Braces & Jaw Surgery during medical school?

Started by ChartaBona
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChartaBona

MD Class of 2017
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I have some questions for those who have/had braces.

I went to an orthodontist ~2 months ago, and he confirmed my suspicions: my teeth are terrible and need braces. I'm okay with getting braces, but he also told me that I would need jaw surgery ~18 months after starting braces, or it would all be for naught. I have a significant open bite that he said will be crippling by the time I'm 30.

More recently I was accepted to a medical school (UVM) 5 hours away, and I plan on matriculating there.

I have a few questions:

Is the orthodontist going to drop me the second I tell him I'm moving, or would he apply the braces, and then someone in VT would do the adjustments/ followups?

Is it possible to have jaw surgery during medical school, or is that not feasible? The only gap I can think of would be between MS1 and MS2, but I heard you need to do something productive (research or international work) or your chances in certain specialties will be slim.

I'm going to see the orthodontist again in 2 weeks, and I don't want to seem like a fool.

Thanks everyone.
 
Ask your orthodontist what type of braces he uses. Look up the orthodontists on your insurance near UVM and ask what type of braces they use. There are different kinds, so you'll need to make sure your current orthodontist gives you the a type that can be adjusted by someone in your new area. It might be best to contact a doctor in Vermont and do the entire thing there, including the surgery if possible. Try to find out the recovery time. I wouldn't expect it to be much longer than 1-2 weeks, so you can probably fit research/other stuff around it that summer if necessary.
 
I've had both, and I can sum up the experience of upper jaw surgery and recovery in one word: hell.

I spent an entire summer recovering from jaw surgery and it was the most miserable experience of my life; it was 10 times worse than wrestling practice.

Here's why:

1. The moment I woke from anesthesia and as soon as I sat upright, my nose was a gravity powered fountain of blood and pain. I was shoving gauze in my nostrils for several days to stop the bleeding.

2. My body felt taxed and stressed from the liquid food I had to constantly prepare, blend, and suck through a straw all day.

3. I was in la la land all the time because of the liquid oxycodone I had to take regularly.

4. I was always at home, sitting in a chair, and reading books. I wasn't able to have fun with my friends who were floating the river all day in the summer sun. When I did go out with friends my face was swollen and I looked like a chipmunk, and it ruined any chances I had with my high school crush.

5. The orthodontist (by the way I absolutely ABHOR orthodontists) kept me on wires and bands all the time to make sure I was progressing to those pearly white teeth he was looking for. After about two or three months, I was done with the bands, and in another 3 months the braces came off.

6. The surgery made my gums recede to the point where I was getting gum grafts in college (which isn't that bad of a procedure), and costing me more money and teeth drama.

7. As a result, I'm not applying to dental school.

Now let me tell you bro, there is absolutely NO WAY you could survive jaw surgery as a medical student, unless you did it the first day after the end of your first year of medical school. You would then spend the last summer of your life in misery and build up enough stress to destroy you before you even start second year; it could be doable, but it would be rough.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go to another orthodontist for a second look. Maybe someone can do it without jaw surgery, all orthodontists are not the same. It is best that you start braces somewhere that you know you are going to live for at least 2 years. Driving 4-5 hrs for an appointment every month rly suck and is probably not doable as a medical student. Braces is a nuisance but you'll get used to it, but jaw surgery... man I would not go for that unless it's really necessary.
Ps: just looked up jaw surgery for open bite, man all I have to say is good luck lol...
 
I've had both, and I can sum up the experience of upper jaw surgery and recovery in one word: hell.

I spent an entire summer recovering from jaw surgery and it was the most miserable experience of my life; it was 10 times worse than wrestling practice.

Here's why:

1. The moment I woke from anesthesia and as soon as I sat upright, my nose was a gravity powered fountain of blood and pain. I was shoving gauze in my nostrils for several days to stop the bleeding.

2. My body felt taxed and stressed from the liquid food I had to constantly prepare, blend, and suck through a straw all day.

3. I was in la la land all the time because of the liquid oxycodone I had to take regularly.

4. I was always at home, sitting in a chair, and reading books. I wasn't able to have fun with my friends who were floating the river all day in the summer sun. When I did go out with friends my face was swollen and I looked like a chipmunk, and it ruined any chances I had with my high school crush.

5. The orthodontist (by the way I absolutely ABHOR orthodontists) kept me on wires and bands all the time to make sure I was progressing to those pearly white teeth he was looking for. After about two or three months, I was done with the bands, and in another 3 months the braces came off.

6. The surgery made my gums recede to the point where I was getting gum grafts in college (which isn't that bad of a procedure), and costing me more money and teeth drama.

7. As a result, I'm not applying to dental school.

Now let me tell you bro, there is absolutely NO WAY you could survive jaw surgery as a medical student, unless you did it the first day after the end of your first year of medical school. You would then spend the last summer of your life in misery and build up enough stress to destroy you before you even start second year; it could be doable, but it would be rough.

Oh god, that's terrible. It's not like I have any other options though :scared:. What you're saying is it's either then or never. I don't want to be Dr. Openbite, the guy who can't eat pizza, sandwiches, pasta, or potato chips without looking like a fool and getting food on his white coat.
 
Oh god, that's terrible. It's not like I have any other options though :scared:. What you're saying is it's either then or never. I don't want to be Dr. Openbite, the guy who can't eat pizza, sandwiches, pasta, or potato chips without looking like a fool and getting food on his white coat.


Okay it's not horrible.. here's my experience with braces and upper/lower jaw surgery

I had a Leforte I osteotomy and a bilateral saggital split osteotomy b/c I had an open and crossbite

I did it during winter break and still went into the spring semester. I also, somehow, interviewed for a job a WEEK AFTER THE SURGERY!! Now, I seriously don't know how I was even understood, but I did get the job!

My face was swollen for a long time. I also didn't leave the house much, but honestly, that was pretty much my lifestyle anyway for the most part. Watched a ton of tv and did some photoshop drawings. did get out to see a few movies. The surgeon stressed the importance of still getting out of the house even if you don't feel like it.

Pain wasn't bad except for 1 day when I forgot a dose of hydrocodone, wow the pain. If you keep up on what they give you, you pretty much have no pain.

Diet, obviously restricted. Liquid diet, then soft food diet a few weeks. I ate a ton of blended food and macncheese and lasagna. Just eat even if you're not hungry, after like a day or so, I think I became dehydrated - I felt like death and had to force myself to drink those Ensure shakes.

I think if you get it done right when a break begins and have at least a 2 weeks free afterwards, you'll be fine.

If you have any questions, PM me.
 
The braces are definitely doable. Jaw surgery (I had jaw surgery as well, but not quite as extreme as the poster above)...probably not that fun. However, if it needs to be done, I'm sure you can work with your med school to take a leave of absence or something.
 
I would talk to you medical school about it. This may be the worst idea ever, but have you thought of deferring your acceptance for another year while you do your surgeries?
 
I would talk to you medical school about it. This may be the worst idea ever, but have you thought of deferring your acceptance for another year while you do your surgeries?

I think deferring would be worse. I've already closed the pre-med chapter on my life, and I'll go nuts if I don't start medical school in 2013.

I've been thinking it over since starting this thread, and I realized that as bad as Shenanigans made it sound, It's still just dental surgery. I'm going to look, talk, and feel like garbage, but I don't think it would stop me from going to class for more than a week (if I actually go to lectures in medical school.)

I did call up the med school more recently, and they said worst case scenario I'd have to take a short MLOA and make up whatever I missed. Considering medical school is largely self study, the lectures are online, and this particular school's pre-clinical grades don't affect one's rank, I'm starting to think this won't be as big a deal as I first thought. I'd probably only miss a couple hours of lab or a small group discussion.

I'll be seeing the orthodontist tomorrow, and hopefully we can put together some plan where I can start braces here and finish everything in medical school. I think if I put it off until starting medical school, the surgery would fall during MS3 rotations or the study period for Step 1, which is no bueno.
 
Yeah sorry I didn't mean to scare you, but the surgery does basically suck to put it bluntly. I'm just trying to say that in my case it would definitely affect my ability to learn and perform well in medical school.
 
Maybe your program would allow you to do M3/4 on a slightly truncated schedule so that you would have some time between M2 and M3 to recover from your surgery?
 
Granted, I am not the one facing this situation. But if I was, this is what I'd do:

1. Get a second opinion... and maybe even a third opinion.
2. If this is something you absolutely need to do, figure out if your current insurance will cover it, and how might this coverage change once you start med school.
3. If this is needed and covered, I would choose to get it over with ASAP. That way you can put it behind yourself and focus solely on med school when you start. You will no longer have this major surgery looming some time in the future.

Again, that's what I'd do.
 
Saw the orthodontist today. They said I either get everything with them or nothing at all. They also said the recovery time could be 6 months if the oral surgeon operates on both jaws. I'm just going to have to wait until I'm done with medical school and residency (I'll be in my early 30's) to get my teeth fixed.

I'm kinda upset that my parents refused to take me to an orthodontist when I was younger. They made six figures, but told me braces were too expensive. They thought buying a new SUV and Pick-Up Truck was more important. Nothing I can do about it now, though.
 
Saw the orthodontist today. They said I either get everything with them or nothing at all. They also said the recovery time could be 6 months if the oral surgeon operates on both jaws. I'm just going to have to wait until I'm done with medical school and residency (I'll be in my early 30's) to get my teeth fixed.

I'm kinda upset that my parents refused to take me to an orthodontist when I was younger. They made six figures, but told me braces were too expensive. They thought buying a new SUV and Pick-Up Truck was more important. Nothing I can do about it now, though.

I had a upper and lower maxillary osteotomy and the time that I was on a liquid/soft diet from what I remember was like 2 months. You only really need 1 month off (or maybe just 3 weeks) because that first month sucks. The other 5 months of recovery you're doing normal stuff. It's just your face and jaw won't feel totally normal until 5-6 months after.

I think you would have to start your braces like right now if you wanted to have your surgery by summer of MS1-MS2

There's a kid in my class that's doing this right now and he's in med school, I think if you just figure out your orthodontist problems you'd be good to go.
 
I had a upper and lower maxillary osteotomy and the time that I was on a liquid/soft diet from what I remember was like 2 months. You only really need 1 month off (or maybe just 3 weeks) because that first month sucks. The other 5 months of recovery you're doing normal stuff. It's just your face and jaw won't feel totally normal until 5-6 months after.

I think you would have to start your braces like right now if you wanted to have your surgery by summer of MS1-MS2

There's a kid in my class that's doing this right now and he's in med school, I think if you just figure out your orthodontist problems you'd be good to go.

I told them I wanted to start right away, but they were like:

hqdefault.jpg


I feel like I'm out of options now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to do this. Taking a year off to get a masters 2-3rd year probably. Right after the step, going into surgery. Not sure if this is a good idea but it's what I have so far.


Had braces in the past but it couldn't correct my bite.
 
If you only need one jaw done then the recovery time is much much faster.
But you need to find a orthodontist first that you can see on a monthly basis in VT. As well as get an evaluation from a OFMS.
 
I told them I wanted to start right away, but they were like:

hqdefault.jpg


I feel like I'm out of options now.

I had the worst open bite when I was in high school. I didn't originally have one, but I had jaw problems so my dentist gave me an appliance that actually CREATED an open bite. And after he created an open bite he wanted to do surgery on it to fix it the open bite, and the appliance did nothing for my jaw issue. Needless to say, my parents and I were pissed because surgery was going to be around $16k and the appliance was $5k. So we ditched the dentist and went looking EVERYWHERE for jaw specialists, TMJ specialists, other orthodontists, etc etc. I guess my point is, keep searching for dentists and get 4th, 5th, heck even 10th opinions. Yes, each visit to a dentist just to get an opinion can cost around $100 per visit, but jaw surgery is not your everyday procedure, and you want to make absolutely sure that it is your last option. My open bite definitely caused alot of problems in high school, but I'm so glad I did not get the surgery. I still have jaw problems though, and dentists have said that I'd have it for the rest of my life, but I'm used to it now so it's not too big of an issue for me anymore. Goodluck, man
 
I just had my jaw surgery for an underbite (maxillary advancement and mandibular retraction) this past July. My braces were put on September 2011 and I should be getting them off march 2013.

Overall the braces were easy. I was a senior in undergrad last year, and my college was 3 hours away from the orthodontist. I didn't have any trouble with this cus I only had to see her once every few months, she knew I went to school in a different city and she was very accommodating.

My surgery experience was also good. I was feeling fine after a month. The first two weeks were hell, not exaggerating they were the worst - I always felt terrible and was even questioning why I did the surgery and I had an extreme underbite. But it got a lot better after that second week and I stopped taking the prescribed Vicodin after 2 weeks. Even though I was feeling fine after a month I was still on a liquid diet for another 2 weeks (6 weeks total) and that can get annoying. I was eating normally 3 months after the surgery.

My surgeon was excellent, the ortho recommended him and I researched him to make sure he was good. My best advice would be to research your surgeon because they are not all the same, and you wanna go for the best. Like my experience was much better than shenanigansMD, similar surgeries, and I bet the difference was in the surgeons- my surgeon was world renown and very experienced.

Ideally, you would want to give yourself 2 months recovery time before starting school again, but I could have started school after one month based on how I was feeling ( the liquid diet might have been tricky to manage though). I started taking an anatomy class about 1.5 months after the surgery and I had no problems.

Just remember that this is a very long process and might seem really crappy at times but it will all work out with time. I forgot to mention the swelling, which was very annoying, but subsided after 2 months. You can also listen to some stories on YouTube, which I found very helpful. Good luck!!!!!