Does Crisis Text Line have a bad rep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been involved with Crisis Text Line since roughly August/September of last year, and I'm working on my activity description for it. I want to list it as one of my most meaningful because I have really learned a lot about people through my time as a crisis counselor, and the experience has had a big impact on me. There was some news a while back that the CEO (I believe - may have been someone else higher up) was not treating her employees the best. I am unsure of all the specific details, but I wasn't sure how much attention this got.

Is there anything negative about me listing this as one of my most meaningful activities?

Members don't see this ad.

I also am very passionate about my work with Crisis Text Line. While I did not list it as a most meaningful activity (mainly because I had other activities I was more passionate about), I felt it was received very well. I feel most interviewers don't know about CTL well enough to know about rumors in the mill and only see it as an activity you've done. The only negative I could think of would be that it isn't in person and in my opinion, doesn't really count as a clinical experience (I listed mine as non-clinical volunteering), so I would definitely have some clinical experiences as your other most meaningful activities. Other than that, be able to speak about what you took away from doing it, its impact on the way you think about interacting with others, and its value to practicing medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am very passionate about my work with Crisis Text Line. While I did not list it as a most meaningful activity (mainly because I had other activities I was more passionate about), I felt it was received very well. I feel most interviewers don't know about CTL well enough to know about rumors in the mill and only see it as an activity you've done. The only negative I could think of would be that it isn't in person and in my opinion, doesn't really count as a clinical experience (I listed mine as non-clinical volunteering), so I would definitely have some clinical experiences as your other most meaningful activities. Other than that, be able to speak about what you took away from doing it, its impact on the way you think about interacting with others, and its value to practicing medicine.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'm definitely just listing it as non-clinical volunteering. I just felt I learned a lot of meaningful lessons about people who are experiencing pain, whether it be physical or emotional, and I just want to speak to the value of that as it applies to practicing medicine, as you mentioned. I'm definitely glad to know that not many interviewers really read into it like that! Thanks again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't know how much I'm out of the loop on this but I've never heard any negatives, or any gossip about the bosses so I think you might be safe from an adcom perspective.

Did a Google search. Discovered I'd not heard of this situation because I don't read Teen Vogue.

NYTimes and Wall Street Journal were scooped by Teen Vogue and Mashable.

I doubt that any mud slung at the CEO would strike volunteers on the front lines of the organization. List it and don't worry about this other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, I don't know how much I'm out of the loop on this but I've never heard any negatives, or any gossip about the bosses so I think you might be safe from an adcom perspective.

Did a Google search. Discovered I'd not heard of this situation because I don't read Teen Vogue.

NYTimes and Wall Street Journal was scooped by Teen Vogue and Mashable.

I doubt that any mud slung at the CEO would strike volunteers on the front lines of the organization. List it and don't worry about this other stuff.
That makes perfect sense! I'm glad I was overthinking it. Thank you for the feedback :)

I've been involved with Crisis Text Line since roughly August/September of last year, and I'm working on my activity description for it. I want to list it as one of my most meaningful because I have really learned a lot about people through my time as a crisis counselor, and the experience has had a big impact on me. There was some news a while back that the CEO (I believe - may have been someone else higher up) was not treating her employees the best. I am unsure of all the specific details, but I wasn't sure how much attention this got.

Is there anything negative about me listing this as one of my most meaningful activities?
Not in my book!!!

No negatives from me. Consider the "competencies" you gained: usually empathy and communication skills as primary, reliability and resilience possibly secondary. Awareness of challenges regarding mental health or lack.of societal support, depending on the clientele.

No negatives from me. Consider the "competencies" you gained: usually empathy and communication skills as primary, reliability and resilience possibly secondary. Awareness of challenges regarding mental health or lack.of societal support, depending on the clientele.
Yes! Exactly what I want to discuss. Thanks so much