Brain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowy

Will I ever be a doctor?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I learn the functions of the different regions of the brain? I couldn't tell you what the occipital or parietal regions do. But from the kaplan tests I've taken so far, I've had to know what the cerebellum does (on 2 or 3 tests... ridiculous), but basically no other regions.

I'm also confused on what controls breathing, is it the medulla oblongata or the pons?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I learn the functions of the different regions of the brain? I couldn't tell you what the occipital or parietal regions do. But from the kaplan tests I've taken so far, I've had to know what the cerebellum does (on 2 or 3 tests... ridiculous), but basically no other regions.

I'm also confused on what controls breathing, is it the medulla oblongata or the pons?

the medulla and the pons both assist in regulation of breathing although the pons is the major player here.

Medulla - Cardiorespiratory center
* cardiovascular functions helps control heart rate.
* also is in control of innvoluntary things like vomiting, coughing
* It helps regulate breathing by communicating with the pons.

Pons
* two different centers specific for breathing... one that stimulates inhaling and one that stimulates exhaling.

as far as learning the functions of the brain...it wont take that long. just look at it a few times. you can just konw the general functions you dont need to every little detial.

cerebellum = balance (remember it cuz it rolls of the tongue well... bellum-balancec bellum-balance bellum-balance)

occipital = vision

frontal = motor movement and reasoning

parietal = sensory

temporal = hearing and smell (hearing is on the lateral side smell is on the medial side)

thats really all you need to know. thatll take like 5 min to learn just make flash cards or something.

EDIT: i re arranged so it is easier to read.

sweeeet, thanks. I can remember that, it's not too much.