Boxed Warnings for Smoking Cessation Drugs

Started by Pianopooh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pianopooh

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"The FDA said it will immediately require boxed warnings about the risk of serious neuropsychiatric symptoms on the packaging of two popular smoking cessation drugs, -- varenicline (Chantix) and bupropion (Zyban, Wellbutrin, and generics).

Reports of behavioral changes, depressed mood, agitation, hostility, and suicidal thoughts and behavior associated with use of the drugs have been submitted to the FDA's adverse event reporting system. "

Srouce: http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/PublicHealth/14931
 
I didn't think that this was new news? nicotine is a stimulant and when people just come off of cigarettes they are supposed to feel like they have a new lease on life? I am sure that drugs may have some effect but maybe warning them that they will feel like **** may be a first good step
 
I didn't think that this was new news? nicotine is a stimulant and when people just come off of cigarettes they are supposed to feel like they have a new lease on life? I am sure that drugs may have some effect but maybe warning them that they will feel like **** may be a first good step

I heard this a while back as well.