boyfriend broke up with me....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how do I concentrate on my July 30th MCAT?

He broke up with me because he's moving to another state to go to optometry school and needs to be undistracted...

There's an osteopathic college in his school that I had my heart set on... so... so I need to kill this MCAT... but I can't concentrate anyways...

Help? please?

Members don't see this ad.

Take 3 days, a week, whatever, get yourself composed. Study as best you can following that. Take an AAMC FL following your content review. If your score is nowhere near where you want it, consider postponing and work on what you know you're weak on.

I understand you feel really heart-broken. But let me give it to you straight. A few weeks from now, a few months from now... this ache you feel, it will slowly diminish into a remnant memory. You will realize how you shouldn't have felt so hurt, and you shouldn't have let such heart-ache ruin your life for those couple of weeks / months (really hope not). You're about to take the MCAT. Some say this is not the biggest test of their careers, and that the USMLE is, however I disagree. You will not have a career in medicine if you don't do well on this test, and you won't even have the oppurtunity to tackle the USMLE. This is an important part of your life. Boys come and go. One day you will settle down... but the sooner you are willing to accept this breakup, the sooner you can get on with your life. A lot of the reason you feel so broken is because much of your own identity was tied with this man. You must understand you are your own person, and because he broke up with you does not mean you're any less than you were before, nor does it mean you're lacking something in your life now. You're complete as you are. Please don't let such distractions come in your way right now. You can do it. Goodluck to ya, and I'm sorry for your situation... but I promise it's temporary.

Above advice was good, too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for your support!! I feel a little better now. A little confused and sad... but better... I just need to remind myself it's temporary... and time will honestly heal my heart ache. It's life and life goes on. I shouldn't put my life on hold because of some guy.

MCAT = priority
MCAT = priority
MCAT = priority

Need reminders of that to keep me on the right path....

It's weird... one moment I'm sad... the next I'm feeling stronger... then I'm feeling sad again :(

I understand you feel really heart-broken. But let me give it to you straight. A few weeks from now, a few months from now... this ache you feel, it will slowly diminish into a remnant memory. You will realize how you shouldn't have felt so hurt, and you shouldn't have let such heart-ache ruin your life for those couple of weeks / months (really hope not). You're about to take the MCAT. Some say this is not the biggest test of their careers, and that the USMLE is, however I disagree. You will not have a career in medicine if you don't do well on this test, and you won't even have the oppurtunity to tackle the USMLE. This is an important part of your life. Boys come and go. One day you will settle down... but the sooner you are willing to accept this breakup, the sooner you can get on with your life. A lot of the reason you feel so broken is because much of your own identity was tied with this man. You must understand you are your own person, and because he broke up with you does not mean you're any less than you were before, nor does it mean you're lacking something in your life now. You're complete as you are. Please don't let such distractions come in your way right now. You can do it. Goodluck to ya, and I'm sorry for your situation... but I promise it's temporary.

Above advice was good, too. :)
Thank you, you are absoluately correct!! I need to be strong. Kill that MCAT. I don't think I can thank You and everyone else enough.

Optometry school was more important to him than you were. Why isn't the MCAT more important to you than he is?

The same thing happened to me honey, my guy got accepted into a phd and it was like later.... 3-4 months later I met a much better guy who will probably be the one. and honey dont worry guys always come back its a matter of if you want them back. So ok cry for like 1-2 days and regroup, focus on you, do you and everything else will fall into place:D Uhh this is a MCAT forum so lets ditch the drama and focus on the test! Thanks!:thumbup:

Though I'm not going through any break up, I found that with a short amount of time before my MCAT, I simply knew I had no time to feel bad about things going on that were stressful. Sure, you must address the issues if there is action to take, but you don't have time to spend on something that's already done and will not change over the next few weeks by worrying and crying. I agree you might want to take a day. However, I say you should verbally remind yourself that you simply don't have time for this. "I don't have time for this. I have too much to do. This will have to wait." Solidify your objective by stating it whenever you slip, and get yourself animated about your goals on the mcat. you can do it.

I can completely relate to this whole story.. Every single bad grade I got in college was because of a guy.. I spent too much time, energy, and concentration on them and when time for studying came I would be too tired to focus and too tired to do anything productive... I am not saying that you should be a hermit in college/med school and have no romantic relationships.. but these relationships are meant to keep you more focus and encourage you to advance not hold you back.. It should be a good supportive system. If he broke up with you, take it with grain of salt and be thankful that this relationship ended , in case in continued, it might have negatively affected your MCAT and potentially your future career. Just be patient.. my advice is not to take any time off, rather focus more and try to utilize this anger as a motif to study.. Keep telling yourself and convince yourself that the MCAT is the first step to actually achieving something that would make you equal to him, and will prove to him that you are not wasting your time but on top of your game. You need time to heal and you need to build up an identity separate from him.. think about it this way once your score is back and it is good then you are going to feel so happy and accomplished that this is going to be all behind your back.. believe me.. I was dumbed for the same reason but since I stayed away from unnecessary drama associated with guys i have fewer distractions that can utimtely keep me away from my goal that is GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL good luck

So how do I concentrate on my July 30th MCAT?

He broke up with me because he's moving to another state to go to optometry school and needs to be undistracted...

There's an osteopathic college in his school that I had my heart set on... so... so I need to kill this MCAT... but I can't concentrate anyways...

Help? please?

I'm tired so answering in bullet point:

• he's a jerk for leaving you at this point of time, especially for a selfish reason of his to be 'undistracted'
  • you're a girl, you can find a new guy much faster than he can find a new girl, I don't care if he's brad pitt
  • don't pick a school based on a significant other, especially a selfish dude
  • you'll kill the MCAT, celebrate, rub it in his face and have a night out with the girls
  • good luck!
edit: since I'm an equal opportunity poster, if you're not a girl, same advice with the caveat... you'll be bringing in more swag than he will

I threw my post-breakup energy into studying for the mcat so I could beat his 28. I did. Oh snap.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but I interpreted your first comment as insulting to people who got a 28 or lower.

I always knew I was smarter than he was anyway, but it gave me a little incentive to keep studying. I'd have been mad if he beat me.

look just be smart and dont take it fi youre not ready!

Before my Jan 30th test:

I got pneumonia on Jan. 10th, had to slowly get my things together to go to scotland on feb first, and the most amazing professor I ever had- who inspired me to pursue medicine and my drekms died unexpectedly on January 14th. The fact that I still am very sad over his passing is especially proof I wasnt ready then.

Neway I was too stubborn to let my months of practice mean nothing so I took the test and tanked it. I am positive all of that **** was on ym mind.

Just relax and let go and really dont be stubborn if youre not ready delay it! good luck

just cause he's moving does not mean it's over.

i wouldn't even have a chance at the mcats if it weren't for my boyfriend's support. he's the one who kicked my butt into finally starting to study, and he's the one i cry to when i feel like the pressure's all too much...

...and all of this OVER THE PHONE because he lives in freaking GERMANY. another state? try the other side of the world. if you've got it, distance doesn't matter.

or think of it this way, how would you like to say to a patient: "i'm sorry but my boyfriend broke up with me last night and i'm afraid i won't be able to concentrate on putting that stent in your heart."

i guess we'd better get used to it cause aint nobody cutting us slack!

just cause he's moving does not mean it's over.

i wouldn't even have a chance at the mcats if it weren't for my boyfriend's support. he's the one who kicked my butt into finally starting to study, and he's the one i cry to when i feel like the pressure's all too much...

...and all of this OVER THE PHONE because he lives in freaking GERMANY. another state? try the other side of the world. if you've got it, distance doesn't matter.

or think of it this way, how would you like to say to a patient: "i'm sorry but my boyfriend broke up with me last night and i'm afraid i won't be able to concentrate on putting that stent in your heart."

i guess we'd better get used to it cause aint nobody cutting us slack!
I like the bold... but

:confused::confused:

The guy broke up with her (assuming she's female, forgive me if you're not :)). If he wanted it they would've discussed long distance. There's really no good reason to offer the OP some semblance of hope of getting back together in a time like this, or pointing out that your BF is the reason you survive and provides a shoulder for you when things get tough, when she just went through a break up. The absolute LAST thing you want someone to do is cling on to their ex. One must find the confidence to look this situation straight in the eye and handle it. To understand their identity and security doesn't come from someone else, it ultimately comes from within themselves. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but she should gather herself and consider a long distance relationship later if she truly wants it, not because she misses the feeling of being cared for all the time. Just my opinion on the matter.

Anyway, hope things are well / improving for you OP, takecare.

Last edited:
I like the bold... but

:confused::confused:

The guy broke up with her (assuming she's female, forgive me if you're not :)). If he wanted it they would've discussed long distance. There's really no good reason to offer the OP some semblance of hope of getting back together in a time like this, or pointing out that your BF is the reason you survive and provides a shoulder for you when things get tough, when she just went through a break up. The absolute LAST thing you want someone to do is cling on to their ex. One must find the confidence to look this situation straight in the eye and handle it. To understand they're identity and security doesn't come from someone else, it ultimately comes from within themselves. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but she should gather herself and consider a long distance relationship later if she truly wants it, not because she misses the feeling of being cared for all the time. Just my opinion on the matter.

Anyway, hope things are well / improving for you OP, takecare.
Thank you everyone, and thank you pheight.

Trying to feel better, trying to focus on MCAT. Trying to put MCAT as my #1, trying...

He discussed long distance before... we were gonna do it... then it finally hit him that he was moving away from me and his state he grew up in... and he got so scared that we'd break up during his schooling and it would make him too emotional to want to continue school and would probably drop out to be with me. So, he ended it, and I respect that he put school as his #1... just sad he doesn't want to at least try... and doesn't value our relationship as much as I thought...

But anyway... babbling... Thanks for listening and all the support. It has helped me through this.. I'm still struggling though.

Thank you everyone, and thank you pheight.

Trying to feel better, trying to focus on MCAT. Trying to put MCAT as my #1, trying...

He discussed long distance before... we were gonna do it... then it finally hit him that he was moving away from me and his state he grew up in... and he got so scared that we'd break up during his schooling and it would make him too emotional to want to continue school and would probably drop out to be with me. So, he ended it, and I respect that he put school as his #1... just sad he doesn't want to at least try... and doesn't value our relationship as much as I thought...

Ah, sounds like a hard situation to be in. I know what it's like when people give you advice and you hear it to be true but it's still hard. It will get better, there's no doubt about that..

But anyway... babbling... Thanks for listening and all the support. It has helped me through this.. I'm still struggling though.
Don't mention it, and hey.. what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Oh man...I can relate to this.

I can only tell you what my experiences have been. I've been through a lot of painful breakups in school, and I think one mistake that I made was that I didn't allow myself to actually grieve. I always "numbed out" with studying so I didn't have to feel as awful. With that said, I think that it's important to have perspective. My loneliness was temporary. One thing that helped for me to have was the self-confidence that I could get through difficulty, and I held myself to stringent standards of self-care and self-respect.

When I feel rejected in relationships, it's sometimes tempting for me to put more worth in grades, mcat scores, etc. to derive self-esteem. I know that might sound weird, but I can't think of a better way to explain it. One lesson that has been helpful for me to learn (and continue to learn, b/c I am NOT perfect with this) is that self-worth is not about my boyfriend, mcat scores, grades, acceptance to med schools, etc. It's about how I feel at the end of the day about my life. It doesn't mean that I'm 100% ok with all of my behavior. Rather, it's about having the humility to accept and improve where you can, but not beating yourself up over your mistakes.

Sometimes, I feel more in control if I can focus on the MCAT. I notice that I do it if things with my family are crappy (my parents are divorcing), I fight with someone close to me (….long stories, all of them), or I just generally feel like a loser who has nothing to do but study. The MCAT distracts me in a way….but the feelings are still there. "What you resist, persists."

Also, another thing that helped me was to only think about how I thought, felt, and experienced the relationship with my ex-bf. At a certain point, I was so upset about why he wasn't satisfied in our relationship that I took it really personally…like I wasn't good enough. Which is false! I came to see that it's ok that he didn't want to be with me. In fact, the whole experience taught me that I'm happy on my own, and I only want to be with a guy who really added something to my life. If they don't want to be with me, I don't want anything to stop them from leaving, because 1) I deserve better than that; 2) Life is short and 3) I'm happy on my own. I enjoyed our relationship, but I also wanted more than he can give. I felt a lot of closure when I really accepted those things as true.

It's not a personal thing, he just wanted something different, and he's allowed to have that opinion. Idk….hopefully this long, convoluted post will be of some help to you. And no worries about "babbling" on your end. Personally, I find it comforting to know someone out there is dealing with the same stuff. I can't turn off my emotions as easily as some other people, and I choose to see that as a strength. But I sometimes can't help feeling more fragile than the average super-human pre-med type.

Last edited:
I seem to be playing the role of the jerk on the forum lately.

He broke up with you because he didn't want to be distracted. If he had that little regard for your relationship, you are better off without that loser. Kill the MCAT and become a better Doctor than he will ever be!

I would strongly suggest you reconsider your reasoning for going to that school. Go to the school that best benefits YOU. He certainly didn't care enough about "us" (as in your couple) when he broke up with you. Don't try to get into the same school so that you can try and get back together with him. You can find someone much better than that.

Sounds like to me he wanted to break up with you anyway, and this was just an excuse.

Better off without him.

Thanks all. I'm kicking him to the curb. :thumbup:
I feel a lot stronger now and now I look like :laugh: in real life. ;)