bottom line...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
bottom line.. are allied health majors detrimental?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough question. Are you talking about nurses or chiropractors? I'd say chiropractors are pretty toxic-- just go to a masseuse or a physical therapist for the lower-back, random-aches-and-pains symptoms that medicine, unfortunately, cannot currently heal, rather than someone who's going to whip out 16th Century style, non-scientific myticism to make you feel better. I also remember getting a brochure about naturopathic medicine when I was applying last year-- that should also probably be outlawed as quackery.

sorry WatchingWaiting, i was a little vague with my question. what i meant to ask was, 'would majoring in an allied health major be bad for your med school application?'.

but in addition to your comment... yes i do think chiros are a bunch of quacks. i had to stifle my laughter at there explanations many a time. hehehe. i really do admire nurses.... they are underpaid and overworked, they need some respect.. really.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've freqently read that pharmacy majors and nursing majors have a low acceptance rate, and I would guess other such majors would to. If you were a nursing major, and you we're asked (in an interview) why you wanted to be a doctor, the answer "because I love people" probably wouldn't sound sincere because they would wonder why you do not just practice nursing. Probably the same with the other majors as well. Liberal Arts majors have a high acceptance rate (remember that fewer apply). I read that in two different years (~about 3 years ago) that the history major and the philosophy major had the highest percentages of acceptances per major (it was barely over 50%). If you don't think you will be a strong applicant, it may be wise to be practical and choose a major that is in demand, regardless of medical school admission statistics.

Major in something that you like. Enjoy life. What if you get to MS1 and decide its not for you? At least that business degree or mathematics or basket weaving would give you something to fall back on, just in case. It never hurts to have a plan B. And maybe even plan C.

That doesn't mean you have to be any less committed to your goals. Just take the prereq's and make sure you do something you like. If you are in your early college stages, explore life, enjoy the journey, smell the coffee. Your choice of major will have no effect on your personal admission rate. If you want in bad enough, you will get in.

I think one thing that is overlooked by analyzing major vs. admission rate is the pre-med pool bias to the Bio sciences. Maybe its just the english majors that also enjoy science happen to be more successful. Who knows. You will definately stand out more as a non-premed.