Brazilian model dies from resistant P. aeruginosa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FAMUPharmD09

Pharm.D.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If this doesn't show that nothing in life is guaranteed, nothing will.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_model_dies

Prayers to the young lady's family.

As a future pharmacist (May 3, 2009- Lord willing!) ESBL p. aeruginosa scares the bejesus out of me. Pharmacists must and should be able to provide antibiotic stewardship and prevent indiscriminate use of antibiotics. Any thoughts or experiences?
 
Last edited:
this is the first time I've seen the bug named - everything I read said nephrolithiasis -> pyelo -> sepsis.

but no mention of bacteria in question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have read this article. Very sad story. I believe there is a ton of stories like this happening but because they are not famous, so we do not know or care. I hope we will all pray for them, together with a Brazil model.
 
I have read this article. Very sad story. I believe there is a ton of stories like this happening but because they are not famous, so we do not know or care. I hope we will all pray for them, together with a Brazil model.

I agree 100%
 
Though I don't fully trust the article since it's written by a layman instead of a case study, I'm interested in seeing what regimen was offered to her.

If surgery was the only option, then I wonder if it was nectrotizing fasciitis by Streptococcus pyogens...but not Ps. A.
 
It didn't sound like nec fasc from the articles I read - but that the amputations were due to lack of perfusion secondary to sepsis... but as you said, written by layman.
 
It didn't sound like nec fasc from the articles I read - but that the amputations were due to lack of perfusion secondary to sepsis... but as you said, written by layman.
Yes; sounded maybe like lack of perfusion 2ndary to DIC that developed consequent to the sepsis.
 
It didn't sound like nec fasc from the articles I read - but that the amputations were due to lack of perfusion secondary to sepsis... but as you said, written by layman.

would the lack of peripheral perfusion have been from heavy use of pressors?
 
heavy pressor use, septic shock - massive vasodilation leading to crappy peripheral perfusion, DIC.

sounds like a great formula for getting your extremities chopped off as a last ditch effort.

I'm starting to feel old - I've got 5 years on this girl. It recently occurred to me while watching college football that I'm older than all those guys on the field.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We just have to harness viruses and get going on nanotechnology. We'll be fine when we can instruct a million little robo buggers to jump inside our vascular system and kill all harmful bacteria.

Can't wait! :xf:

Haven't you seen I Am Legend??? No thanks! I'll take my chances rather than being turned into a vampire-ish type creature.
 
I feel sorry for her family/relatives and loved ones. My condolences to them for their loss.
It would be interesting to see the treatment regiments for this case.