bowel sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a doc during rotation today to look up the definition of hyperactive/hypoactive bowel sounds. I guess what he wants is a concrete (e.g., number of gurgle or whatever that constitute hyper/hypo) definition. This all stems my progress note I wrote this morning stating the patient has hyperactive bowel sound. It was constant gurgling for more than 15 seconds. He didn't accept that definition. Is there a website that define this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by a doc during rotation today to look up the definition of hyperactive/hypoactive bowel sounds. I guess what he wants is a concrete (e.g., number of gurgle or whatever that constitute hyper/hypo) definition. This all stems my progress note I wrote this morning stating the patient has hyperactive bowel sound. It was constant gurgling for more than 15 seconds. He didn't accept that definition. Is there a website that define this? Thanks!

In class we were told that "normal" could be 5 to 34 a minute, and that pretty much they are either present or absent. I did a quick google and I only found that hyperactive could be bad in someone with GI complaints, but it never said what it was. Good Luck!

Characteristics of bowel sounds
The sounds of swallowed air and fluid moving through the GI tract are known as bowel sounds. These sounds usually occur every 5 to 15 seconds, but their frequency may be irregular. For example, bowel sounds are normally more active just before and after a meal. They may last less than 1 second or up to several seconds.
Normal bowel sounds can be characterized as murmuring, gurgling, or tinkling. Hyperactive bowel sounds can be characterized as loud, gurgling, splashing, and rushing; they're higher pitched and occur more frequently than normal sounds. Hypoactive bowel sounds are softer or lower in tone and occur less frequently than normal sounds.

Source: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Follin: .[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Professional Guide to Signs and Symptoms, 4th ed., 2004.