BR test 1 physical sciences q 8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010premed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which salt is the MOST difficult one from which to extract silver cation from its ionic lattice into solution?
  • AgBr</SPAN>
  • Ag2CO3
</SPAN>
A: A

First of all, I don’t understand how this question is asking for the LEASt soluble salt, I thought it was asking for the most soluble salt, since then it would be hard to extract the AG from, b/c it’s mixed in the solution. Second of all, the molar solubility value for AgBr is given as 9.6 x 10^-7. Why isn’t Ag2CO3 even less soluble, b/c I thought that according the solubility rules CO3 salts are not soluble?? (The value for Ag2CO3 is not given in the table)

Members don't see this ad.

if it's difficult to break out of its lattice (as it exists as a solid), it doesn't want to break down into ions. more difficult to break out of lattice = less soluble.

i dont know about the second part. dunno what other info there is. but keep in mind for 2 cpds with very similar Ksp values, the one with 3 ions is going to be more soluble. that may be part of it...