the training makes an optometrist a safe and effective provider, why not meet demand?

Thank you for your help.

As far as I know a Physician Asst is not allowed to administer Botox. Even in a dermatology office the doctor is the one administering the injection.

As far as ODs doing this procedure, if the state allows injectables I do not see why not. It is a self-pay procedure so the only person you would have to convince would be your patient.

And you are right, one can be trained to use Botox or any other oculofacial injections, but the difference is when the procedure has complications how proficient can you manage it? The physician asst will send it to the physician, whereas the OD would have to deal with it solo.

I have heard of Botox being used to treat Blepharospasm...are you sure that the botox on the website wasn't in reference to treatment as opposed to pure cosmetics?