brand new USMD (Ponce STL) campus vs. more established DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellesandra319

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if we can have a conversation about the risk/benefits of choosing an established DO program with decent match lists over a brand new campus of a MD program, or vice versa. it just feels risky to pick a school that hasn’t matched a single class, even though it’s a USMD program, but i don’t know if that feeling is valid or not.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USMD over DO every time. I’m a 3rd year DO student at one of the “best” DO schools

Reactions: 1 users
I also struggle to imagine that a DO school would be preferable over even a new MD school. But regardless, interview, judge for yourself, and make an informed decision if indeed you wind up with a decision to make.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What if this MD program is hilariously bad? It probably definitely isn't but if it is somehow worse than Caribbean. Does this MD over DO rule of thumb still apply

You say “brand new campus” of an MD program. Does this mean that there are other campuses that have matched. If so, most residencies would probably just assume it’s the same as the main campus.

There are also some schools (ex. Kaiser) that haven’t matched a single class but will have elite match lists, or at least I would assume

Reactions: 1 users
What if this MD program is hilariously bad? It probably definitely isn't but if it is somehow worse than Caribbean. Does this MD over DO rule of thumb still apply
"Worse than Caribbean"...I spit my coffee out on that line laughing. For sure, you can't be serious.

One the one hand, Ponce has full LCME accreditation, and the clinical partner (Mercy) has 800+ beds, which is a pretty decent size. It's also supposed to spend $80 million on a new campus north of St. Louis.

On the other hand, Ponce was acquired by these guys in 2014.

Reactions: 1 user

One the one hand, Ponce has full LCME accreditation, and the clinical partner (Mercy) has 800+ beds, which is a pretty decent size. It's also supposed to spend $80 million on a new campus north of St. Louis.

On the other hand, Ponce was acquired by these guys in 2014.
I thought that lcme only accredited MD schools?